Camaro SS Manual Trans Questions...

gm4life

Anyone driven a GM car with the shift skip? So how does it work? And how it will effect driving a new Camaro SS with a six speed? Also can it be removed? Please help me I have been wondering along time (and since my son or I will be getting one I was wondering), also do they include so the Camaro dodged the gas guzzler tax? What is this launch control and why is it slower in the M/T review than the without launch control? Also I have driven a few manual trans vehicles lately but what is the best way to launch one for max acceleration and for a smokey burnout? (On a vehicle like the Camaro SS, I understand to push the clutch in and release slowly while applying more and more gas for normal driving and take-offs, but it has been so long for me, since owning one and "ringing it out" I was just wondering on all this stuff.) Your help would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Edited by gm4life

I drive a car with skip shift. It works by forcing you to make a 1-4 shift at low speeds. I purchased a skip-shift override, and it works by tricking the car into thinking the solenoid (which locks out 2nd) is engaged. The skip-shift light still turns on, but I can shift 1-2.

This applies for fbodys, but the concept should be the same.

These conditions must be met (the numbers might not be exact, but they are close enough):

• In first gear
  • 35% or less throttle
  • Between 15 & 21 mph
  • Coolant temp above 170* F

When those conditions are met a solenoid energizes, not allowing the shifter to be put in 2nd or 3rd.

There are a few ways it can be eliminated:

• Unplug the wiring harness from the solenoid. This will throw a DTC
  • Insert a 2.2K ohm resistor in the wiring harness
  • Pay $30 for a fancy harness plug with a resistor in it
  • Disable it with PCM tuning software
  • h
  • h

This applies for fbodys, but the concept should be the same.

These conditions must be met (the numbers might not be exact, but they are close enough):

• In first gear
  • 35% or less throttle
  • Between 15 & 21 mph
  • Coolant temp above 170* F

When those conditions are met a solenoid energizes, not allowing the shifter to be put in 2nd or 3rd.

There are a few ways it can be eliminated:

• Unplug the wiring harness from the solenoid. This will throw a DTC
  • Insert a 2.2K ohm resistor in the wiring harness
  • Pay $30 for a fancy harness plug with a resistor in it
  • Disable it with PCM tuning software
  • h
  • h

It must be different from the GTO. It has never stopped me from putting it into 3rd.