Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BuddyP

2006 GM recalls vs Toyota recalls

5 posts in this topic

Somebody help me with an argument....

How many total vehicles were producted in 2006 from GM.... from Toyota?

How many total vehicles were recalled in 2006 from GM.... from Toyota?

Not sure, but all you need to know is this: Toyota recalled more vehicles than it sold in 2006.

Not sure, but all you need to know is this: Toyota recalled more vehicles than it sold in 2006.

That was my statement, and the reply was "how many did GM recall", so was hoping for hard numbers to figure percentages from.

Somebody's gotta have some hard numbers.

I'm not sure I like the "recalls" argument. The company recalling is trying to FIX a problem.

It's the NON recall stuff, like the Ford- popping spark plugs out of cylinder heads etc that bugs ME.

:scratchchin:

Gm has ALOT of recalls for the whole year, all models. But they made alot of vehicles too.

Somebody help me with an argument....

How many total vehicles were producted in 2006 from GM.... from Toyota?

How many total vehicles were recalled in 2006 from GM.... from Toyota?

The recall database is available for download from NHTSA.gov.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/downloads/list.html

At one point, the rumor was that the number of Toyota vehicles recalled in the U.S. exceeded the number of vehicles Toyota sold in 2006.

If one adds all the numbers of vehicles in the database, that number seems plausible.

However, the data actually overlaps and the number of Toyota vehicles actually recalled in 2006 is far few than what was reported by some media outlets.

At the time, I was trying to bolster the argument that domestics are in much respects far better than Toyotas.

If you visit any other similar car forums, you might even be able to dredge up that thread.

However, after doing the research, downloading the text file, popping it into Access and throwing all manner of SQL against it, I had to admit that the U.S. Toyota recalls were far less than the millions advertised elsewhere.

Of course, that doesn't make any difference for millions of sludged engines, FJ Cruisers that seem to be breaking in half, Tacoma trucks with disabled air bag sensors, the occasional Prius that stalls on the highway or won't go uphill in the snow. And of course, worldwide Toyota recalls are much higher than just U.S. totals. :duh:8)

Edited by plane

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0