Drove a Hydrogen Fuel Cell GM Car.

I got to take a short drive in a Hydrogen Fuel cell Equinox Saturday.

This was my first chance to try a electric GM product. While it was powered by a Hydrogen electric fuel cell it gave me some idea of what to expect of acceleration of the electric drivetrain that is not the same but similar in many respects to the Volt.

The torqe is like right now. I spun the tires into the traction control and it did not stop till I lifted down the track. It had plenty of pep. It was dead quiet accept for a little electric motor noise that a radio would cover easy.

The dash has a meter to show electric use vs a tach. Coasting it would show the regenerative power going back in.

These cars are several years old now and GM has made many advances since. I never thought I would see one of the 100 built but they had several on hand and I was impressed. If they as I am sure they have improved on this for the Volt it will make a pleasent driving car that does not feel or react like a golf cart.

The one advantage of the Fuel Cell is there was no extra weight so the car did not have to deal with the weight penalty the battery cars do.

Too bad GM could not get companies to invest in hydrogen filling stations to make this a viable option. In stead of these high speed trains [in Ohio that means a average speed of 49 MPH] they want to put in the goverment could build a distibution system to supply this kind of vehicle. Several companies could start building these cars soon if they has a place to refill.