Chrysler recalls 283,000 Ram pickups for trans

Guest Josh

WASHINGTON -- DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler unit, the third-biggest U.S. automaker, said it will recall 283,000 Dodge Ram pickup trucks that may roll away if the gear shift isn't fully placed in the "park" position. The automaker in December will notify owners of 2003-2005 models equipped with diesel engines and automatic transmissions, and will fix the vehicles by installing an alarm. Chrysler advised owners to always remove the key and insure that the vehicle is in "park". The recall was disclosed Oct. 7 in an e-mailed statement. That same day, Auburn Hills, Michigan-based Chrysler said it would recall 300,000 other vehicles, including 2005 Dodge Magnum wagons and 300 model sedans, to fix gearing in the automatic transmission. Automakers typically pay for recalls with reserves set aside for that purpose and don't charge consumers for the repairs.

The recall on the Ram just sounds like people being lazy and not putting the truck in park. But... the recall on the Magnum and 300 sounds interesting. I wonder exatly what gearing they are fixing, and why. Could it mean mechanical failure of gears, or just a swap to different ratios (but then why a recall)?

I thought a Mercedes-designed transmission would've cured Chrysler's tranny issues... guess not.

[post="29599"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

There was also a recall about a month ago, in which Merc transmissions used in the Liberty(?) or was it in the GC(?)... anyway, that trans. was having a problem with water contaminating the fluid.

I liked to think as that issue being that the Jeeps were "Trail Rated" while their Merc. desinged trannies were not.

There was also a recall about a month ago, in which Merc transmissions used in the Liberty(?) or was it in the GC(?)... anyway, that trans. was having a problem with water contaminating the fluid. 

I liked to think as that issue being that the Jeeps were "Trail Rated" while their Merc. desinged trannies were not.

[post="29601"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

V6-engined GCs, I think.

Gee, that's not surprising. Chrysler having transmissino troubles. I have a "slightly" brain damaged friend with a '97 Ram 3500 4wd and he's been through three transmissions....although he thinks that the Allison in the 3500-ish Chevys and GMCs won't hold up, so he continues to throw tranny after tranny into it.

Every singl;e one form the late 80s on should be recalled for crappy trans. IMHO.