Photoshop Question.

I've read that with the free trail versions of Photoshop, you can't save, print, or export. Has anyone downloaded it to either verify or dismiss that?

I'm getting fairly sick of my existing photo editing software and have been looking into Photoshop. I don't want to go through the trouble of downloading such a large program if I'm only going to be able to play with it and it's certainly too expensive to buy outright. As well, I would want to look into alternate programs. Either way, what I have is going to be replaced. Help is appreciated.

PC Magazine's Free Graphics Editors Ratings

Graphics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

90. Artweaver

www.artweaver.de

Windows

If you want the freedom to paint, without the mess and without paying $359 for Corel Painter X, Artweaver is a good starter tool for artists.

91. DestroyFlickr

www.destroytoday.com/?p=Project&id=DestroyFlickr

Windows

This Adobe Air app puts Flickr on your desktop, but with a completely different interface. Why "destroy"? In the words of app creator Jonnie Hallman, "To destroy today is to make the most of the day—destruction as a form of creation."

92. flauntR

www.flauntr.com

Web

This online photo editor integrates with just about any picture service you can imagine, including Facebook and Flickr, and offers a suite of tools to manipulate images in ways specific to social networks and mobile handsets.

93. FastStone Image Viewer

www.faststone.org

Windows

Another image browser and converter that handles almost any file type, FastStone also has companion programs like the handy Photo Resizer, complete with a fast batch processor.

94. GIMP [HALL OF FAME]

www.gimp.org

GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) has provided Photoshop-like tools at no charge for over a decade.

Read our review of Gimp 2.4.7 .

95. Google SketchUp

sketchup.google.com

Windows | Mac OS

If you're new to 3D but want to build worlds anyway, a free tool like SketchUp is a great place to start; the latest version includes "self-aware" 3D models so the app knows, for example, to resize a virtual staircase by adding more stairs and extend a virtual fence by adding more slats.

Read our review of Google SketchUp.

96. IrfanView

www.irfanview.com

Windows

Perhaps the ultimate image viewer (with some editing tools thrown in), the latest IrfanView (version 4.20) received a nice cosmetic update. It also supports instant video and audio playback.

Read our review of IrfanView 3.85, a PCMag.com Editors' Choice.

97. Paint.NET

www.getpaint.net

Windows

This student project–turned–freeware masterpiece puts the power of higher-end graphics editors in anyone's hands.

98. Pencil

www.les-stooges.org/pascal/pencil

Windows | Mac OS | Linux

For the budding Chuck Jones at home, Pencil is a free way to get started in the world of traditional 2D animation–that is, draw each frame anew.

99. Picasa

picasa.google.com

Windows | Linux

Few free programs come close to handling photos with the skill of Picasa. Organize them, do quick edits (including red-eye reduction), and share pics online or e-mail them to friends.

Read our review of Picasa 3, a PCMag.com Editors' Choice.

100. MobaPhoto

mobaphoto-en.mobatek.net

Windows

Portability is the key here. This lightweight photo editor (only 1.6MB) puts photographs into great-looking photo galleries, and naturally has all the usual tools to fix red-eye, crop, and resize. It'll even batch-process images.

101. Photoshop Express

www.photoshop.com/express

Web

It's not the full power of Photoshop on the Web, but it does offer rudimentary editing, basic photo sharing, and 2GB of storage for your photos. Partnerships with sites like Picasa and Facebook make Photoshop Express fun as well as useful.

Read our review of Photoshop Express .

102. Photosynth

www.photosynth.com

Web

Photosynth does so many unique things with photos that we gave it a Technical Excellence award. It takes multiple photos, finds where they overlap, and creates an almost 3D image; it can even make a 3D replica of an object from shots at multiple angles.

103. Picnik

www.picnik.com

Web

Picnik is the gold standard in online image editing these days: It fixes photos without confusing users and works with a number of photo-sharing sites, and best of all, you don't have to register to get started using it—unless you want to save images online.

Read our review of Picnik.

104. Pictomio

www.pictomio.com

Windows

Handling all your photos with a simple but powerful interface, Pictomio browses in many styles—including a carousel mode similar to iTunes' Coverflow, which benefits from a good 3D video card—organizes shots, and creates instant slideshows. It will even handle audio and video.

105. Splashup

www.splashup.com

Web

You don't even need to sign up to get instant access to this Flash-based image editor with all the features (and more) that you'd find in a downloadable app.

106. SUMO Paint

www.sumo.fi/web

Web

Not every Web-based image editor can claim to be high-end, but SUMO can by carefully mimicking the look and feel of Photoshop, maybe a little too well. Try it before this free Flash app gets sued out of existence by Adobe.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually have a portable version of photoshop CS4 if you'd like it (or rather, be told where to download it...)

The great thing about portable versions is they are small...very small. I believe this one is 75 megs in a zip file. They are the full unadulterated version though. They don't install or anything, you just click on them and they unpack themselves and boot right up. Very convenient to use. I have it on a flash drive, so I can have photoshop pretty much anywhere at any time.