2003 Cavalier fuel pump

jwbouch

Well, this might be pointless to post right now, because I don't have much information, as this isn't my car. My boyfriends car just broke down on him, and from what he told me and the 5 minutes of research I just did, it kind of sounds like a fuel pump - which seems to be a common issue on the Cavalier? Anyone familiar with this particular problem, or know what is involved in replacing it, or if there are any tests I could do to make sure that is the actual problem, and not something else?

He pulled into the driveway, and the next day he went to start it and nothing happened. He said he turns the key and it doesn't crank at all, let alone turn over. He thought the battery was dead, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Hooked it up to jumper cables and still nothing happened.

If anyone has questions that need answered to come up with a more certain diagnosis, let me know, and I"ll ask him. Thanks!

Well, this might be pointless to post right now, because I don't have much information, as this isn't my car. My boyfriends car just broke down on him, and from what he told me and the 5 minutes of research I just did, it kind of sounds like a fuel pump - which seems to be a common issue on the Cavalier? Anyone familiar with this particular problem, or know what is involved in replacing it, or if there are any tests I could do to make sure that is the actual problem, and not something else?

He pulled into the driveway, and the next day he went to start it and nothing happened. He said he turns the key and it doesn't crank at all, let alone turn over. He thought the battery was dead, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Hooked it up to jumper cables and still nothing happened.

If anyone has questions that need answered to come up with a more certain diagnosis, let me know, and I"ll ask him. Thanks!

Fuel pump will commonly go out of the blue on any GM car over X years old or XXX miles. However, a dead fuel pump will result in a crank-no start situation, and you can test the fuel pump by listening for it start up or by using a fuel pressure gauge.

Since this car is not even turning over, I'd suspect starter/solenoid (replaced with starter), battery or battery cables. Since he tried to jump it without success, I'd look at starter first. But keep in mind, its possible to not jump start the car right, so for a proper diagnosis, I'd doubel check that the starter was getting enough juice.

You can remove the starter and have many parts places will test it.

Fuel pump will commonly go out of the blue on any GM car over X years old or XXX miles. However, a dead fuel pump will result in a crank-no start situation, and you can test the fuel pump by listening for it start up or by using a fuel pressure gauge.

Since this car is not even turning over, I'd suspect starter/solenoid (replaced with starter), battery or battery cables. Since he tried to jump it without success, I'd look at starter first. But keep in mind, its possible to not jump start the car right, so for a proper diagnosis, I'd doubel check that the starter was getting enough juice.

You can remove the starter and have many parts places will test it.

Thanks for the tips. I'll dig a little deeper.

• 1 month later...

I'd bet it is the fuel pump. Dead fuel pumps are a very common issue on the 2003s.

Our 2003 Cav's fuel pump died right at 50k.hissyfit.gif

Interesting enough, the only issue I've ever had with the car....

These Cavs are beasts...my brothers 2005 has 200K with nothing but oil changes, brakes and tires done!

Hope you find your issue!

A little suggestion from the grandam boards;

Try not to let the fuel level get too low. The gas acts as a cooling medium to the fuel pump; so if your low on gas the fuel pump heats up for 2 reason:

a: as mentioned above

b: you know when your at the bottom of a McDonalds Coke? Its hard to get the last bit of coke? Essentially your giving the fuel pump a hard time in getting the last of the fuel.

I try not to let my Malibu get below 1/4 tank (although I frequently do, I just try not to haha).

Its not to say that draining it every time will cause your pump to go; but not letting it drain all the time will only help your cause.