Drew Dowdell

Interactive Review: 2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE

13 posts in this topic

Drew Dowdell    5,170

August 7, 2012

Drew Dowdell

Managing Editor

CheersandGears.com

A couple of weeks ago William gave us his review of the 2012 Volkswagen Passat SE 2.5. While William loved the roominess and quality of the interior, he was less impressed with the 2.5 liter gasoline 5-cylinder motivation. I have driven the Volkswagen 5-cylinder in the Passat and a few other vehicles and I'm inclined to agree with him. In response to that, the Passat is taking another turn in the CheersandGears.com garage this week except this time with an oil burner under the hood and me at the helm. Diesel powered cars have been enjoying a rapid increase in sales lately and Volkswagen is one of the largest purveyors of diesel cars in the US. Diesels accounted for 19.4% of Volkswagen’s sales in July of 2012.

This 2012 Passat TDI has a sticker price of $28,665 and is equipped with sunroof, and automatic climate control. At first that may sound high for a conservative mid-size car, but given the amount of room, equipment, and of course fuel economy, the Passat TDI starts to look quite the bargain.

The Passat TDI is EPA rated at 30mpg city and 40mpg highway with a combined rating of 34mpg. The only other mid-size cars that can touch that are the hybrids from Toyota, Hyundai, and Kia. However, the Passat TDI regularly gets real world numbers that beat the EPA rating by a substantial margin.

As for power, the 2 liter turbo diesel is rated at just 140 horsepower but also sends 235 ft-lb of torque through the 6-speed DSG to the front wheels. All 236 ft-lb becomes available at just 1,500 rpm which I unwittingly found out when making a left hand turn during my initial drive and ended up slapped by the traction control nanny as the front wheels broke loose. The pull from the engine around town is a lot stronger than anyone expects from a 2 liter 4 cylinder.

For this week, I will be driving my normal commute till Friday to get a good read on the city fuel economy. Starting Friday evening until Monday afternoon, I will be taking the Passat on a long distance trip so I can get a good reading of the cruising fuel economy.

Even just the first 5 miles of driving the Passat reinforced my “smooth but different” opinion of the Volkswagen 6-speed DSG transmission that was established during the 2012 Volkswagen Beetle Turbo review.

So gear up your questions for this week’s interactive review of the 2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI.

Drew Dowdell is Managing Editor of CheersandGears.com and can be reached at Drew.Dowdell@CheersandGears.com or on twitter as @Cheersngears

Click here to view the article

dfelt    1,875

OK, First questions as I have come to have male and females ask me these questions about diesels.

When Idling is the engine smooth or rough to be noticeable from inside the car?

Do you have the constant smell of oil burning or is it really not noticable?

With windows up, no fan on or radio, how loud is the engine? Any chance on testing the DB level?

Is this engine a direct injection?

Does it feel nose heavy or lite and nimble?

Looking forward to your review with pictures of the engine compartment and trunk.

Z-06    493

I think I can answer them, since I have driven the Jetta TDI.

OK, First questions as I have come to have male and females ask me these questions about diesels.

When Idling is the engine smooth or rough to be noticeable from inside the car? NO

Do you have the constant smell of oil burning or is it really not noticable? HELL NO

With windows up, no fan on or radio, how loud is the engine? Any chance on testing the DB level? Slightly higher than gas burner.

Is this engine a direct injection? YES

Does it feel nose heavy or lite and nimble? DREW's ANSWER

Looking forward to your review with pictures of the engine compartment and trunk.

Modern diesels have come a long way. I was testing one of our new CAT track-hoes. I was amazed by how silent the engine felt from inside the cabin.

regfootball    253

when i drove one (and it's in my reviews in the review section), I liked it to a point but on the whole was not overly impressed or blown away by it. To me really the only reason you do buy this car is diesel (and maybe rear seat space). So mostly I am curious about mpg and gas cost per mile.

Thanks for the review,the styling of the new Jetta has grown on me.

curious of what you think about interior quality, and if there are any rattles or other noises.

Drew Dowdell    5,170

Getting 42 mpg commuting so far...

