Beyond the Volt

dwightlooi

2 members have voted

1. 1. The Electra / ETS is a

• Great Idea
    • Horrible Idea
    • Not Sure

I believe in neither Global Warming nor the importance of reducing carbon emissions. But, I can see a place for entry luxury vehicles with a refined, fuel efficient and sprightly power train. Such a vehicle will have significant appeal regardless of the potential buyer's propensity to drink Climate Change Coolaid. In this regard, the Volt is lacking in terms of cost effectiveness and performance -- it is a nice Halo car, but it won't be a volume seller. Paying $15,000 extra to save even 70% on the average $1000~1200 annual gas tab doesn't make sense because you won't break even for 17~22 years, and the public is already beginning to awaken to the fraud that is global warming. However, paying $7500 extra for the silence of electric propulsion and V6 class performance with ~50 mpg (combined) thrown in as a bonus may make a lot of sense.

I think GM will be well served by making a low cost derivative of the Volt drive train. Here's how I'll do it.

Models: Buick Electra / Cadillac ETS

Platform: Modified Epsilon II (SWB)

Price: $35,000~40,000

Engine: 138hp 1.4 liter Turbocharged Inline-4 --(from Chevy Cruze)

Motor-Generator: 138hp (uprated)

Electric-Motor: 149hp (Unchanged)

Battery: 3.2 kWh Lithium Ion battery pack (down from 16kWh)

Electric only range: 8 miles

Fuel Type: 87 Octane

Plug-in charging: Not supported

Operating Modes:-

Below 70 mph with light-moderate throttle; 30~100% battery charge:

• Vehicle is fully electric
  • Engine and Generator Motor are not connected to planetary gearset
  • Engine is stopped; Generator Motor is not turning

Below 70 mph, light-moderate throttle, 0~30% battery charge:

• Vehicle is operating in series hybrid mode
  • Engine and Generator Motor are not connected to planetary gear set
  • Engine runs to provide electricity to recharge battery, only electric motor drives the wheels

Above 70 mph or heavy throttle; 0~100% battery charge:

• Vehicle is operating in parallel hybrid mode
  • Engine and Generator Motor are connected to planetary gear set
  • Engine is supplies up to 138hp to assist 149hp electric motor

Vehicle is out of gas; 0~100% battery charge:

• Vehicle is fully electric
  • Engine and Generator Motor are not connected to planetary gear set
  • Maximum Vehicle speed limited to 70 mph

Basically, it's the Volts Drivetrain with the capacity of the $10000 battery reduced by 80%, while the 1.4 liter is uprated from 84hp to 138hp.

Edited by dwightlooi

And since it'll be lighter and presumably more efficient, it's quite possible that its overall carbon emissions and cost-per-mile are equivalent to that of the Volt.

The PIP is on par with Volt, and this has specifications similar to the PIP (~3 kWh battery), the difference being this trades off potential electric range (8 miles vs. 13 miles) for the ability to exclusively drive in EV mode at all speeds (100 mph vs. 60 mph). The key is really optimizing the weight of this vehicle so that it doesn't exceed 3400 lbs.

I believe in Global warming and the need to reduce Carbon, but also believe in the need for real world people to drive real world cars. Congrats to GM for making real steps in the right direction.

I don't believe in the Warming nor The Carbon issue. But I believe like many there is a lot of money to be made off the great lie.

While I may not believe in Warming I do have no issue with cleaner and efficent cars if they can be made to a respectable level of performance. I see no harm in this at all. FOr the Believers their money is just as green as the cars I want to sell them.

I suspect with the pending CAFE and emissions we will see some of technology GM has learned from the Volt incorperated into future products. While it may never be as advanced it would be cheaper and make the normal car more efficent and cleaner to meet Goverment mandates.

It may get to the point the Volt may just fade way and much of what they are going to put into it in the future will find it's way into all the cars. Lets face it, if they move to 62 MPG or lower carbon levels they will have to make some great changes.

Dwight I think you are on the right track and suspect GM is on a similar path.

The technology in cars will explode just as it has in Cell Phone, Home Computer and just about every other part of our life.