My Dream aka Mad Maxx

OK so here's the premise I want to have the most utility using the least amount of

fuel at the lowest cost with the most comfort for 5-6 people. Some of you with good

memories will remember that I posted a link about 6 years ago of the Mad Maxx 10HP

Chevy. A single cylinder diesel Yanmar air cooled clone engine coupled to the GEO

Metro's manual 5spd via a Comet CVT.http://www.utterpower.com/10hp_chevy.htm

I even talked to the Engineer for about 25 min long distance to get a better

understanding of such a conversion. My background is I've graduated from LTI in

Indy back in 79 and worked as a mechanic (auto,truck & Bldg) machinist & slightly

dabbled in the drafting field. So I feel that I've a good handle on the project.

My vehicle of choice has changed many times Metro,Legacy wagon,S10ext, now Dakota ext.

Hell Ive even thought of a Fiero and an entire line of conversions ala Mad Maxx.

I'll use small diesels out of commercial mowers or generators light plants ect...

Those with fixed spd governors will be modded to variable and will be sourced as

cheaply as possible on the net. Then the CVT had problems as Comet was sold in the

Financial Melt-down and has not restarted under Certified ownership 2 years later

I don't think they will anytime soon. So with Google I've found the CVT used in the

French Micro Car Axium. Since the CVT is used with a Kubota and in a heavier auto verses a much lighter snowmobile or 4wheeler it will be easier to tune to my application.

The power plant will be at least 22-35Hp & will be good for 60-80ft lbs of torque.

The gear reduction will range from 55 to.76 to 1 so torque will not be an issue.

The power to weight will be quite a bit less than a fully loaded Semi tractor trailer.

I'll use a 5spd manual that will be semi-automatic w/o clutch using the CVT in loo of.

At some point I want to incorporate a turbo and a SWVO fuel system also.

The engines will be able to drive the truck to at least 65mph and at that speed get

very close to 100mpg. It only takes 10ish HP to push a car through the air at 55-60 mph

so the math should be about right and the extra HP will just help out the acceleration

and top speed.

OK so if you are interested in this project I need ideas on a vacuum pump for the brake

booster and I've heard from others on the net using an electric pump but I'm thinking a

mechanical pump from an Olds diesel. Any other constructive thoughts would be much

appreciated but please no attacks ie white civic pix.

Help me build it and realize my dream of never being stuck at home no matter what the price

of fuel. I see potential of helping others while creating an income for myself also in

this MAD MAXX WORLD.

In having a Chevy 1500 ext for the past 3 years I've come to realize I can't/won't be w/o a pick-up again. This is all about compromise part car so I can take the grand kids with me truck to haul /tow. Good MPG not your typical 0-60mph but I think I could live with it. I really envision doing a 1500 ext Chevy at some point with around 35HP.