You can hear it is a diesel, but it is not at all loud. It's just a different sound that some may be unfamiliar with. After you've accelerated, it doesn't sound any different than a gasser.

The Passat feels much lighter than it should for its size. It is one of the biggest mid-sizers you can buy, but out on the road it doesn't feel it at all.

Drew Dowdell    5,170

Something that hit me today when I was driving home. I was happy that VW gave me such a new and clean vehicle and everything is nice and tight from the factory as should be for a car with 1,944 miles..... only ... this Passat isn't a 1944.7 mile car like I originally thought it was... it's a 19447 mile car. For a car with just about 20k miles on it, this thing is tight and solid. It had me completely fooled on the mileage.

dfelt    1,875

Something that hit me today when I was driving home. I was happy that VW gave me such a new and clean vehicle and everything is nice and tight from the factory as should be for a car with 1,944 miles..... only ... this Passat isn't a 1944.7 mile car like I originally thought it was... it's a 19447 mile car. For a car with just about 20k miles on it, this thing is tight and solid. It had me completely fooled on the mileage.

That is very good to hear, tight and like new is what buyers want to hear.

This is really good to hear!

Drew Dowdell    5,170

We're going to have two quick contests on this one.

Price is Right style: Guess my fuel economy for the weekend and win a $10 fuel gift card.

Tonight, I'm driving from Pittsburgh to Ann Arbor - Guess my fuel economy to the nearest 10th of a gallon without going over to win.

Monday night I'm driving from upper-mid-state Michigan back to Pittsburgh.

Same deal.

Label your guesses as "Monday:" and "Friday:" You can submit your guess for both. We will have a thread in about an hour for you to put your guesses in.

Guest Jwbouch   
Guest Jwbouch

I have been looking into the Passat TDi SE, and I have found somethig strange. It appears (and I'm hoping I'm just missing something) that you cannot get a TDi with sunroof AND 6 speed manual transmission. The manual transmission is more engaging to drive and also gets an additional 1/3 mpg city/highway. And by looking for the best mpg for a commuter car, that is a gain I'm interested in taking advantage of, buy not sure if I could survive without my sunroof!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      A few weeks ago, we reported that Volkswagen wasn't planning to bring the T-Roc over to the U.S. No reason was given, but we suspected price was a key reason. At the Frankfurt Motor Show, Volkswagen's director of development, Dr. Frank Welsch confirmed the T-Roc isn't coming.
      "Let's be very clear: The T-Roc will not go to the U.S. I don't believe it's too expensive, but it's because it's a very small car. They tell us people in the U.S. expect more size for that money. It is too small. We are going to have an SUV that is even smaller than a T-Roc [the T-Cross] and it will also not go to the U.S., but will go to South America. We have the new Polo and the T-Cross in Brazil, but for North America, this car is also too small," he told Autoblog.
      That doesn't mean Volkswagen isn't planning something smaller than the Tiguan for the U.S. Welsch explained the company is working on a new model for China that will launch late next year. The model will around the size of the Tiguan Limited and feature gas and plug-in hybrid powertrains. There is talk about this vehicle coming to the U.S.
      "We are checking the feasibility of a car which is right between T-Roc and Tiguan, and this could be interesting for America," Welsch said.
      "In the U.S., you have Tiguan long wheelbase, and the other [new] one is close to what we have here in Europe as the Tiguan SWB. It's a little bit smaller than that, about the size of the old Tiguan, but new and it's off the MQB. This is the idea behind it. In China, we will have this car next year, and we are thinking whether this could be a good idea for America and Russia."
      Source: Autoblog

