To the Camera Geeks Out There

Z-06

My point and shoot Canon SD850IS camera does not start. It initially had problems focusing (as BV and DF noted when I took some pictures of my cars). Now it does not even turn on charge even with the battery fully charged. I tried various things like plugging to the computer and trying to start, using spare battery, etc. with no avail. Do you know any place which will fix it and how much do you think it is to fix? I like the camera for the simple facts that it was handy, had a view finder along with the screen and had great image quality - something which was must for me while taking pictures in the field. I do not want to spend close to $300 for a new one of similar capability as I would rather invest that money to get a DSLR if the 850 cannot be fixed cheaply.

As for the DSLR cameras, which one would you choose - Canon EOS T1i or Canon EOS 50D? Based on what I have researched, it seems like Canon DSLR's seem to be ahead of the game compared to others'. Do you recommend something else? I will possibly get an advance lens with the DSLR camera if I had to get one. I was thinking about a 55-250mm lens, which can be a versatile lens that can stay on the camera for a variety of pictures. I might get a wide angled f/1.8 later in the game, but it is not a priority.

Any thoughts?

Either would be a good camera. But I shoot Pentax. :smilewide: I have good luck with them and I have been loyal to them. I currently shoot with a K100D and K10D. I also have a fleet of manual and autofocus 35mm stuff. Might I suggest a new Pentax K7D, I am drooling over those.

Either would be a good camera. But I shoot Pentax. :smilewide: I have good luck with them and I have been loyal to them. I currently shoot with a K100D and K10D. I also have a fleet of manual and autofocus 35mm stuff. Might I suggest a new Pentax K7D, I am drooling over those.

Hahaha I'm a Pentax shooter too, I just received my K7 a few days back :-). Hope to do a lot of shooting this weekend.

Okay I went to the store and compared the SX-20 and Rebel T1-I. Frankly DF SX-20 does not hold a candle in front of the T1-I. The T1-I is a very capable piece, I could not get a hold of 50D, however the guy showed me Nikon 5000D and D90. Two very much capable cameras. However, the more I read the more I am still inclined to the Canons. They just have phenomenal lens support. As for the Pentax, it does like punch of the D and N. Just see the review from dpreview.com and despite being a novice I tend to agree with their assessment about the K-7.

So my main concern now comes to this:

T1-I vs. 50D

$778 vs. $1,161

18-55 lens vs. 28-135 L lens (The price delta reduces to $100 if I get body only)

Video capability vs. No video capability

Release Aug 2009 vs. Release Sep 2008

3.4 fps vs. 6.3 fps

Despite being old the 50D has better optics compared to T1-I and they both share the same DIGIC IV processor. I think it frankly comes down to choosing between newer top of the line Cruze vs. 4-cylinder Malibu that share the same engine.