B-17 Liberty Bell Destroyed in a Fire

Extremely said day for anyone who has an appreciation of these old warbirds. Apparently there was a fire on engine #2 shortly after takeoff. The pilot found a field and made a successful emergency landing. Everyone on board escaped. At the time teh fire was small and it was thought the plane could be saved. However the firefighters sat and watched it burn, claiming that the ground was too soft for the trucks to drive on.

This last part really aggravates me. Last time I checked, an 18 ton plane weighs more than a firetruck. yet they made a successful landing on said field. And to add insult to injury, footage shows the lazy bastards with their trucks on the field half-assed dousing what is at that point wreckage. That plane could have been saved.

libertybelle20110613_600.jpg

Some more details here:

http://www.libertyfoundation.org/index.html

really sad. There's only like 13 airworthy examples of this plane left, probably survived everything from flack to anti-air rockets, and it's finally taken down by a lowly engine fire...

but yeah they could have got those trucks onto the field. I've seen firetrucks drive through mud up to their chassis before.

Un-f@#kin-believable!

Even if the field was too soft (which is bull$h!) 1) they could've attacked it from a distance and 2) they could've extinguished the flames, then towed the truck out of the field. It's not like we're dealing with something easily replaced here. If I were the chief of that Dept, I'd be doing everything in my power, including handing extinguishers to my men, to save this jewel.

Firefighters these days are a sad example of what they used to be. It seems that insurance and bureaucracy dictates EVERYTHING they do... Here's a thought guys; YOU signed up for the job, now get your asses out there and get it done.

So glad I got to see this jewel twice... Too bad I never had the money to ride in it.

I never got to see it. I've seen the movie Memphis Belle, 909, and Aluminum Overcast. It was one of only a 10 of these planes still flying. I can't believe it was allowed to burn to the ground. Then of course the media keeps calling it a "cash". There was no crash. It made a successful emergency landing and burned to the ground because the firefighters watched it burn.

Most rural departments began switching to AWD chassis back in the 90's. Either this FD is po-dunk or they're just lazy bastards.

'But FOG, what if they get stuck and get another emergency.'

Doesn't matter... ISO qualifications (here in NC at least) require you to equip your fire department with at least 2 'Class A' pumpers just in case something like this happens. (Most rural departments have 2 Class As and a 3rd large pumper or tanker at least, not to mention a light duty 'brush' pumper)

And even still, mutual aid agreements FURTHER ensure the safety of that set up anyway.

There is absolutely NO reason this plane should've burned. I hope the Liberty Foundation launches an investigation against the department.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I've just realized that that poor plane was 44-85734 a 5th engine test bed, one of two or three such B-17s. It used to be on display at the Connecticut Aeronautical Historic Association. It was partially destroyed by an F3 tornado then donated and restored of flying condition by Don Brooks.

It's very sad that not only was a B-17 lost, but one with a very interesting history.

What's sadly ironic is that the original Liberty Belle (42-30096), was lost due to an accidental on-board fire on November 30, 1943 and crashed near Wakes Colne

I know my fire department would have hauled lines (hoses) out to the fire to put it out. They don't waste a minute to extinguish something on fire, or respond to an auto accident where they have to extracate the victim. My chief is known for getting right into the heat of the battle (no pun intended), and has been told by higher ups that he needs to let the firefighters do the job as he supervises (he's not one for standing around). Very sad that this piece of history had to burn.