Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wildcat

A Buick crossover plays to more than front row

8 posts in this topic

Los Angeles Times writer Dan Neil reviews the Buick Enclave in his article, "A Buick crossover plays to more than front row." he states, "There will be a lot of hearty back-and-forth about whether the Enclave meets or beats the standard for mass-class luxury, the Lexus and Acura. Not quite. But the deficits are small and fixable." To view the entire article, click here.

I love this line.

this is the first crossover to successfully unriddle the problem of rear-cabin access, so in a way, it's one-third more efficient than vehicles carting around faux-row seating.

So? People who buy crossovers don't care about the number of seats.

Oh that's right!

Why aren't there 0-60s and skidpad numbers in this review? Biased media?

Come on, Los Angeles admitting that a domestic brand vehicle outclasses the foreign? Especially Princess Lexus? Never.

Let's just set it a minimal step below the rest and say "Nice try, but once again, not the best."

Saying a Buick outclasses a Lexus or Acura is seriously a cardinal sin in LA. That would mean everyone in LA wasn't cool anymore OR that the writer was wrong... what would you do as the writer?

So deciding between his reputation and the sheer perfection of the Enclave Dan Neil split hairs to mark the Enclave just a hair below the rest. Perfect. Both reputation and social standings saved.

Saying a Buick outclasses a Lexus or Acura is seriously a cardinal sin in LA. That would mean everyone in LA wasn't cool anymore OR that the writer was wrong... what would you do as the writer?

Nah... it wouldn't be that bad, especially since it would make my family one of the coolest in LA! :D

Come on, Los Angeles admitting that a domestic brand vehicle outclasses the foreign? Especially Princess Lexus? Never.

Let's just set it a minimal step below the rest and say "Nice try, but once again, not the best."

So deciding between his reputation and the sheer perfection of the Enclave Dan Neil split hairs to mark the Enclave just a hair below the rest. Perfect. Both reputation and social standings saved.

Dan Neil is an equal-opportunity critiquer. He once described an Acura as a "Manga robot with beer goggles on", and wondered, "What does the TL say? I subscribe to Consumer Reports? I use a discount brokerage house?"

Buick is a fine "premium" brand, but arguably not a "luxury" one. The RX, MDX, X5, ML, and so on are all several thousand more than the Enclave, which itself is a lot better looking than a Highlander or Pilot.

Dan Neil is an equal-opportunity critiquer. He once described an Acura as a "Manga robot with beer goggles on", and wondered, "What does the TL say? I subscribe to Consumer Reports? I use a discount brokerage house?"

Buick is a fine "premium" brand, but arguably not a "luxury" one. The RX, MDX, X5, ML, and so on are all several thousand more than the Enclave, which itself is a lot better looking than a Highlander or Pilot.

Thats the point, compare the Enclave to those in its price range, and if it's better than them, then it's okay to compare it to those above its price range but only to explain that you can get these more expensive features/style/quality with a cheaper vehicle... you don't say the Enclave just can't "meet or beat" them if they're not even in the same price range. While Buick isn't Cadillac (and was never trying to be), Buick is just giving another great vehicle for a more affordable price.

However I'll believe you that he looks at them all equally, I don't know anything else he's done... but the caption is a sort of backhanded compliment.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0