Very early GM trivia

> What do the letters “AC” specifically stand for in AC Delco?

"Albert Champion " - correct: VenSeattle

> What do the letters in “Delco” stand for?

"Dayton Engineering Laboratory Company - correct: Flybrian

> What is the significance of ‘United Motors Company’ and ‘International Motor Car Company’?

"...two of the proposed names... before they settled on... "General Motors"" - correct: VenSeattle

> What 3 independent truck manufacturers were bought & merged to form GMC?

"Reliance Truck, Randolph Truck and Rapid Truck were all combined to make GMC." - correct: wildmanjoe

> What 3 auto manufacturers were party to the initial talks of consolidation to form what would become General Motors?

"Ford Motor Company, Reo Motor Car Company (Reo=Ransom E. Olds; and his current company at the time), Maxwell-Briscoe" - correct: VenSeattle

> What year was the first Buick engine built?

> What year was the first Cadillac engine built? Edited by balthazar

I know I have all this info at home... but I'm at work...

As for: What 3 auto manufacturers were party to the initial talks of consolidation to form what would become General Motors?

IIRC, Ford & Oldsmobile were part of the initial talks with Durant who owned Buick. Olds agreed to allow the merger for an exchange of Buick stock (or was it in exchange for the future GM stock?), but Ford wanted cash instead of stock. Durant wouldn't give Ford cash, so Ford backed out. So GM was founded on the merger of Oldsmobile and Buick.

As for: What is the significance of ‘United Motors Company’ and ‘International Motor Car Company’?

Aren't those two of the proposed names for the auto conglomerate before they settled on the name "General Motors"?

> What do the letters “AC” specifically stand for in AC Delco? I knwo this one but can't think of it at the moment > What do the letters in “Delco” stand for? no idea > What is the significance of ‘United Motors Company’ and ‘International Motor Car Company’? no clue to be perfectly honest > What 3 independent truck manufacturers were bought & merged to form GMC? Rapid Motor cars, Raliance Trucks & uh, no idea about the third. I know Buick made trucks back in the day. > What 3 auto manufacturers were party to the initial talks of consolidation to form what would become General Motors? Dodge Brothers, Oldsmobile & Buick > What year was the first Buick engine built? 1907? > What year was the first Cadillac engine built? 1903 (this seems to easy I know I'm forgeting something)

What year was the first Buick engine built?

First engine: 1899?

First Buick car: 1901?

I have one source that says the first car was in 1900, and another 1901. I'll take 1901 because the car didn't sell until August 1901.

What year was the first Cadillac engine built?

1902?

Ven- you are close on the "Ford & Oldsmobile were part of the initial talks with Durant" but that's not it.

[post="65008"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ah! Then this is what you want:

Ford Motor Company
Reo Motor Car Company (Reo=Ransom E. Olds; and his current company at the time)
Maxwell-Briscoe

Buick ended up merging with Olds Motor Works (R.E.Olds left in 1904) & Maxwell-Briscoe in 1908 to form General Motors.

First engine: 1899? First Buick car: 1901? I have one source that says the first car was in 1900, and another 1901. I'll take 1901 because the car didn't sell until August 1901.

History points to the first "Buick" engine as being built in 1900, under the Buick Auto-Vim and Power Company, a precurser to Buick Motor Company.

I should have worded the question differently with regards to Cadillac.
Cadillac founder H.M. Leland was building gas marine engines & steam trolley engines by the year 1896, tho these were not under the name "Cadillac" but Leland & Faulconer. Those were what I was thinking of and thusly you can see the flaw in my wording. Engines manufacturered under the "Cadillac" name were built beginning in 1902- the first year of the Company.