Food For Thought...attitudes

How often DO we let the attitudes of others affect our mood? How many arguments/"flame wars" would be prevented if we stopped to THINK before we typed/posted or spoke?

---

"The Law of the Garbage Truck."

How often do you let other people's nonsense change your mood? Do you let a bad driver, rude waiter, curt boss, or an insensitive employee ruin your day?

The mark of a successful person is how quickly she can get back her focus on what's important. Sixteen years ago I learned this lesson in the back of a New York City taxi cab. Here's what happened....

I hopped in a taxi, and we took off for Grand Central Station. We were driving in the right lane when, all of a sudden, a black car jumped out of a parking space right in front of us. My taxi driver slammed on his breaks, skidded, and missed the other car's back end by just inches! The driver of the other car, the guy who almost caused a big accident, whipped his head around and he started yelling bad words at us.

My taxi driver just smiled and waved at the guy. And I mean, he was friendly. So, I said, "Why did you just do that? This guy almost ruined your car and sent us to the hospital!" And this is when my taxi driver told me what I now call, "The Law of the Garbage Truck."

Many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they need a place to dump it. And if you let them, they'll dump it on you. When someone wants to dump on you, don't take it personally. You just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on. You'll be happy you did.

I started thinking, how often do I let Garbage Trucks run right over me? And how often do I take their garbage and spread it to other people: at work, at home, on the streets?

Now, I see the load people are carrying. I see them coming to drop it off. And, like my Taxi Driver, I don't make it a personal thing; I just smile, wave, wish them well, and I move on.

What about you? What would happen in your life, starting today, if you let more garbage trucks pass you by?

Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So ... love the people who treat you right; forget about the ones who don't. Believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, TAKE IT! If it changes your life, LET IT!

Nobody said it would be easy...they just promised it would be worth it.

---

Someone asked me recently how many posts I have made over the years. By my calculations ... well over 35,000, spread over many different boards and groups, not including the boards that have been replaced with newer versions (where old post counts were erased). Sometimes, I find myself wondering why I even bother to post, but I continue, NOT because I lack a "real" life (believe it or not, I DO have a life outside of online boards), but because it is a great way to keep up with most friends and family. Yet, at times, the attitudes of others leave something to be desired.

Sometimes, no matter how hard I try not to, I find myself letting others' attitudes affect how I feel, partly because I'm increasingly "less tolerant" of things. I try not to, of course, but sometimes something someone has posted online ... or something someone has said in real-life and in-person conversations ... gets to me, admittedly, a bit too much. More and more, though, I realize that it doesn't matter what others say or think or do ... and, for the most part, I stay as positive as I can. The above-quoted "Garbage Truck Law" sure seems to be a good way to "keep tabs" on attitudes....

Ssssooo...do you agree? Disagree? Thoughts?

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Why are we so blind to see that the ones we hurt are you & me" ... Coolio ... 'Gangsta's Paradise'

It's a good way think.....

Indeed.

And, in some ways, sssoo hard to put into ACTION.

But, it really boils down to ... do you want to be happy or take on everyone else's garbage?

"I see the way out and I'm gonna take it" ... Carrie Underwood ... 'Wasted'

I will admit to sometimes giving in to this temptation. Sometimes the idiosy of some people just gets to you. Sometimes I will admit to hating that fact when people ask me dumb questions they damn well know the answer to. I can admit when I ask a dumb question.

I sometimes smile and blow a kiss to someone who's like that in traffic. I think it ticks them off more. :)

I suspect it would....

If I did that, I'd smile to the guys ... and blow the kisses to the ladies ... he he

"What are we going to call it then?" ... Michael Martin Murphy ... 'Will It Be Love By Morning?'