Scanner Question

Z-06

What is a good affordable scanner with an Auto Document Feeder that can scan about 50 pages a go, and has a decent image quality and an excellent software? Films and other stuff scanning capability will be a plus, but more than anything I want to scan my magazines and get rid of the paper crap.

I found this one:

HP Flatbed ADF Scanner

What do you guys think?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...0Scanjet%205590

Rating: 2/5 with 25 reviews.

Pros: Low Price.

Cons: Clumsy three button interface and tiny LCD screen make it seem like something from the 90s. The software is bloated and seems like it was written as a Visual Basic senior class project.

Had trouble even getting the driver loaded properly. Once I got the driver loaded by looking online for solutions for hours, I was presented with a very unpolished scan/email application.

It also turns itself off after about 5 minutes of idle time, so between scans you have to hit the power button and wait for it to power back up.

Other Thoughts: HP - I expect more from you when it comes to scanners. Perhaps you should get out of the lower end price point, and stick to the higher quality high end market.

Shame on you HP for putting your good name on this sub-standard reject.

Pros: This scanner has few pros...... The scans are good quality, but this scanner is a pain to use. I have been using one owned by my employer from a home office setting for the past three years. I am changing employers, and will recommend this piece of equipment just go to salvage. It is not worth the postage to send it back to my company's headquarters. I am already shopping for its replacement.

Cons: The automatic document feeder (ADF) o this scanner is total junk. The particular scanner I have was used in an office setting for two-years before I took it to my home office, and the original ADF was replaced under warranty. But, the design is so flawed that the replacement ADF quickly malfunctioned again. When the scanner does function correctly in the automatic mode, every page will be scanned with about an 8-degree tilt to the left. You cannot feed documents with creases or folds, as the ADF jams too easily. Once jammed, the jammed pages are difficult to remove. If you are not careful, the ADF will pull multiple pages through at a time, causing you to have to interrupt scans and conduct re-runs. The cover to the scanner is top-heavy due to the duplex-feeder, and it is unwieldy to use scanning single pages at a time. The paper tray to the ADF is not securely attached, frequently pops loose, and must be aligned just right to get it to stay in its proper place.

Other Thoughts: I ran out of room discussing the cons for the HP 5590. The software works, but is unwieldy, and prone to developing errors. Like on my computer, trying to install an update that fails to install, every time I open the program up.

So, I am reviewing scanners right now. I have my eye on one offered on sale by NewEgg. As you all know, New Egg rocks, and I know I will once again be a satisfied customer.

One of the great things about NewEgg are the customer reviews. It is very important that you read any and all reviews before you purchase an item of equipment. That is why I took the time to write a review on the HP 5590--to help my fellow customers make an informed decision before buying this scanner.

I would search sites like newegg and read the product reviews before choosing one.

50 PPM is gonna get you up into the 1,000 price range for a decent scanner.

The xerox that does 38 is 1,000 bucks. To do 40 ppm you are looking at 1,000 - 3,000 bucks.

I don't think he means 50 ppm. I think he means 50 pages at a time. I imagine it can probably be much slower than that.

I don't think he means 50 ppm. I think he means 50 pages at a time. I imagine it can probably be much slower than that.

Yeah that is what I meant. I do not care about the speed so much so as long it is not a sloth.