Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
loki

driver's window

4 posts in this topic

99 monte carlo, the switch is good, it gets power, but the motor won't budge. looking for info on how to tackle it.... things to check, maybe a how to best take it apart if need be.

thanks,

could it move "past it limits"? how would i check that, or how could i bring it back inside it's limits?

99 monte carlo, the switch is good, it gets power, but the motor won't budge. looking for info on how to tackle it.... things to check, maybe a how to best take it apart if need be.

thanks,

could it move "past it limits"? how would i check that, or how could i bring it back inside it's limits?

The window could move past its limits, but only if the little plastic stops are broken or missing. If that was the case, the window would have gone up crooked or out of track... but since the Monte has the metal around the glass, coming out of track is unlikely.

Chances are the motor is dead. Has it been running slow or making any noise? Granted, they do sometimes die without warning. If you have the door apart, get a battery and put 12V to the motor to see if it moves.

I'm not familiar with the Monte's motor and regulator, but I see they sell just the motors, but be careful because typical regulators are spring loaded.

The window could move past its limits, but only if the little plastic stops are broken or missing. If that was the case, the window would have gone up crooked or out of track... but since the Monte has the metal around the glass, coming out of track is unlikely.

Chances are the motor is dead. Has it been running slow or making any noise? Granted, they do sometimes die without warning. If you have the door apart, get a battery and put 12V to the motor to see if it moves.

I'm not familiar with the Monte's motor and regulator, but I see they sell just the motors, but be careful because typical regulators are spring loaded.

I had been having to push and pull the window up and down for awhile. one time it went on the out side of the guide just behind the mirror.

I think you are right, that i need to replace the motor, doing that looks like no fun. heh

If you replace the motor, make sure you check all the stops and wheels. Replacing these plastic parts are easiest with the motor and/or regulator disconnected. Chasing these parts can be a PITA, though.

Here's a tip... get yourself one of those rubber door wedges or two. When you have the door apart or the motor disconnected, put the rubber stop(s) between the glass and door sill... it'll hold the window up if you need the extra hand or if you have to drive the car while parts chasing.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0