World Magnetic comes to Charlotte NC

This was hands down the most amazing show I have ever been to.

I've seen MetallicA 3 times now and this was by far their best appearance. I have NEVER before witnessed a band so tight as this one. Death Magnetic has really breathed new life into this establishment. Everything was amazing... From the intense laser show that kicks things off to the pyrotechnics, to the falling and rising GIANT coffins, to the beach balls at the end. James voice sounded phenomenal and he has once again mastered singing in a higher octave (like the old stuff)

This show was double the pleasure for me because Lamb Of God (One of the openers) is my second favorite band behind MetallicA. Even though I did almost pass out from heat exhaustion... My dumb ass thought it would be a good idea, being already dehydrated from work, to not eat or drink anything all day to avoid having to make a 'pit stop' during the show so as not to lose my prized space on the fence. Could've pulled it off had I not already been dehydrated from working the night before.

What an amazing night.. I'd pay the hundreds of dollars and stand in line 5 hours again tomorrow if I had the chance. Needless to say, we now have a MetallicA beach ball and 2 new picks on display at our APT. (I already had one pick from Summer Sanitarium 2003)

Setlist: (Notes in paren)

1) That Was Just Your Life (The heartbeat starts right after The Ecstasy Of Gold concludes, then the whole stage is a giant laser and smoke show throughout the song -- see the pics)

2) The End Of The Line (Toward the end of this one, during the 'chops' you get your first glimpse at how tight this band really is... Unbelievable)

3) For Whom The Bell Tolls (Felt so good to here this song... Classic MetallicA attitude and angst)

4) The Four Horsemen (A pleasant surprise, this is usually where they break into Master Of Puppets or Creeping Death)

5) One

6) Broken, Beat & Scarred (dedicated to the fans -- probably the best 'performed' song of the new stuff. The riffs are so sharp and cutting. James really seems to enjoy performing this one)

7) Cyanide

8] Sad But True (dedicated to Gojira, the very good french death metal band that opened. Charlotte was their last date on the tour)

9) Turn The Page (Seger cover -- I was very excited to hear this. Nice to see a classic redone with such taste)

10) The Judas Kiss (One of my favs from the new $h!. Just as good live. This is where I started to pass out)

11) Kirk Solo #1

12) The Day That Never Comes

13) Master Of Puppets (Excellent as always)

14) Fight Fire With Fire (VERY, VERY excited to see this live! One of my absolute favorites!)

15) Kirk Solo #2

16) Nothing Else Matters

17) Enter Sandman

18) Encore Jam (The beginning to Frayed Ends Of Sanity -- Pretty cool and the crowd was really in to it. But alas, it was a Metallijoke as they announced the homage to Motorhead)

19) Too Late, Too Late (Motorhead cover -- Didn't think James could pull off vocal duties on this one too well, but he did an excellent job)

20) Phantom Lord (Dedicated to Ron McGovney who was in attendance -- I was super excited to see this performed live, given how rare of an experience that is)

21) Seek & Destroy (Had fun singing and hitting beach balls around the place)

Interesting stats:

* Only the second time that The Judas Kiss has been played in the USA

* The first time Too Late, Too Late has been played in NC and only the 6th time MetallicA has played it live since debuting the track in 1995.

* The first time Phantom Lord has been played in NC.

* The first time in 11 years that Fight Fire With Fire has been played in NC

PHOTOS: Courtesy of my lovely girlfriend

MetallicA photos start about halfway down the page.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2240...mp;l=7f07903068

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Phantom Lord?!?! Man, awesome you got to hear it live...that song has probably been gathering dust for a long time.

I saw Metallica in 2004 and last year for their Death Magnetic tour, but hands down the DM Tour was a better show and one of the best live shows I have ever seen.

Who was the other opener? When I saw them, it was The Sword (very NWOBHM sounding) and Down with Phil Anselmo.

Edit: I looked through the photos and it answered the question...

Edited by mustang84

YouTube videos:

A good recording of "Fight Fire With Fire"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFSj-A7PXro...feature=related

A good recording of "Phantom Lord"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WACfXfpirmA...feature=related

This is the laser show that kicks things off:

closer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSd06RtxC9A...feature=related

And this is "One" I was front row at the mic stand 4 minutes in:

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

:thumbsup:

Saw them in Lisbon July of this year and they were awesome. It was a Summer festival, so we had a portuguse band called RAMP, then Mastodon, then Lamb of God, then Machine Head, then Slipknot, then Metallica :)

holy cow! I'm very envious. That's almost too much metal!

Someday I'll have the money to go to Europe and see a festival. You guys certainly have better shows than us.