Edmunds Names Solstice Most Significant Vehicle

Guest Josh

GTO. Firebird. Fiero. The history of Pontiac is peppered with nameplates that helped establish the brand as a legitimate performance division within GM. Whether they were ramming air, making a chicken scream, or putting the engine behind the driver, the folks at Pontiac always had something interesting to draw enthusiasts into the showroom.

That all ended in 2002 when the Firebird flamed out. Not only was the division's pony car dead, but there wasn't a rear-wheel-drive model to be found in the entire lineup. So much for "building excitement." The "new" GTO (from Australia?) tried to revive the brand's image in 2004, but it's the all-new 2006 Solstice that has returned a sense of thrill to Pontiac showrooms — and created customer orders that far exceed initial supply.

Beyond it's arresting appearance and rear-drive chassis (GM calls it the "Kappa" platform), the Solstice features a four-wheel independent suspension, standard 18-inch wheels and a 2.4-liter, four-cylinder engine mated to a five-speed manual transmission. The price is right at just under $20,000, but if you want power windows, cruise control, or even air conditioning, you'll have to pay extra.

Of course, you can't say "Solstice" without someone saying, or at least thinking "Miata." That car is all-new for 2006 as well. But with a 16-year history of making a sporty two-seater, Mazda's redesigned Miata isn't as significant. But GM going from concept to reality in 27 months on a two-seat roadster? A roadster that looks as good as the concept while offering an entertaining ride and attractive interior for less than $20,000? Beyond redefining the low-priced roadster market, the Solstice also revives the company's image. For 2006, there really is some excitement at your local Pontiac dealer. Now that's significant.

The Solstice beat out the new BMW 3 Series, the Honda Fridgeline and the Mercedes Benz CLS-Class.

The entire piece can be found here: http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/mostwanted/...05.content..1.*

I'm suprised the 3-series or Ridgeline were even considered as "most significant". The 3-series hasn't changed much about the concept of it's brand nor has it added anything new to the BMW lineup. It's about as significant as the Saturn VUE update. The Ridgeline, while new, is about as significant as the Subaru Baja. The only reason it gets so much attention is because it has an H on the grill. I take it back... I'm not suprised. Honda and BMW are the two brands Edmunds masterbates the most over. Edited by Oldsmoboi

I take it back... I'm not suprised. Honda and BMW are the two brands Edmunds masterbates the most over.

[post="37695"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What he said.

Seriously, of those four, only the Solstice really qualifies for 'significance' - 3er is an evolution, CLS is a permutation, and Fridgeline is an abomination.
[/Jesse Jackson]

Yeah i agree. All the ridgeline did is confirm "ugly car-based trucks dont' sell well" and the CLS, don't get me wrong is beeeeautiful, all it is a e-class with fancy body and a good marketing plan: Mercedes: "not A 4 door, 4 door COUPE" General Public: "OOOOOO...aaahhhh!" Car Magazines: "OMG BEST VEHICLE EVER!"

I agree the Solstic may be the most significant vehicle for GM, but not for the auto industry as a whole. It is not creating a new segment...but rather than putting an entry into an existing segment...but one GM has never really tried before. If it's a hit, it's a huge plus for GM, but not significant to 'change the face' of the auto industry in the same way the originial Miata did.

How did the original Miata change the face of the industry? 2 seat roadsters had been around for years.

[post="37782"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

1) It was a roadster reborn, a modern 2-seater.
2) It had tight dimensions unlike SL, Corvette, and Allante, and was a tight handler, unlike Reatta.
3) It was relatively affordable.
4) It was not British (read: reliable), so people who weren't weekend mechanics could reasonably own one.

I wouldn't say it changed the face of the industry, but it carved out its own niche. So did the RX300, but the Miata is iconic. Solstice is the second true regular production American roadster ('53-'55 Corvette being the first) and has the potential to be a real speedster with dynamics a little looser than Miata but power up in SLK/Bimmer range for a fraction of the price.

1) It was a roadster reborn, a modern 2-seater.
2) It had tight dimensions unlike SL, Corvette, and Allante, and was a tight handler, unlike Reatta.
3) It was relatively affordable.
4) It was not British (read: reliable), so people who weren't weekend mechanics could reasonably own one.

I wouldn't say it changed the face of the industry, but it carved out its own niche. So did the RX300, but the Miata is iconic. Solstice is the second true regular production American roadster ('53-'55 Corvette being the first) and has the potential to be a real speedster with dynamics a little looser than Miata but power up in SLK/Bimmer range for a fraction of the price.

[post="37798"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Keep it simple, Mazda bought few Lotus Elans, crossed them with an econo car and sold them.

By no means is a Miata as good as the Elan. never will be. It just runs.

I'm suprised the 3-series or Ridgeline were even considered as "most significant".

The 3-series hasn't changed much about the concept of it's brand nor has it added anything new to the BMW lineup. It's about as significant as the Saturn VUE update.

The Ridgeline, while new, is about as significant as the Subaru Baja. The only reason it gets so much attention is because it has an H on the grill.
I take it back... I'm not suprised. Honda and BMW are the two brands Edmunds masterbates the most over.

[post="37695"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Oh come ON.......

3-Series IS the BMW brand. To say it's their bread-and-butter is WAY understatement......

This new 3-Series was SO critical to BMW, they HAD to produce a winner. Also, don't forget that BMW with the 2002 and early 3-Series invented the "sport sedan" segment. It's been the benchmark for as long as it's been around.

That's MAJOR significance to the marketplace and your comment comparing it to the VUE update was quite ludicrous.....

As far as the Ridgeline, it's the first true unibody pickup truck ever. Baja doesn't count....it's a castrated 4-door Legacy sedan with no pickup or SUV overtones (other than the "bed" if that's what you want to call it.)

AND whether you like it or not, Honda does present some new innovations with the Ridgeline such as the trunk-in-bed.

Ridgeline has MAJOR significance in the marketplace.....(even if we disagree with the styling, etc.) Edited by The O.C.