Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Which Brake Pads Should I get?

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which Brake Pads Should I get?

• Wagner PD759 ThermoQuiet Non-Asbestos Organic
    • Wagner MX782 ThermoQuiet Semi Metallic
    • Akebono ACT782 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic

So I can finally get around to buying the hardware to do my rear brakes. I'm going with Wagner BD125306 rotors, but I'm not sure what to go with for pads still.

Apparently Intrepids without ABS came with organic pads while ABS Intrepids came with semi-metallic, but the pads are interchangeable.

The choices are:

• Wagner PD759 ThermoQuiet Non-Asbestos Organic Disc Brake Pad Set: $30.89
  • Wagner MX782 ThermoQuiet Semi Metallic Disc Brake Pad Set: $35.46
  • Akebono ACT782 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set - $61.99

I've heard good things about both ThermoQuiets and Akebonos. I can get the ThermoQuiets for a really good deal on Amazon, and I can get an employee discount on the Akebonos.

Of the three (and only these three), which is the best value and compromise of stopping power, brake dust, life, quietness, and abrasiveness to the rotors? Explain why please (never done brakes before, so good info is greatly appreciated).

I'm not familiar with anything other than VW components, but, I went with OEM-spec Brembro rotors and Mintex Red pads. Its a good combination, though I ought to have refinished the carriers, as they are pretty rusty and I doubt the pads have smooth travel. Once I replace the rear brakes, I might consider duplicating the combination I used in the front.

The Aks only...I won't touch wagner or reybestos. The squeaking alone will drive you nuts, and since your car is a bit heavier, it will sqeal too. Granted, at least you'll stop.

The Aks will last twice as long too....

Only Aks or Bendix for mine....wearever from AAP in a pinch.....

I'm about ready to tear the reybestos out of the wife's cav any day now....