'99 Saturn SC2

Finally took the time to take some decent pictures...

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is my project car, a 1999 Saturn SC2. I purchased it back in Indiana for $1,000 with a bad automatic transmission that wouldn't shift into reverse. Fortunately, it was able to drive itself home, though by the time I turned into my neighborhood, it would no longer upshift. First gear got it into the garage, where I tinkered on it here & there for the winter.

I purchased a number of goodies for it, but the only thing currently done to it is a manual transmission swap with short shifter, and aftermarket wheels. The manual tranny swap probably ran about $500 once all was said & done. I dismantled the transmission, installed a differential with a welded pin (saturn tranny weak point), replaced a bearing that had some play in it, and reassembled. Installed the shifter, cables, clutch pedal & hydraulics, transmission itself with the occasional helping hand from my wife, who also loves to tinker. It is running on the automatic PCM, which has only a couple side effects - the SES light is constantly on, and there are no rev limiters.

I have no idea what the wheels are - a friend had them extra & sold them to me, with tires, for $50. They're not in perfect shape, but they look better than the stockers, and they fit my budget at the time.

Future plans are up in the air, but I have a few parts waiting to go in, including CAI, strut bar, rear disk swap, stainless brake lines, all aluminum radiator, and a few junkyard parts I have plans for.

Yup, it's just a Saturn. I'm not under the delusion that it's some glorious super car, but I have fun beating the crap out of it, and it just keeps going. For having under $2k in it, I don't think I've done too badly. Now I just need to get it to the track and see if it'll get into the 15's like it's supposed to.

Not a bad looking p[roject car. I just didn't start liking Saturn's, I've always liked them from day one in 1991. The wife and I looked into leasing a 2000 SC2 7 years ago, but couldn't find the right one (we ended up with a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT instead). I've always liked the look of the '97-'00 SC2... sporty-yet-practical!!!

I like it.

Even the wheels are nice...I like simple wheels, not those crazy looking wheels...

When I have to replace the wagon, I really would like a saturn...

I'm not sure whether I want a coupe or sedan...

My buddy has a 2002 sl1...and it drives nice, and it is great on gas...

If I could get a nice one for under 5, .... :scratchchin:

I like it.

Even the wheels are nice...I like simple wheels, not those crazy looking wheels...

When I have to replace the wagon, I really would like a saturn...

I'm not sure whether I want a coupe or sedan...

My buddy has a 2002 sl1...and it drives nice, and it is great on gas...

If I could get a nice one for under 5, .... :scratchchin:

There's also an S-Series wagon if you like wagons. You shouldn't have any problem getting a nice S-Series for under $5k - that's about what I paid for my '99 SC1 in near perfect condition about 3 years ago. Be sure to decide if you'd prefer the SOHC (+5 mpg) or the DOHC (+24% hp, still gets 25/35 epa mpg). If you live someplace hilly, I'd suggest the DOHC. Otherwise for someone who isn't concerned with going fast, the SOHC is a great A to B car.

There's also an S-Series wagon if you like wagons. You shouldn't have any problem getting a nice S-Series for under $5k - that's about what I paid for my '99 SC1 in near perfect condition about 3 years ago. Be sure to decide if you'd prefer the SOHC (+5 mpg) or the DOHC (+24% hp, still gets 25/35 epa mpg). If you live someplace hilly, I'd suggest the DOHC. Otherwise for someone who isn't concerned with going fast, the SOHC is a great A to B car.

The wagon is pretty cool..but I don't see them that often... :(

Though a wagon with a bike rack and some nice wheels... :scratchchin:

But as far as engines, if it does city/highway (no hills) either is fine with me.. :thumbsup: