Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

I need advice-input - Today at work

Today at work, a jerk contractor who is a client for a build-out went off on me for 15 minutes. On M and W, I go in at 6:30 and leave at 3:30 for an evening class I take. He started at 3:12 and it ended at 3:27 pm.

What he screamed about was petty. He's this cocky ex-jock type of jerk now in construction management (kind of a typical path, actually) who was pissed because there were 4 minor misinterpretations of what he wanted in his documents. I had an answer for every one of them. I was even big enough to admit I made my own interpretation on some that I didn't know how they would fly. He cooled a little but, in the 2 years I've been at this firm, or in any archi. firm, I've never had anybody go off like this.

I really wanted to tell him to f*** off, but I value my job and my income. How do you deal with a client or customer who goes for your throat in a work setting? I'm pretty conscientious about what I do, so I don't see much of this.

Edited by trinacriabob

This is how you deal with it:

Since he is not your boss and is a client, you do the very very very bare minimum with this particular client. Once you have a contract and he is paying you X amount of dollars, you can take your sweet time in dealing with him. Also, you may or may not want to let your boss know the situation in case this client ever goes over your head to complain. You are under no obligation to give this hothead excellent service, and unless he is your biggest client and your company depends on his patronage, you likely don't want to give him many reasons to want to work with you again, no?

I usually make a stupid, smartass, random remark as long as they're not my boss or above me.

Like, "Oh $h!, and my balls itch." *walk out of room*

:nono:

just denie everything and act dumb

You are under no obligation to give this hothead excellent service, and unless he is your biggest client and your company depends on his patronage, you likely don't want to give him many reasons to want to work with you again, no?

He is NOT a big client. The job for him is almost done. Aside from these 4 minute flaws, the drawings given to him were very good.

He gives us work from time to time. I will probably tell the main guy at work what occurred and couch it carefully...since he seems to have my ear to some extent. I'll also tell him to assign someone else to his project on the next go around.

Today at work, a jerk contractor who is a client for a build-out went off on me for 15 minutes. On M and W, I go in at 6:30 and leave at 3:30 for an evening class I take.  He started at 3:12 and it ended at 3:27 pm.

What he screamed about was petty.  He's this cocky ex-jock type of jerk now in construction management (kind of a typical path, actually) who was pissed because there were 4 minor misinterpretations of what he wanted in his documents.  I had an answer for every one of them.  I was even big enough to admit I made my own interpretation on some that I didn't know how they would fly.  He cooled a little but, in the 2 years I've been at this firm, or in any archi. firm, I've never had anybody go off like this.

I really wanted to tell him to f*** off, but I value my job and my income.  How do you deal with a client or customer who goes for your throat in a work setting?  I'm pretty conscientious about what I do, so I don't see much of this.

I usually tend to change my conversation style to one which clearly displays my superior vocabulary. I use words that I know the other person won't understand, and then after a few minutes I ask them if they know what I'm talking about. I do this as long as it takes for the person to feel like a complete idiot. Even if it doesn't fix the issue, it usually takes care of putting the person in their place.

Of course, I have been counseled by bosses many times for my communication skills. They always say that it is not what I say, but HOW I say it!!! That is because I know what and what not to say and follow those rules well, but I tend to use communication as a weapon against idiots who deserve it.

Good Luck and if this doesn't work, just smack the jerk and tell your boss that he called you cupcake and grabbed your butt!!!!!!!!!!