GNX Twin Six V12 702 Cubic Inch 275 HP 2400 RPM

hyperv6

gmcv121960gmcv12702cid.jpg

How many here remember this one or even knew they built this engine. I ran into one of these at work this week as guys are now using them for hot rods and pick up trucks.

This was based on a the old GMC V6 bit it was a original casting for the block. It shared some parts from the V6 but it was a very limited and special engine.

I was suprised how many people I know that never heard of this.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/the-gmc-twin-six-v12-702-cubes-275-hp-at-2400-rpm-630-ft-lbs-at-1600-rpm/

I think it's better known that most believe.

'Original casting for the block' : there's no other way to build it.

I find many never knew and many when they did know think they just joined the V6 engine if they even knew about the old V6. Car people today are not historians and often know are care little about the past. That does not suprise me as most have no idea about out past american history let alone who their elected senator is or what he has done. They feel that is what Google is for.

Their first mistake is to not know things and ours is to assume they do.

Edited by hyperv6

The truck people I know that are aware of this engine, mostly non-GM/GMC people, mostly assume that two V6 engines were bolted together instead of being cast as all one block. Otherwise, I feel most are not aware of this engine.

This is what I found from people outside the GM fish bowl.

Lot of truck fans (not just GM) and hot rodders are aware of the Twin-Six. The issue is they are extemely heavy and theres no aftermarket support, which limits their appeal immensely. GM didnt build many and they are very rare today - all which adds to it being largely 'forgotten' today. A few people have messed with them, but the best feature of a built motor isnt the power, its the 'Gee whiz' factor of having a V12.

The 'bolt 2 blocks together' myth mystifies me, as its impossible without advanced engineering & fabrication, if at all. Frankly, I believe it actually is impossible, but I wont go that far and say that.

Well many people were not connected to the large trucks and did not know then as many do not know today. Unless you have hands on work with the old large V6 many are shocked today to see them and think it is a 348 or 409 till they see the size and the plugs in the intake manifold.

You are one like many here that have feen close to these kinds of engines and topics when the average Joe has never seen one or even heard of it.

As for the two blocks joined the look of the engine is obvious to why they think that. The average person is not an engineer and see the 4 valve covers, 2 intakes and 4 exhaust manifolds. They assume based on what they see. Also in the history of some of the limited or one off engines that have been made some have had cranks and blocks joined. Now mind you it's far from a good idea but limitations in funding on some projects will do this. I have seen several Small Bock Chevys joined that were up and running but they were mostly for limite running in show cars.

The point is some think it is easy and a good idea to join blocks and when it looks like two engine it just damn will must be two engines. The bottom line is they should never assume.

These V12 engines have provised some cool effects for street rods and the Blastoline special. They are reliable and make an impression and that is what show cars are all about. Sure you could put a Turbo V6 in a rod with tons of power but most of these cars are for the wow factor and the big engines stand out.