The Cavalier

So it seems just as I get the Mustang running decent again; no miss and so far neither a wheel nor a caliper has flown off, it's the Cavalier's turn.

Today I was 'toolin' down the road and all of the sudden the "No Trac" light comes on and I have a loss of power. I pull off to the side of the road (in the ghetto, no less) and the car dies. First thing I do is lock my new Canon in the trunk and look for a weapon.... Oh wait, I actually did that, but that's the wrong story. First thing I notice is this godawful smell of sulfur. My first thought is a battery issue or a cat converter issue. I get out and check the battery, since it would be a quick fix. It's not hot (I was worried that the alternator might be overcharging it and cooking it) and both of the cables look good and are snug. Thinking the worst (it's a cat converter issue) I get back into the car and put the keys in the switch in hopes of at least being able to push/guide it to the side of the road. Just for giggles, I tun the switch and it fires right up and makes it home.

It's still not running quite right though... So, any thoughts? Cat converter? It's a 2001 Cavalier with the 2.2L and it's not flashing any codes that I know of. (No light)

I swear, it seems that everything I touch lately breaks down. Maybe it's life's way of trying to get me back into working on cars.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Cat would be my first thought, for the smell... but that don't explain the "No Trac" light, which I imagine would be signaled by a glitch in the ABS computer. Was it a hot day? Did you get a bad batch of gas recently?

About the only thing I can suggest right now is to loosen up the bolts holding the cat in and visually inspect the mesh. Perhaps the cat is going, overheated and the mesh is partially melted, resulting in the feeling that the car is not right. Does the exhaust still smell sulphury, or did the smell go away?

Cat would be my first thought, for the smell... but that don't explain the "No Trac" light, which I imagine would be signaled by a glitch in the ABS computer. Was it a hot day? Did you get a bad batch of gas recently?

It was warmer than it has been in a while (low to mid 70s) but by no means hot for Charlotte. As far as the gas thing goes; not that I know of. But I'm not even sure where the last tank came from (it's the GFs car)

About the only thing I can suggest right now is to loosen up the bolts holding the cat in and visually inspect the mesh. Perhaps the cat is going, overheated and the mesh is partially melted, resulting in the feeling that the car is not right. Does the exhaust still smell sulphury, or did the smell go away?

The smell is gone now.

It's the cat.

Similar issue in my old cav.....sounds like it's screwing with everything on the car...

Her last Cavi had Cat issues as well. I can try to check it out, but I've read other places that the entire exhaust is welded up and has to be replaced as one unit. I'm not sure how true that is as I didn't get a chance to look at it before work today. I did drive it to work though (roughly a mile from the house) just to see if I could duplicate the problem and it ran fine. Then again, if it's heat related, that would definitely not be enough time to heat it up.

As for the No Trac light... Only thing I can think is if the car started missing, maybe the loss of power to the wheels could trigger it. I really have NO clue about traction systems (except how to turn the one in my Mustang off ;))

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM