Help 9-3 Owners

rueben44

Ok as you all know I keep buying car after car well I really would like to own a modern Saab as the ones I have had were all older, 93 & 99. Well what I have been reading is that 9-3's have squeaking issues soon after new purchase. I mean like in the doors and head liner areas of the car after about 8K miles.

What I want to know from you all is that your experience also? Do you have lots of rattle issues with your Saab?

I appreciate the help.

Ok as you all know I keep buying car after car well I really would like to own a modern Saab as the ones I have had were all older, 93 & 99. Well what I have been reading is that 9-3's have squeaking issues soon after new purchase. I mean like in the doors and head liner areas of the car after about 8K miles.

What I want to know from you all is that your experience also? Do you have lots of rattle issues with your Saab?

I appreciate the help.

Working at a dealership I've had the privilege of drive several Saab's including a couple of 03,04,05 Saab 9-3's. With most of our Saab's being in the 20-30K range as far as miles go I have yet to have one on the lot that "squeaks". They have all appeared very solid and drive exceptionally well. I would recommend the 2.0T 5-speed in a heart beat. Also if your anywhere near the area of PA I am sure with you being a fellow C&G'er that I can try to get you the best possible deal. Or at the very least get you the auction prices so you know what they should be selling for roughly. If I can help in any way let me know. :thumbsup:

Working at a dealership I've had the privilege of drive several Saab's including a couple of 03,04,05 Saab 9-3's. With most of our Saab's being in the 20-30K range as far as miles go I have yet to have one on the lot that "squeaks". They have all appeared very solid and drive exceptionally well. I would recommend the 2.0T 5-speed in a heart beat. Also if your anywhere near the area of PA I am sure with you being a fellow C&G'er that I can try to get you the best possible deal. Or at the very least get you the auction prices so you know what they should be selling for roughly. If I can help in any way let me know. :thumbsup:

Wow thanks so much for the info. I am buying around January 1st of the year and will save your username and send you IM about one. I was just so worried about the issue at first. Also I wanted a 2.0t with a five speed at first them decided that I may want the v6 with the stick because I like the dual pipes. Anyway thanks again.

Wow thanks so much for the info. I am buying around January 1st of the year and will save your username and send you IM about one. I was just so worried about the issue at first. Also I wanted a 2.0t with a five speed at first them decided that I may want the v6 with the stick because I like the dual pipes. Anyway thanks again.

Not a problem..... here to help out anytime

Unless purchased under the CPO program, I cannot recommend any 9-3's.

We sell approximately 150 highline Used vehicles/month and the Saabs have persistent issues that require expertise and patience to resolve. Other than a lease or a real true bargain, I can't in good conscience suggest that anyone buy a 9-3...

Unless purchased under the CPO program, I cannot recommend any 9-3's.

We sell approximately 150 highline Used vehicles/month and the Saabs have persistent issues that require expertise and patience to resolve. Other than a lease or a real true bargain, I can't in good conscience suggest that anyone buy a 9-3...

What issues if I may inquire? Which models, years etc. ?

Edited by BatmanVW

• 3 weeks later...

Well I know they has some issues during the 03-04 years but I thought most of them had been fixed by now.

What issues are you referring to?

we have 2 saab9-3's, 2004 and 2005- to date there are no sqeaking issues. Other than a bad speaker and a piece of trim loose, between the two cars, no other issues.

enjoy,

b

What issues if I may inquire? Which models, years etc. ?

I can only comment on the 9-3's I've driven or seen on our lot, but regardles of year, they tend to have one of 3 issues that make them a no-no in my book.

1. Constant e-bugs that light-up the dash engine lights and boil down to expensive and time consuming fixes including emissions, engine control computers or simply faulty sensors.

2. The interior plastics are Fisher-Price---my '86 900 had a much nicer atmosphere and higher quality switchgear---checkout the flimsy gymnastic dash cupholder for one example

3. Squeaks, rattles and unknown noises eminate from all corners of the vehicles---a tight, safe unibody inhabited by subpar parts and built by depressed Swedish-aquivit addicts does not a good car make.

Not every one is bad, but most are not good.

My wife had a 2005 Saab 9-3 linear (w/ auto trans) that she leased for 2 years. In that time I can say it did have one minor squeak somewhere near the center speaker in the instrument panel and soft touch paint on the climate control knobs wore off. Lastly, one of the radio knobs (the little push-push ones) cracked. Other than that, it was a great car that got phenomenal gas mileage. It averaged 26 mpg in 50/50 driving over the 2 yrs she had it and averaged 34+ mpg on two trips from Michigan to Florida.

I have heard other people say Saab's have a variety of issues so I don't doubt they are real but my 2005 Saab 9-2x (aka Subaru WRX) has far, far more squeaks and rattles than the 9-3 ever did. I guess I would say if you buy used, make sure it still has some factory warranty left. They have a 4 yr, 50k mile bumper-to-bumper warranty and I believe starting in 2007 (or maybe it was 2006) all GM vehicles got bumped to a 5 yr, 100k mile powertrain warranty.

Edited by 2QuickZ's