View full article
    • By William Maley
      A few weeks ago, we reported that Volkswagen wasn't planning to bring the T-Roc over to the U.S. No reason was given, but we suspected price was a key reason. At the Frankfurt Motor Show, Volkswagen's director of development, Dr. Frank Welsch confirmed the T-Roc isn't coming.
      "Let's be very clear: The T-Roc will not go to the U.S. I don't believe it's too expensive, but it's because it's a very small car. They tell us people in the U.S. expect more size for that money. It is too small. We are going to have an SUV that is even smaller than a T-Roc [the T-Cross] and it will also not go to the U.S., but will go to South America. We have the new Polo and the T-Cross in Brazil, but for North America, this car is also too small," he told Autoblog.
      That doesn't mean Volkswagen isn't planning something smaller than the Tiguan for the U.S. Welsch explained the company is working on a new model for China that will launch late next year. The model will around the size of the Tiguan Limited and feature gas and plug-in hybrid powertrains. There is talk about this vehicle coming to the U.S.
      "We are checking the feasibility of a car which is right between T-Roc and Tiguan, and this could be interesting for America," Welsch said.
      "In the U.S., you have Tiguan long wheelbase, and the other [new] one is close to what we have here in Europe as the Tiguan SWB. It's a little bit smaller than that, about the size of the old Tiguan, but new and it's off the MQB. This is the idea behind it. In China, we will have this car next year, and we are thinking whether this could be a good idea for America and Russia."
      Source: Autoblog
    • By William Maley
      Another auto show season is upon us with the Frankfurt Motor Show this week. Before the doors open at the show tomorrow, Volkswagen is holding their group day preview event where the various brands roll out their debuts.
      For Volkswagen, the big debut is the I.D. Crozz II Concept. Volkswagen has made some slight changes for concept since its first showing at the Shanghai Auto Show back in the spring. The front end features a new headlight design that kind of looks like an eye. The two-tone paint comprised of red and sliver helps make the concept pop. One area that may confuse some folks are the doors. The front are hinged conventionally while the rear are sliding.
      A pair of electric motors - each mounted on an axle - are projected to produce a total output of 302 horsepower. Range stands at 311 miles (500 Kilometers). 
      Volkswagen says the production version of the I.D. Crozz will go into production in 2020 along with the regular I.D. Rumor has it that the Crozz will be the first I.D. model we see in the U.S.
      Source: Volkswagen
      Press Release is on Page 2

