Details: 2012 Holden Colorado Ute (Drive.com.au)

Source: http://theage.drive....0612-207la.html

Holden hopes to cash in on ute boom with all-new workhorse.

Holden has launched a late bid for a slice of the booming workhorse ute market with a ground-up revision of its Colorado, featuring a 26-model range.

Holden is the fourth major manufacturer in the past 12 months – following Volkswagen (Amarok), Ford (Ranger) and Mazda (BT-50) – to line up for a shot at the crown held by Toyota’s HiLux, which last month led all vehicle sales in Australia in spite of being one of the oldest utes on the market.

Holden’s executive director of sales, marketing and aftersales, John Elsworth, admits dealers have been sweating on the ute’s arrival, as they’ve had to watch from the sidelines while the workhorse ute market boomed, fed by Australia’s lucrative mining industry.

“Colorado plays a vital role in our portfolio; it’s traditionally one of our best-selling models and extremely important to our brand so this launch couldn’t come quick enough,” Elsworth says.

The Colorado kicks off with the most expensive base model price of its major rivals, from $26,990 (plus on-road and dealer costs) for its DX single cab 4x2 model with a cab chassis body style.

The most expensive Colorado, an LTZ 4x4 crew cab pickup, is pricier than a range-topping HiLux or BT-50 at $51,990 but cheaper than the equivalent Ranger, Amarok or Nissan Navara. However, specification levels vary significantly between marques at this end of the range.

Safety has become a genuine talking point in this style of vehicle, with protection levels ramped up significantly by recent arrivals to the segment.

All Colorado models get both front airbags and full-length curtain airbags that protect both front and rear passengers’ heads, but side airbags that protect the chest and abdomen aren’t available at all, unlike some competitors.

Rear parking sensors for the 5.3-metre long utility are an option on all models barring cab-chassis variants. Stability control is standard across the range but the Colorado has not yet been independently crash tested.

The new Thailand-built Colorado will launch without a petrol engine for the first time, instead featuring a choice of two new “Duramax” turbo diesel engines.

A 2.5-litre 4-cylinder unit is only available on the low-spec DX model and puts out 110kW and 350Nm in return for fuel use ranging from 7.9L/100km (4x2) to 8.1L (4x4) and a 3.0-tonne towing capacity.

The 2.8-litre 4-cylinder engine that will power most models in the range (LX, LT and LTZ) makes 132kW and 440Nm when paired with a five-speed manual, or 470Nm with the optional six-speed auto ($2000). Official fuel use ranges between 7.8L/100km and 9.3L, depending on the model. Towing capacity is beefed up to a class-leading 3.5 tonnes.

The engines comply with Euro IV standards and get a 2.5-star rating from the Green Vehicle Guide, which is a step down from the 3.0-star rating attracted by the majority of the previous engine range.

Every model in the range will accept a 1.0-tonne payload, and some models will carry up to 1.4 tonnes.

Buyers can choose from four specification levels (DX, LX, LT, LTZ), three cab styles (single, space and crew cabs), two chassis styles (cab chassis or pickup), 4x2 or 4x4 drivelines, plus the two engines and transmissions.

An accessories catalogue includes 38 items, including a snorkel kit, foglights, cargo liner, towbar, bulbar, nudge bar, hard tonneau cover, floor mats and a bonnet protector. Holden says more than 65 per cent of the add-ons are unique to Australia and were developed here by Holden’s engineers.

Holden engineers and designers also contributed “significantly” to the Colorado’s global development program, which cost $2 billion.

The ute will sell in 60 countries.

Standard equipment across the range includes independent double wishbone suspension with coil springs at the front and leaf springs at the rear, hydraulic rack and pinion steering, airconditioning, power windows, Bluetooth connectivity, USB input with iPod compatibility, and an alarm.

The LX model adds cruise control, steering wheel controls, powered side mirrors, carpet floor trim, 6-speaker audio, and front bucket seats that adjust four or six ways (depending on body style).

The LT model adds 16-inch alloy wheels and foglights, while the range-topping LTZ adds 17-inch alloys, projector headlights, LED taillights, a soft tonneau cover, alloy sports bar, side steps, climate control airconditioning, eight-speaker audio, eight-way electrically-adjustable driver’s seat, and interior and exterior chrome highlights.

