1998 Suburban LS K1500 (K = 4WD)

Very nice shape

-power windows

-power locks

-roof rack

-3rd row seat

-5.7L V8 (gasoline)

-"barn door" rear doors

I was surprised when I started looking at Suburbans at just how comfortable both seats of rear seats are. I could see myself being comfortable in any seating position for a long trip. We bought it because we recently moved to Idaho, and our Saturn coupes just aren't made to get along with hard packed dirt mountain roads. So, we have our Saturns for good fuel economy daily drivers, and the Suburban for hauling people (friends here, or friends & family that come to visit) and for rough-roading adventures. :)

Plus we got it for about $1,000 under Kelley Blue Book TRADE-IN value! :D

Edited by PurdueGuy

Congrats on the purchase. Sounds like you got a good deal. Post more pics when you can.

Back in the '90s I totally wanted a Suburban (GMC though), even though it was a very impractical vehicle for my needs (I started really wanting one when they redesigned them in '92, when I was 17 years old!). I remember sitting in them at all the auto shows up through the turn of the century. I sold a few whenI worked at the dealership back in 1999/2000. I got to drive one out to a customer's house, about 50 miles or more from my dealership, for an at-home delivery. Unfortunately, I had to drive their trade-in back - a '97 or '98 Chrysler Town & Country that was not well cared for. I was impressed with the all-new-for-2000 Yukon XL, but the pricing and fuel economy (plus the lack of a need for such a big vehicle) still continues to keep one out of my hands.

Best of luck with your new ride, and keep us posted.

• 5 years later...

Awesome, I still have my 94 Subruban and they rock, roomy, comfortable. You will come to really love these people/ stuff haulers.

Been quite a while since I posted this, and I see all my images are broken. But I guess an update is in order:

Still own the truck. From what I can recall, I've replaced the water pump, the trans fluid & filter, changed the oil several times, new plugs & wires, air filter, and the tires. I also had a shop hunt down an issue that caused the air conditioning to stop working. (It of course decided to stop working on a trip to Vegas on a 118 degree July 4 weekend a few years ago). They replaced the spiderweb of AC hoses under the hood, as they supposedly detected a leak in a bit that couldn't be replaced by itself. The real issue ended up being a pressure switch.

It's been a super useful, comfortable truck. We used it last summer to haul a friend's raft to go whitewater rafting, and they were so impressed that they're looking for a good cheap used suburban now too. Trouble is, they can't find a deal as good as we got 6 years ago! Suburbans seem to be holding their value very well, or at least the value has a fairly high bottomed out value.

True, Clean solid Suburbans do hold their value.

And now new production numbers are down from where they used to be, so there's less of them all around. Less inventory = higher demand and pricing.