Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Champion Spark Plugs

The future dims for spark plug businessProduction will end in 2006 By Randy Conat FLINT - (11/09/05)-- Last week, union leaders at Delphi Flint East were told that spark plug production at the plant would come to an end during the next few months. Spark plugs have been made in Flint for 101 years. Randy Conat takes a look back at the industry that had employed thousands of people through the years. Albert Champion, a native of France, manufactured and sold spark plugs as a sideline business. GM founder Billy Durant invited him to Flint, just as the auto industry was revving up. "1904 would have been the first year that they produced for the Buick Company," said David White, an archivist with the Kettering University Archives. Champion Ignition was initially located at the Buick complex in Flint, then moved across Industrial Avenue to its own building. "Champion Ignition became one of the first companies brought under the General Motors umbrella in 1908," White said. A year later, the name of the company was changed to AC Spark Plug. By 1912, the company was producing 600,000 spark plugs a year. During World War I and World War II, AC made spark plugs for airplanes. Hundreds of women worked at the two plants in Flint before it was common for women to work outside the home in any capacity. "Peak production was probably in the 50s or before. There was less competition," White noted. The demise of spark plug production in Flint hurts Don Bronson, who worked for AC for more than 30 years. "Makes me unhappy, just like many other eras that come to an end. But there's not a thing I can do about it." "It's a loss for the whole community. Very unfortunate for all of us," added White. Union leaders have been told most spark plug production will end by late December. The last spark will probably be made in July 2006. The plant on Dort Highway has been the home of AC spark plug production for more than 80 years now. But in just a few months production will finish, ending an era in Flint's history. About 400 people are employed in spark plug production at Delphi Flint East.

God I've had a bad F***ing day. Marcia's being a b!tch again and on top of it I hate hearing bad news like this. Here's an idea. Why don;t we ship every freekin job overseas?!?! Maybe we can oursource the CIA, FBI and even the immigration service can be headquartered in Mexico. The only one wiht a job will be W. :angry:

On a more positive note the Luscerne in your sig looks delicious in an Infiniti kind of way.... that little FWD POS is growing on me. :P