Gutted and Field-dressed

Has that car run the real La Carrera Panamericana?

Yes.

Healeys just like it ran in the original race when they were new, and this car ran as part of a Healey team when they ran the race again about 10 years ago or so. It was set up as a rally car when the boss bought it. I remember it coming in on the huge collector car transporter.

Cutesy lil homemade-looking frame there... pretty narrow. Must flex most entertainingly.... tho I suppose there's not much relative weight involved to push it.

Actually the frame is very stiff. So stiff in fact, that if the bottom of the rail has been dented during the last 50+ track years, the jackstands have to be adjusted to accomodate or that corner will just hang in midair. The central section is X'ed, and the whole thing is built like a unibody hybrid, tied together and supported everywhere. These are pretty tough little buggers.

Okee-dokee. Guess I'm more used to my B-59's frame.

That one, too, is extremely stiff, even if it's now missing it's 'K' member. Jack up one corner and the whole thing pivots up, and this as a hardtop with currently-latchless doors.

Yup.

Same result, different approach.

The Healeys are light (including the frame), but they are triangulated and reinforced six ways from sunday.

I was actually shocked at how stiff they are when I first messed with them years ago.

King pins & lever shocks ?? I'm thinking I'd have to be in a '40s Buick for that... and a pre-'38 for leaf springs....

The British are a bit slow on the uptake. We are running MGB lever shocks on this car that MG used right up to the end of MGB poduction in, what, 1980 or so?

Edit: this Healey is a '56

'80-81 is right- I have a print ad that's emblazened "This is the Last MG Ad You Will Ever See."

EDIT- is that about the tail end of Healey production? - I really don't know much about them... and they all seem to be from the '50s.

I see the dent in the frame rail- you could never dent the Buick's frame that way while keeping at least 2 tires on the road...

must be right about 3/32" thick steel- fully boxed... but it also has rounded corners & bends for even more strength.

I know- I shouldn't be comparing an American frame to an automotive 3rd-world unit like this.... :)

Edited by balthazar

'80-81 is right- I have a print ad that's emblazened "This is the Last MG Ad You Will Ever See."

And the only major difference between the MGB shock and the original is the bend of the arms which allows "some" camber adjustment. Without this modification, or a sliding mount plate for the shocks( another mod), there is no camber adjustment.

EDIT- is that about the tail end of Healey production? - I really don't know much about them... and they all seem to be from the '50s.

No.

These are 100-4s, they were followed by the 100-6, the 3000, and the Sprite (Bugeye) into the sixties.

I'll find out when production stopped tomorrow.

I see the dent in the frame rail- you could never dent the Buick's frame that way while keeping at least 2 tires on the road...

must be right about 3/32" thick steel- fully boxed... but it also has rounded corners & bends for even more strength.

I know- I shouldn't be comparing an American frame to an automotive 3rd-world unit like this.... :)

This car's frame has had a rough life, its been bent and patched and battered on racetracks and rally courses for years. And, yes, these frames don't even resemble anything American. Not even close.

I know it's an important safety feature in a RACE car

but those tall roll bars look so goofy in a tiny little

1960s British roadster. :blink:

Has that car run the real La Carrera Panamericana?

First thing I thought of too. :P

I know it's an important safety feature in a RACE car

but those tall roll bars look so goofy in a tiny little

1960s British roadster. :blink:

First thing I thought of too. :P

This car is the only one of the three Healeys that has a rollbar like that. It was a result of it being setup for Rally racing by the previous owner.