FLY HELP... MIGHT BE GETTING AN OLDS AURORA! UPDATE!

I have been very busy for the past 4 weeks half a$$ car shopping in part because of the new 3,000 rebate on Equinox/Torrent got me thinking. Either way my sons car *actually mine!* is getting old. The Grand Prix has been a good car for us but at 115,000 miles and rattles and that dent in the door, I have been thinking about getting him something newer. My wife has had the same thought. He had just said get a Torrent or Equinox and hand the Impala down to him. Fact is my wife loves that car (I have no clue why she loves it, it is just a nice car!). She wants to try to save money and go used... I would love to actually give GM some buisness and go new. I have been considering it and I am getting quotes over the net etc. But it has come to my attention my son's cross country coach/PE teacher (he is actually the manager) may be selling his 2001 Olds Aurora 3.5L Sedan to get a newer 2003 Olds Aurora 4.0L with navigation. My son has been wanting a 2003-2005 Grand Am GT Coupe or Sunfire (w/5spd) he would really like a G5. But the idea of a large car has its appeals to him and me. I have no clue on price I am guessing it will be around 7,500-8,500 it is maroon with most options but chrome wheels, heated seats and the V8. The car has 62,XXX almost 63,000 miles on it would that be a good car? It is nicer than my wifes and she will not DRIVE another red Olds. My 88 blew 2 trannys lol but other than that was a great car. My wife called it the old lady car. She was only in her 30's when she drove it. My two old aunts owned it and drove it to chruch. But uhh seriously is the backseat roomy? How is the engine as far as reliablity wise? Will the 3.5 run on regular grade gas not premium? What kind of fuel economy will it deliever and will it hold up to the abuse (sorta not abuse abuse) but my teenage son and his need for well speed. What is this car worth and should I consider. It has been waxed and very well maintained also garged its whole life and was purchased new in 2001 for the local Olds dealer. So what to do? I am starting to consider, my son would just be happy for a new car and one with a 215hp V6 none the less. Along with a SUNROOF! :scratchchin: Just thinking FLY, this one is for you! And 98 I understand you know Olds like the back of your hand! :scratchchin::rolleyes:

Also what was the approx. sticker price? What is the axle ratio? What is the tranny? - A 4T65E maybe? What is the axle ratio? And what is a zero to sixty time? What are the exact specs on the motor like I know it is a 3.5L DOHC V6 with 215hp but how much tq. and how many cubes is it? Any help is GREATLY APPERCIATED! I am not the know it all about OLDS MAN like some folks around here are! Are there any big problems these cars have and need to get replaced like a blown head gasket you know. Or the clunk noise on my SLE's steering rack?

Edited by gm4life

Fuel economy? And is it just a good car? Will it have about the same amount of guts (or nuts as some say) as my Bonneville SLE?

Mom went from a 94 Bonneville to a 2001 Aurora... the best impression I can give you is the Bonneville will feel gutsier and faster, however, the Aurora in reality is the faster one. The Bonneville has the low end grunt of the 3800 where as the Aurora has the smoothness of DOHC. Think of your expectations if you were comparing the Bonneville to say a Lincoln LS V6. Even though it was "only" an Oldsmobile, the Aurora really was more in the Lincoln's class than the Bonneville's.

edit: Fuel economy seems to be slightly lower than her Bonneville. She complains about getting 27mpg on the highway because she was spoiled by the 30mpg from the Bonneville.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

Thanks that is a good way to put it. The 3800 has lots of low end pull but I can rest assured the Aurora will move. I agree the SLE feels alot faster than it is. Do they sound good with the dual exhaust when you fire 'em up?

Edited by gm4life

But uhh seriously is the backseat roomy?

Yes, with more practical headroom than your Bonneville. The faster roofline of the Bonnies cuts down on headroom a bit while the taller greenhouse of the Aurora (and LeSabre) make rear entry much easier.

How is the engine as far as reliablity wise?

I'm not as in-depth on the overall reliability of the Shortstar as Aurora 3.5 or Intrigue owners are, but from all accounts, its a good engine if maintained properly. By the time of the second-generation Aurora, all of the early teething problems suffered by the Intrigues who first adopted the Shortstar were resolved.

Will the 3.5 run on regular grade gas not premium?

Yes, its fine with 87 octane. No need for hi-test.

What kind of fuel economy will it deliever and will it hold up to the abuse (sorta not abuse abuse) but my teenage son and his need for well speed.

Most I've seen have reported low- to mid-20s in mixed driving; rated at 18/27. As with most GM DOHC engines, they love to be wound up and many small performance problems and carbon buildup in Northstar et al engines can be attributed to the soft loafing they get from their older-than-average owners.

What is this car worth and should I consider. It has been waxed and very well maintained also garged its whole life and was purchased new in 2001 for the local Olds dealer. So what to do? Also what was the approx. sticker price?

KBB values the car at $8140. New, it was priced at

What is the axle ratio? What is the tranny? - A 4T65E maybe? What is the axle ratio? And what is a zero to sixty time? What are the exact specs on the motor like I know it is a 3.5L DOHC V6 with 215hp but how much tq. and how many cubes is it?

