Buy a GM, or Pay GM...

Would scare tactics work for GM in marketing...? If GM had a commerical that really depicted the premium reasons to purchase an american vehicle. If they, in a comercial, analized the affects of a detriotless america... could they score peoples purchasing? Could they really hit people by saying, "In efforts to compete, with the competition, we had to lay off 30,000 americans." "Toyota says they want to help General Motors by raising their profits and making themselves less competive." "if the next vehicle you purchase isnt a General Motors vehicle, your tax dollars will goto the person that built it anyway. Because you purchased a Camry, your taxes on that vehicle went to the Impala across the street." "What is good for General Motors, is good for the USA, what is good for General Motors is good for you. Buy today" Perhaps it should endorse the fact that Toyota only employees about 10% of the people GM does in North America. Perhaps they should also bring up the fact there is 2 retires for every working GM employee, so for buying a GM product you pay for 3 people... We all know that for the most part GM vehicles are very competative in todays market. they have the best trucks and most of their cars are award winning, just have little recognition. So GM needs to get people to think right... If your neighbor is a barber, do you goto the local barber shop or do you goto your neighbors shop? support your friends, support your family support your country... My neighbor is a veteranarian i go to him every time my dog is sick... My other neighbor is a lawyer, one of the best in california, so you better believe if i get into trouble i'll hash out the money... besides hes my friend... When that barber goes home one day and says he has to close down his shop because the fantastic sams accross the street is more affordable, and he looks at your brand new hair cut (from fantastic sams) wouldnt you feel guilty? Okay, what if GM could point out, in a comercial, that our vehicles are just as good, if not better, but there are additional reasons why you should purchase from us... Why Toyota doesnt need your sale, and 30,000 americans just lost their jobs due to toyota, when Toyota only employees 37,000 in North America... Do you think a marketing campaign as such, sponsored by both Ford and GM would be worthwhile? Sure they have always preached to buy american, but does anyone really know what it means to buy american?

Things like this work in theory and have all the best intent but you must tread lightly... the focus has to remain that an American car is good enough to buy for all the right reasons... Quality, Value, Durability, Safety, Longevity & of course: Performance.

Sadly, I think this type of thing never works. Many (if not most) people would sell their grandmother if it meant saving a few bucks. Look at Wal-Mart. Many towns have launched anti-Wal-Mart campaigns, preaching that buying from your local downtown merchants means more jobs and more money kept in the local community, yet when all is said and done, Wal-Mart opens and the place is packed. The savings - or at least the ILLUSION of savings, is enough to drive people into those stores. Autos are no different. As long as the public is convinced that buying a Toyota is a good thing because it is a BETTER car and is built in America anyway - well, what could the harm be in that?

I doubt it, the Japanese have been dosing our water....

I hate the fact our country is being sold out to the foreigners. Like I read somewhere else, it used to be that darn near everything we bought was made here and the companies were based here. I still buy GM because they are at least based here in the U.S. Ford too. But for how much longer? Most electronics now arent made here nor are the companies based here. Zenith is an example.

No, you've got it all wrong.  They're paying off the media who in turn sends out mind-controlling fleas to bite people and make then anti-American.

[post="49334"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Its funny, because the Japanese in WWII actually experimented with biologically attacking the continental United States with plague-carrying fleas dropped from modified bombs and balloons.

I doubt it, the Japanese have been dosing our water....

[post="48962"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I KNEW there had to be a freekin explanation/excuse for my Datsun purchase. :P

All joking aside the Japanese are still at war with us, it's not a war fought on a battlefield, this one is fought in the corporate & economic realm.

Would scare tactics work for GM in marketing...?

If GM had a commerical that really depicted the premium reasons to purchase an american vehicle.  If they, in a comercial, analized the affects of a detriotless america... could they score peoples purchasing?  Could they really hit people by saying, "In efforts to compete, with the competition, we had to lay off 30,000 americans."  "Toyota says they want to help General Motors by raising their profits and making themselves less competive."  "if the next vehicle you purchase isnt a General Motors vehicle, your tax dollars will goto the person that built it anyway.  Because you purchased a Camry, your taxes on that vehicle went to the Impala across the street."

"What is good for General Motors, is good for the USA, what is good for General Motors is good for you.  Buy today"

Perhaps it should endorse the fact that Toyota only employees about 10% of the people GM does in North America.  Perhaps they should also bring up the fact there is 2 retires for every working GM employee, so for buying a GM product you pay for 3 people...

We all know that for the most part GM vehicles are very competative in todays market.  they have the best trucks and most of their cars are award winning, just have little recognition.  So GM needs to get people to think right...

If your neighbor is a barber, do you goto the local barber shop or do you goto your neighbors shop?  support your friends, support your family support your country...  My neighbor is a veteranarian i go to him every time my dog is sick...

My other neighbor is a lawyer, one of the best in california, so you better believe if i get into trouble i'll hash out the money... besides hes my friend...

When that barber goes home one day and says he has to close down his shop because the fantastic sams accross the street is more affordable, and he looks at your brand new hair cut (from fantastic sams) wouldnt you feel guilty?

Okay, what if GM could point out, in a comercial, that our vehicles are just as good, if not better, but there are additional reasons why you should purchase from us...

Why Toyota doesnt need your sale, and 30,000 americans just lost their jobs due to toyota, when Toyota only employees 37,000 in North America...

Do you think a marketing campaign as such, sponsored by both Ford and GM would be worthwhile?

Sure they have always preached to buy american, but does anyone really know what it means to buy american?

[post="48858"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

ABSOLUTELY!!!! And it is sorely needed. But it would have to be executed correctly.

People need to know the FACTS (Because the media sure as hell won't tell them-they fabricate their own facts) So, in that sense it would work.. Even against the media backlash it would create.

But to go on air and beg people for sales or sound like you're whining... Well, that'd just be bad..