Volkswagen Group Night at the IAA 2017: Volkswagen brand presents the new I.D. CROZZ
      Volkswagen CEO Dr Herbert Diess: "The Volkswagen Brand will be investing 6 billion euros in electric mobility over the next five years." Further developed zero emission SUV concept vehicle offers a look forward to the production model of 2020 The countdown has begun for a breakthrough in electric mobility, and 2020 could represent the turning point. That is because the Volkswagen brand is accelerating into this new era by developing a new generation of innovative electric vehicles – the I.D.2, I.D. BUZZ3 and I.D.CROZZ. Dr Herbert Diess, Chairman of the Volkswagen Brand Board of Management, had this to say at the Volkswagen Group Night: "The Volkswagen Brand will be investing 6 billion euros in electric mobility over the next five years. Our task is to make modern technology available to many people. This is especially important in times of technological transformation. One thing is clear: The Golf of the future must once again be a people's car!"
      Traditionally, Volkswagen hosts a Group Night event on the evening before the International Motor Show (IAA) opens in Frankfurt, at which it presents its innovative new products. On this occasion, the Volkswagen brand is presenting the new I.D. CROZZ in a world premiere. The further developed electric concept vehicle is part of the electric campaign in which Volkswagen will be expanding its electric car model range – initially with three models from 2020. In 2025 the Volkswagen Brand will already be offering 23 all-electric models.
      The new I.D. CROZZ is a crossover of an SUV and a four-door coupé, which has been further improved towards a production implementation. This can be seen, for instance, in various design changes to the front and rear ends of the concept car that is painted in 'Hibiscus Red Metallic'. The I.D. CROZZ makes a powerful and masculine impression with its wide bonnet, cleanly contoured wings and roof with a high-gloss black exterior finish. The striking design of the LEDs of the headlights also point the way towards production and generate an unmistakable light graphic.
      The interior has also been re-equipped and further developed – as an Open Space – with a superior amount of space and highly versatile seating concept. B-pillars were omitted in the I.D. CROZZ, so that the large swinging and sliding doors can be opened wide, and it is even possible to transport a crossbike without any trouble.
      Always ensuring a supply of clean air in the interior, regardless of ambient conditions, is the CleanAir system that has been newly developed by Volkswagen. The menu provides information on the quality of the air in the car and on the system's current activity. In addition, the updated I.D. CROZZ is equipped with a new voice assistant, which enables opening and closing of the doors via voice command. It is also possible to activate or deactivate the fully automated driving mode 'I.D. Pilot' by voice instruction.
      The I.D. CROZZ is a sporty, zero-emission all-round vehicle that is designed to be interactive, and whose electric 4MOTION all-wheel drive system is as impressive on unpaved trails as it is in adverse weather conditions. One electric motor works at the front axle and one at the rear, and torque distribution is controlled via an 'electric propshaft'. The driving range of the SUV that outputs 225 kW (system power) and boasts a top speed of 180 km/h is up to 500 kilometres (NEDC) on one battery charge. The high-performance battery can be charged to 80% of its energy capacity in 30 minutes using a fast-charging system.
      An ideal weight distribution between the two axles is achieved by centrally integrating the battery within the I.D. CROZZ and having the two drive system units at the front and rear. This enables the new I.D. CROZZ to demonstrate handling characteristics on a par with those of a Golf GTI. Playing a significant role here are the running gear with electronically controlled dampers, a new multi-link rear suspension design and also newly developed MacPherson struts.
      The future generation of the I.D. family will extend the Volkswagen model range. In 2020, Volkswagen will already launch the compact, all-electric, four-door I.D. in the Golf segment, while launching the modern I.D. CROZZ in the SUV segment. In addition, the I.D. BUZZ – a re-interpretation of the legendary Volkswagen Bulli – will enter the market in 2022. All three I.D. concept cars share the new 'all-electric architecture' that was developed as a common platform and a completely new and avant-garde design. Other characteristics are zero-emission driving ranges up to 600 kilometres, a large amount of space, compact exterior dimensions and digitalisation of all displays and controls. In addition, the new and innovative 'vw.OS' operating system, which enables fast software updates and upgrades, will support each member of the I.D. family – in a way similar to the usual updating methods for smartphones.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Another auto show season is upon us with the Frankfurt Motor Show this week. Before the doors open at the show tomorrow, Volkswagen is holding their group day preview event where the various brands roll out their debuts.
      For Volkswagen, the big debut is the I.D. Crozz II Concept. Volkswagen has made some slight changes for concept since its first showing at the Shanghai Auto Show back in the spring. The front end features a new headlight design that kind of looks like an eye. The two-tone paint comprised of red and sliver helps make the concept pop. One area that may confuse some folks are the doors. The front are hinged conventionally while the rear are sliding.
      A pair of electric motors - each mounted on an axle - are projected to produce a total output of 302 horsepower. Range stands at 311 miles (500 Kilometers). 
      Volkswagen says the production version of the I.D. Crozz will go into production in 2020 along with the regular I.D. Rumor has it that the Crozz will be the first I.D. model we see in the U.S.
      Source: Volkswagen
      Press Release is on Page 2