The 3.5l is 212cid rated at 215hp@5600, 230lb-ft@4400. Final drive ratio is 3.29:1. You're spot-on with the transmission. Expect a 0-60 around 7 to 8 seconds. Here's the Oldsmobile spec sheet for 2002 (everything is identical though)

Oldsmobile Aurora Product Info Guide

Any help is GREATLY APPERCIATED! I am not the know it all about OLDS MAN like some folks around here are! Are there any big problems these cars have and need to get replaced like a blown head gasket you know. Or the clunk noise on my SLE's steering rack?

I've heard of intermidiate steering shaft issues with all 2000-01 G-bodies, including the Aurora. My father's car doesn't suffer from it though.

The Aurora in general is a vehicle I would highly recommend. The ride quality, acoustics, handling, and driving experience is hard to match today as most vehicles have either gone too sporty or too expensive. Its a wonderful road trip cruiser while still being reasonable to handle in town. Chassis-wise, you're familiar with it from your SLE and the biggest differentiator is the powertrain. The 3.5l Shortstar will be a different experience from the 3800; not as gruff and not quite as torquey straight off the line (these aren't tire-shredders), but a smoother powerband with a good amount of torque and horsepower at higher RPMs. Expect softer seats and a more compliant ride than your SLE, but still very composed. As I always say, check to make sure EVERY option works - seats, mirrors, radio functions - nothing is worse than a luxury car with something inop. Test drive it and check before and after under the engine for any leaks (4.0s were more prone to dripping than 3.5s).

Also, go ahead and browse some of the second-gen forums at the Aurora Club of North America, which is like the only active Olds Aurora forum out there. Don't let all the 'problem' threads scare you because, heck, that's what most owner's sites talk about anyway.

But good luck and let us know. If there's anything else I can answer, please ask!

Thanks that is a good way to put it. The 3800 has lots of low end pull but I can rest assured the Rora got game?

It's got game, but it's more refined than the Bonneville and thus might feel slower when in fact it's actually just smoother.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

I briefly owned a 2001 Aurora 4.0, and I also test drove an Aurora 3.5. With the smaller engine, the car is not underpowered, but neither is it overpowered. A Bonneville or LeSabre with the 3800 will feel more powerful. If it was my money, I would probably get a LeSabre because of the bulletproof 3800, but the Aurora with Shortstar should be a relatively trouble-free car, and the interior is one of GM's best.

I got my coworker to buy a Aurora with a Shortstar. So far, good.. She drove it across the country too. No problems. She was about to buy a Lincoln and something else when I talked to her and she has had it for a year now. She thanks me for introducing her to the car. I rode in the car. It has the same features as my Ninety Eight. The only thing it did not have was the trunk pull down and digital gauges. It had everything else. I do not know why I thought about the Eighty Eight LSS, but I did with this car. Nice interior and fit and finish.

I just bought a silver 2001 Aurora 3.5 about 2 weeks ago. Not only does it turn heads but its got a great interior. Ive found the V6 to have lots of power yet run smoother then the old 3.8 V6 that GM has used for so many years. The only thing to watch for is some 2nd gen Auroras leak in the trunk (from around the turn signal and license plate) but some RTV sealent will fix that right up. Also be ready to build a bigger garage because its almost impossible not to fall in love with this car. I went out and bought a car cover 2 days after buying it lol.

Good luck!

All I have heard so far is good. He is still trying to figure out what he wants for it. I doubt I would give him anything over 8 grand. Thanks so much for all the help. I will update with the progress, if it is too high I won't buy. If it fits into what I consider fair it prolly will be a done deal.

Edited by gm4life

Well I have some more details about the Aurora, it has a moonroof, no Onstar, no Bose sound-system or heated seats. Also it just has the regular 16' alloy wheels. Can anyone tell me what the other big options were along with an estimated sticker price? By the way the car is Maroon with a tan-ish interior. Any idea what the color is called?

Well I have some more details about the Aurora, it has a moonroof, no Onstar, no Bose sound-system or heated seats. Also it just has the regular 16' alloy wheels. Can anyone tell me what the other big options were along with an estimated sticker price? By the way the car is Maroon with a tan-ish interior. Any idea what the color is called?

Big options for the 3.5 were chrome wheels, the moonroof, Bose, heated seats, and that's about it. Curious that it has no OnStar; must've been an early-build. I'll get back to you on the sticker, but I want to say the color is Dark Cherry Metallic.

I can't recall ever seeing that color is it close to my cranberry red? Is it pretty in the sun or is it ugly? Not that I really care... What about memory seats will it have that? So how is it that the trunk leaks, er gets wet? Also will I have a problem with the moonroof/sunroof leaking if I get it? What is the difference between the sunroof or moonroof also. I also get confused.

I know I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. As for the sticker price? And what is resonable price when buying from a consumer that you know as your sons teacher? Also I taught with the owner of the Aurora's wife for a few years. I have seen prices ranging from 6K-10K for like the same car. I am hoping to spend no more than 7.5K on one is that resonable for a 2001 Aurora 3.5L with moonroof?

Edited by gm4life

• 2 months later...

Actually my sons PE teacher did get a Final 500 Aurora. And is still after 3 months trying to move his Aurora that we have talked above. He was asking 9,000 for it and put it in the paper. No suprise no bites and he will droping the price about 1,000 and maybe a little more to move it said. And wondered if we would want it. So I have to decide Aurora for my son or Torrent. Now his price his resonable enough I would consider it.