GM training dealers in effort to help boost sales

Guest Josh

DETROIT -- As General Motors moves to value pricing, it is training its dealers to boost sales of add-on accessories.

Retail sales of accessories are an estimated $30 billion a year business in the United States. The business grew by two-thirds between 1998 and 2004. GM dealers sold about $1 billion in accessories last year, says Nancy Philippart, executive director of General Motors Accessories.

"Customers have more flexibility and choice at the point of sale," Philippart says. "They get what they want, and that increases our odds of making the (vehicle) sale."

With value pricing, GM wants to curb incentives and move transaction prices closer to sticker prices. At the same time, the automaker wants its dealers to sell more accessories, such as customized wheels and electronic products.

A pilot training program assigns consultants to help GM dealers and dealership managers develop techniques for selling accessories. About 40 dealerships have participated in the program, which began last year. Those stores have increased sales of accessories by an average 134 percent, Philippart says.

Read Entire Story From AutoWeek Here

well 134 percent is a lot, but how much have all the other dealerships increased?

marketing has something to do with it, and not necesarily more product knowledge

[post="2868"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That, and making sure that the public knows about it.( for example, Scion)

I like the fact that the Cobalt has a decent start with stuff..

The rims they offer would look nice on a base Balt'...and at first I didn't even
know about them until I saw them online...

Yow would think that the dealership would buy some stuff and out them on the cars..

That, and making sure that the public knows about it.( for example, Scion)

I like the fact that the Cobalt has a decent start with stuff..

The rims they offer would look nice on a base Balt'...and at first I didn't even
know about them until I saw them online...

Yow would think that the dealership would buy some stuff and out them on the cars..

[post="2919"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's like the 20's for the GMT800 line...

Sure the dealers are bolting them on, but I've only seen like 3 or 4 of the 10 or 20 (can't remember which) styles offered.