Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Radio and Automotive System Ideas

It seems like everyone are now pushing out playing MP3s from CDs, some with DVD support. Seeing Infiniti and Chrysler starting to push out radios with hard drives, that does sound like the way to go. Automotive systems seems to be gettin more sophisticated as well, but Delphi seems to be slow on these technologies.

Well, I have some ideas which I thought about, and probably I'll realize one as my fourth year project:

1. Removable portable storage for multimedia and driver's information

This system will consist of a removable storage, e.g. USB key, flash card, etc., that plugs into the console. The new G35 has this. My idea is to have a multifunction USB key that attaches to a concealed slot in the console. USB for wider range of support.

The user, when arrives at home, can remove this key and plug it back into their PC. They will be able to copy music and videos onto the key, then plug it back to their car and enjoy it on the road, or even copy it to the internal hard drive of the radio and create a larger library.

That's pretty much where the G35's system ends (minus the video part).

Now for my system, in addition to multimedia features, it functions as a driver's information system as well. On the USB key, there will be a small hidden section which can only be read by proprietary software. This software, there will be a dealer's version and a owner's version. In the dealer's version, crucial information is stored, such as warranty repairs, maintenance information, vehicle mileage, user complaints, etc., all retained in the key. The owner's version contains simplified versions of the same information, which the user can print out oil change and repair records, fuel economy information, etc. Users can also key in problems as they find them via the software. It is also connected online to a server hosted by the manufacturer, and if problems are found or recalls are issued, suitable action can be taken and notify owners. So during dealer visits, everything can be obtained just using this key. This avoids the situation where some minor problems are found and forgotten to take care of, enhancing the consumer experience.

On fleet vehicles, mileage and fuel economy information can be useful. There can even be a fleet version of the software, which is able to manage more cars.

On some high performance cars, G-force reports, horsepower records, can also be downloaded and printed as well. You can then show off to your friends how many Gs your car pulled on that skidpad.

2. Wireless GMLAN

Essentially similar to #1, just that instead of communicating using a USB key, everything will be done over encrypted wireless networking. As the car is parked into the garage at home or the workshop at the dealership, the car is "docked", and the information can be downloaded.

On a faster version of the network, multimedia can also be sent to the hard drive of the radio. Only concern here is the transfer performance.

3. XM Radio On Demand via Internet Streaming

Users can have programmable channels, in which users can hook online streams onto the XM servers, and listen to online streams, with time shifting feature. For example, you can program international or out of state/provice radio stations, such as BBC radio streams from the UK, or Radio channels from Hong Kong, or even listening to US local radio in Canada, as long as they have an online streaming version. And by setting time zones, time shifting is automatically calculated, and shifted to the correct time of playing.

This can give XM subscribers more freedom, and can cover the "International" part of XM Radio. It's actually one of the things why I'm not getting XM, because their selection of Chinese genres are basically none. This should attract more foreign users to XM Radio.

Edited by ToniCipriani

As for #2, that can be done via Bluetooth.

What I would like to do, is look up an address on maps.google.com and sent it to my car. I would like to syncronize my Outlook contact list <consequently my cell phone contacts> to my hands free dialing in my car, and I would like to send some Mp3s to the car's hard drive for my trip.

The best part... all this exists in current cell phone technology. I can do ALL of the above with my current cell phone.

As for #2, that can be done via Bluetooth.

What I would like to do, is look up an address on maps.google.com and sent it to my car. I would like to syncronize my Outlook contact list <consequently my cell phone contacts> to my hands free dialing in my car, and I would like to send some Mp3s to the car's hard drive for my trip.

The best part... all this exists in current cell phone technology. I can do ALL of the above with my current cell phone.

Well, Bluetooth isn't at all that safe, on a security perspective. I'm thinking encrypted 802.11 Ethernet, which happens to be more common than Bluetooth. I want to reserve the Bluetooth for the in-car phone system. Hence, you don't need the contact syncing system, as the hansfree display contacts from your phone, not the car.

Edited by ToniCipriani