MSN's Cool Cars to Arrive In

BB_454

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?c...opart=passenger

Posted Image

Has anyone else seen this article? I was a little confused by this;

Roll up to the red carpet in a Tesla Roadster and you're sure to turn heads. This next big thing for electric cars reportedly gets 100 miles per gallon.

Can anyone explain to me how an electric vehicle get 100 MPG? Or how do you arrive to an event in a vehicle that isn't in production? lol Another thing, when has it ever actually been cool to roll up in a Honda Accord or a Chrysler T&C? I mean, it may be a sensible ride and make a statement that your levelheaded or something, but certainly not cool imo. Or maybe I'm just an ass, and no comments about what I drive!

As far as "MPG" ratings for the Tesla, it's a different way of saying how much you would pay per mile, as it's easier to compare the it's economy to other cars using a unit people are already familiar with.

The title of the article seems inappropriate, as it's really about which cars are the safest bet for certain situations, not cool on an absolute scale. In this case the choices make sense, but in the end the article is still worthless.

As far as "MPG" ratings for the Tesla, it's a different way of saying how much you would pay per mile, as it's easier to compare the it's economy to other cars using a unit people are already familiar with.

This is a bit off topic, but I've wondered, what is going to happen to economy rating when cars like this and the Volt are on the road? Particularly, with all the noise about stricter mpg ratings from the government. Technically speaking, the Volt is capable of using no gas at all, or rather, having an infinite mpg rating, correct? So, couldn't you make the argument that with one Volt in your lineup, you'll meet any mpg standard? I know that's not going to happen and would be a loophole at best, but my point is that if the new laws are set with mpg standards, how will they enforce them in a world of electric vehicles and series hybrids?

This is a bit off topic, but I've wondered, what is going to happen to economy rating when cars like this and the Volt are on the road? Particularly, with all the noise about stricter mpg ratings from the government. Technically speaking, the Volt is capable of using no gas at all, or rather, having an infinite mpg rating, correct? So, couldn't you make the argument that with one Volt in your lineup, you'll meet any mpg standard? I know that's not going to happen and would be a loophole at best, but my point is that if the new laws are set with mpg standards, how will they enforce them in a world of electric vehicles and series hybrids?

Probably an MPG-equivalent in terms of CO2 emissions from electricity produced from coal.

From what I remember reading GM-Volt.com, a discussed test procedure is driving the Volt until the electricity runs out, then doing one cycle (6 miles) with the generator on. So if, say, the Volt gets 75 "MPG" over 40 miles of electricity and 50 MPG over 6 miles of gasoline, it averages 70.4 MPG.

Probably an MPG-equivalent in terms of CO2 emissions from electricity produced from coal.

From what I remember reading GM-Volt.com, a discussed test procedure is driving the Volt until the electricity runs out, then doing one cycle (6 miles) with the generator on. So if, say, the Volt gets 75 "MPG" over 40 miles of electricity and 50 MPG over 6 miles of gasoline, it averages 70.4 MPG.

Gotcha, that makes sense. Still, I get the feeling there will be much debate over this if the laws aren't written with provisions for vehicles like this or hydrogen.