AJAC Canadian Car and Truck of the Year

The Automotive Journalists Association of Canada has picked its winners for Canadian car and truck of the year.

The car of the year is the Audi R8.

The truck of the year is the Chevrolet Silverado.

Jim Kenzie live blog VIDEO from the opening press day at the Toronto Autoshow: http://www.wheels.ca/fpLarge/video/175539

Press release from GM:

General Motors' Chevrolet Silverado Named AJAC "2008 Truck of the Year"

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Feb. 13, 2008) - GM Canada was today honoured by the Automobile Journalists Association of Canada (AJAC), which named the Chevrolet Silverado as its 2008 Truck of the Year.

The recognition results from recent back-to-back driving evaluations of 59 new vehicles at the annual AJAC Test Fest evaluation - the foundation of the Canadian Car of the Year Awards (CCOTY) program. Over 70 of Canada's top automotive journalists judged this year's competition, which aims to provide consumers with sound, comparative information on new vehicles.

"We truly appreciate this vote of confidence from such a large body of Canada's automotive experts," said Marc Comeau, GM of Canada's vice president, sales service and marketing. "GM's goal is to provide customers with cars and trucks that offer leading designs and fuel-efficient technologies, with eye-catching style and an overall level of perceived quality typical of more expensive vehicles. This award tells us we're delivering on that goal."

The Chevrolet Silverado extends GM's decades-long legacy of sales leadership in full-size pickups, with a segment-best combination of fuel efficiency and capability that has seen sales continue to climb since its Canadian launch.

The Silverado's leading platform supports a smoother ride and confident handling. A lineup of powerful small-block V-8 engines complements the stronger chassis to deliver the light-duty segment's highest-rated towing capacity (4,763 kg / 10,500 pounds) and horsepower (367 hp / 274 kW), with a maximum payload capacity of 980 kg (2,160 pounds).

There are three cab styles - regular, extended and crew cab - and three cargo box lengths. The pickup is available in three trim levels: WT, LT and LTZ and is available in 2WD and 4WD.

Chevrolet will up the ante again in 2008 with a Silverado hybrid pickup that will deliver up to 25% improved combined fuel economy. On sale later this year, it will be the first hybrid produced in Canada and will be built at GM's Oshawa Truck Assembly Centre.

General Motors of Canada (GMCL) is engineering and manufacturing advanced environmental technologies ranging from Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) and hybrid systems to E85 biofuel and fuel cell vehicles - more than any other auto company right here in Canada. Headquartered in Oshawa Ontario, GMCL employs more than 19,000 people nationwide. GM of Canada manufactures vehicles, vehicle powertrains, and markets the full range of General Motors vehicles and related services through 743 dealerships and retailers across Canada. Vehicles sold through this network include Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac, GMC, Saturn, Hummer, Saab and Cadillac.

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=820659

R8? WTF?

Yeah. I thought the same thing.

So does Jim Kenzie (prominent Canadian auto writer and judge)....

Well, as my Grade 11 history teacher used to say when we collectively got the wrong answers to his pop quizzes, "Another failure of democracy.''

Likewise the results of the 2008 Automobile Journalists Association of Canada Car/Utility Vehicle of the Year awards.

The Audi R8 is Car of the Year - a fabulous car by any standard, but a $150,000 sports car of which they'll maybe a hundred in Canada? Car of the Year?

Can't blame Audi. They don't make the rules, and they aren't going to hand the trophy back.

The R8 was also chosen Best New Design and, a couple of months ago, "Most Coveted'' by the journos at AJAC's Test Fest last fall.

The other finalists were the Saturn Astra and Audi S5.

Actually, the real Car of the Year didn't even make the final three. At least the Chevrolet Malibu won the North American award.

General Motors did win the Utility Vehicle award, although it was the wrong General Motors vehicle. The Buick Enclave should have been a slam-dunk, but the collective minds of AJAC gave it to the Silverado pick-up. A worthy winner, but nowhere near the breakthrough represented by the Enclave.

Nissan Rogue, another fine vehicle, was the other Utility finalist.

Ford's SYNC system, enabling connectivity of multiple media devices into a car and making it even easier for drivers to be distracted, won Best New Technology. Is there no hope?

Wait 'til next year. We'll probably get it wrong again.

Yeah, Jim Kenzie is a rare voice of sanity on the AJAC. I used to enjoy his articles in the Star, back when I cared what that paper had to say. I especially enjoyed his mea culpa when Lutz challenged him to a duel with the (then new) Grand Prix, versus the Maxima. Kenzie also rants against our ridiculously low speed laws and how the cops would rather ticket speeders than left lane hogs and other culprits that slow traffic down.

Yeah, Jim Kenzie is a rare voice of sanity on the AJAC. I used to enjoy his articles in the Star, back when I cared what that paper had to say. I especially enjoyed his mea culpa when Lutz challenged him to a duel with the (then new) Grand Prix, versus the Maxima. Kenzie also rants against our ridiculously low speed laws and how the cops would rather ticket speeders than left lane hogs and other culprits that slow traffic down.

love kenzie

but for the record, kenzie never admitted guilt. he stands by his original story. however, to his credit did take lutz up on his offer and took a maxima to detroit for a showdown with the grand prix.

love kenzie

but for the record, kenzie never admitted guilt. he stands by his original story. however, to his credit did take lutz up on his offer and took a maxima to detroit for a showdown with the grand prix.

Actually, he did. The Toyota Star permitted a 1 1/2 page treatise on how the Grand Prix (which the Star had earlier slagged) mopped the floor with the Maxima. One and a half pages. Then, Laurence Yap, who Loves All Things Asian :rolleyes: , actually did print a retraction, admitting that 'sometimes' 'we auto journalist types' have 'preconceptions' when they drive certain vehicles. GEE. TELL ME SOMETHING I DIDN'T KNOW, TOYOTA STAR.

But, Jim Kenzie is usually fair and always amusing.

Actually, he did. The Toyota Star permitted a 1 1/2 page treatise on how the Grand Prix (which the Star had earlier slagged) mopped the floor with the Maxima. One and a half pages. Then, Laurence Yap, who Loves All Things Asian :rolleyes: , actually did print a retraction, admitting that 'sometimes' 'we auto journalist types' have 'preconceptions' when they drive certain vehicles. GEE. TELL ME SOMETHING I DIDN'T KNOW, TOYOTA STAR.

But, Jim Kenzie is usually fair and always amusing.

how does yap blathering about making mistakes reflect on kenzie and malloy's oriiginal article?

the grand prix did well, but both kenzie and malloy stand by their original assertion that the gp behaved 'oddly' at one point during the original test drive. they never said it didn't happen, and they never retracted their original evaluation.(i can;t remember the original problem, but it was some odd/weird behaviour under braking - twitcy behaviour or something)

the second run vs the maxima was a flattering review of the gp, ending with kenzie further assertion that as great as a performer as the gp was, it was unlikely to draw any maxima or accord propstecs into the fold. and i think history has proved him correct on that front too.