Volkswagen Group Night at the IAA 2017: Volkswagen brand presents the new I.D. CROZZ
      Volkswagen CEO Dr Herbert Diess: "The Volkswagen Brand will be investing 6 billion euros in electric mobility over the next five years." Further developed zero emission SUV concept vehicle offers a look forward to the production model of 2020 The countdown has begun for a breakthrough in electric mobility, and 2020 could represent the turning point. That is because the Volkswagen brand is accelerating into this new era by developing a new generation of innovative electric vehicles – the I.D.2, I.D. BUZZ3 and I.D.CROZZ. Dr Herbert Diess, Chairman of the Volkswagen Brand Board of Management, had this to say at the Volkswagen Group Night: "The Volkswagen Brand will be investing 6 billion euros in electric mobility over the next five years. Our task is to make modern technology available to many people. This is especially important in times of technological transformation. One thing is clear: The Golf of the future must once again be a people's car!"
      Traditionally, Volkswagen hosts a Group Night event on the evening before the International Motor Show (IAA) opens in Frankfurt, at which it presents its innovative new products. On this occasion, the Volkswagen brand is presenting the new I.D. CROZZ in a world premiere. The further developed electric concept vehicle is part of the electric campaign in which Volkswagen will be expanding its electric car model range – initially with three models from 2020. In 2025 the Volkswagen Brand will already be offering 23 all-electric models.
      The new I.D. CROZZ is a crossover of an SUV and a four-door coupé, which has been further improved towards a production implementation. This can be seen, for instance, in various design changes to the front and rear ends of the concept car that is painted in 'Hibiscus Red Metallic'. The I.D. CROZZ makes a powerful and masculine impression with its wide bonnet, cleanly contoured wings and roof with a high-gloss black exterior finish. The striking design of the LEDs of the headlights also point the way towards production and generate an unmistakable light graphic.
      The interior has also been re-equipped and further developed – as an Open Space – with a superior amount of space and highly versatile seating concept. B-pillars were omitted in the I.D. CROZZ, so that the large swinging and sliding doors can be opened wide, and it is even possible to transport a crossbike without any trouble.
      Always ensuring a supply of clean air in the interior, regardless of ambient conditions, is the CleanAir system that has been newly developed by Volkswagen. The menu provides information on the quality of the air in the car and on the system's current activity. In addition, the updated I.D. CROZZ is equipped with a new voice assistant, which enables opening and closing of the doors via voice command. It is also possible to activate or deactivate the fully automated driving mode 'I.D. Pilot' by voice instruction.
      The I.D. CROZZ is a sporty, zero-emission all-round vehicle that is designed to be interactive, and whose electric 4MOTION all-wheel drive system is as impressive on unpaved trails as it is in adverse weather conditions. One electric motor works at the front axle and one at the rear, and torque distribution is controlled via an 'electric propshaft'. The driving range of the SUV that outputs 225 kW (system power) and boasts a top speed of 180 km/h is up to 500 kilometres (NEDC) on one battery charge. The high-performance battery can be charged to 80% of its energy capacity in 30 minutes using a fast-charging system.
      An ideal weight distribution between the two axles is achieved by centrally integrating the battery within the I.D. CROZZ and having the two drive system units at the front and rear. This enables the new I.D. CROZZ to demonstrate handling characteristics on a par with those of a Golf GTI. Playing a significant role here are the running gear with electronically controlled dampers, a new multi-link rear suspension design and also newly developed MacPherson struts.
      The future generation of the I.D. family will extend the Volkswagen model range. In 2020, Volkswagen will already launch the compact, all-electric, four-door I.D. in the Golf segment, while launching the modern I.D. CROZZ in the SUV segment. In addition, the I.D. BUZZ – a re-interpretation of the legendary Volkswagen Bulli – will enter the market in 2022. All three I.D. concept cars share the new 'all-electric architecture' that was developed as a common platform and a completely new and avant-garde design. Other characteristics are zero-emission driving ranges up to 600 kilometres, a large amount of space, compact exterior dimensions and digitalisation of all displays and controls. In addition, the new and innovative 'vw.OS' operating system, which enables fast software updates and upgrades, will support each member of the I.D. family – in a way similar to the usual updating methods for smartphones.
    • By William Maley
      China is the latest country to investigate possibly ending the sale of gas and diesel vehicles.
      According to the state's Xinhua News Agency, deputy industry minister Xin Guobin told an auto industry forum over the weekend has started "research on formulating a timetable to stop production and sales of traditional energy vehicles."
      “Some countries have made a timeline for when to stop the production and sales of traditional fuel cars,” said Guobin.
      “The ministry has also started relevant research and will make such a timeline with relevant departments. Those measures will certainly bring profound changes for our car industry’s development.”
      This move is not really surprising when you take into consideration China's major cities have suffered from extreme air pollution. Some of this comes down vehicle emissions. But there are also various industrial sites using coal and other fuels that provide a fair amount of pollution. Both local and national governments have been working on ways to help cut back on pollution. One of those ways is China requiring automakers to have 20 percent of new car sales by 2025 be made up of hybrid and electric vehicles.
      Both France and Great Britain have announced plans to halt sales of new gas and diesel powered vehicles by 2040.
      Source: Associated Press, Reuters

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)