Pricing

(excludes on-road and dealer costs; manual price, auto adds $2000)

4x2 Single cab

DX Cab Chassis 2.5L - $26,990 (no auto)

LX Cab Chassis 2.8L - $27,990

4x2 Crew Cab

LX Cab Chassis 2.8L - $33,990

LX Pickup 2.8L - $35,490

LT Pickup 2.8L - $36,490

LTZ Pickup 2.8L - $40,990

4x4 Single cab

DX Cab Chassis 2.8L - $34,990 (no auto)

LX Cab Chassis 2.8L - $35,990

4x4 Space cab

LX Cab Chassis 2.8L - $40,490

LTZ Pickup 2.8L - $47,490

4x4 Crew Cab

LX Cab Chassis 2.8L - $42,990

LX Pickup 2.8L - $44,490

LT Pickup 2.8L - $45,490

LTZ Pickup 2.8L - $49,990

*See pictures of the Holden Colorado at the link above.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Strong powertrain options, but I hope for a gas 4 and V6 for America.

Styling is not a strong suit in the iterations I've seen so far. The front end is outdated by the new Traverse and Impala (I say this because the Colorado face is clearly inspired by cars, not trucks).

As ever, I hope for front end sheetmetal changes, the option for bigger tires, and powertrain additions for America. As well as a GMC version.

Strong powertrain options, but I hope for a gas 4 and V6 for America.

Styling is not a strong suit in the iterations I've seen so far. The front end is outdated by the new Traverse and Impala (I say this because the Colorado face is clearly inspired by cars, not trucks).

As ever, I hope for front end sheetmetal changes, the option for bigger tires, and powertrain additions for America. As well as a GMC version.

I cannot argue with your statements, and back them up 100% - especially your summary sentence at the end. Those address all of my issues with this new mid-size truck, especially the GMC model :smilewide:

• 2 weeks later...

I expect some powertrain changes and wheel and tire combo's. I also expect different trim options on the inside. But I do not expect much change t the nose. I would not have any issue with a change but I just don't expect at this point we will see it.

As for Styling I have little issue other than the quad cab and the odd wheel base with the bed.

The fact is almost anything is better than the present truck and most times these little trucks do better as being more car like since most people who want the truck look just buy the larger truck anyways. The price makes it hard to down size when you can get a Full Size LT for not much more when they are on sale.

PowerTrains Rock, Bring the Baby Duramax Diesel, it will sell!!!

Body style goes with the rest of the Chevy Family, they could update it to be more Impala/Malibu like and then tweak the inside for the US. Over all it is a nice truck and would do well here.

Your last paragraph is totally incorrect.

Well then why do so many old S10 owners keep away from the present truck. Other than ugly and cheap the first complaint is size. Most want a truck just the size of the old truck. I find it puzzling that GM keeps thinking everyone wants mid sized here when the old out dated Ranger ate their lunch and stole their bus ticket.

The other issue was price. Once you start to add options the LT package on a Silverado becomes a much better deal and value. I have a 2009 Silverado LT2 Extended cab here with many options that was sold for $21K and with the trade of an older truck was out the door for $17K. Others at work drive similar trucks and also got similar deals in the Chevy fall truck sale.

I tried to look at a Colorado and to get what I wanted was similar in price and was half the truck. I ended up passing as I just could not get past the cheap interior.

I deal with many truck owners daily and the one common comment from nearly all past S10 and Sonoma owners is that if they could find a new one like the one they had they would buy it. Few bought the Colorado.

The Old Ranger is something that needed to be learned from and I feel even if this new truck is an improvment it will miss the real market in size and price. Guys who want real truck buy full size and guys who what a truck that doubles as a a car buy small trucks.

Sorry nope. The Colorado is not much bigger than the S-10.

Regular cab 2WD dimensions S-10/Colorado:

67.9 W 67.6

62.0 H 64.9

190.0 L 192.4

108.3 WB 111.3

Extended cab 2WD dimensions S-10/Colorado:

67.9 W 67.6

62.7 H 64.9

205.3 L 207.1

122.9 WB 126.0

This is for the 2000 S-10 and 2012 Colorado, per Edmunds. The S-10 had 15" wheels, the Colorado moved to 16" a few years ago as standard, so that might have a tiny bit to do with overall height, not much but a little.

Edited by ocnblu