William Maley

Dodge News: Rumorpile: Dodge Preparing A Refresh Of The Durango?

By William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

February 18, 2013

Mopar-enthusiast site Allpar reports Dodge is readying a refresh of the Durango that will begin production in May.

The refresh will include redesigned front and rear ends, a revised interior layout with new controls and a digital instrument panel, and a new eight-speed transmission across the engine lineup.

The refreshed Durango is expected to arrive at dealers in late June.

Source: Allpar

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Click here to view the article

Interesting...I thought the Durango was getting phased out since Jeep was getting a Wagoneer.

It most likely will, but the Wagoneer is still a few years off. It was the right time to give the Durango a refresh to keep it competitive.

I do wonder what Jeep w/ do for a Wagoneer...since the current Durango and GC are very similar from the rear, they could just put the GC front clip on the Durango, give it a GC interior, and call it a day..

Killing off the Durango is the wrong thing, they messed up when they went from Generation 1 of the Durango to Frankenstein Durango Generation 2 full size and went down with quality. My daughter is still driving her 99 Durango saving money to buy a new Durango once the new engine / Tranny line up comes out. This should help gas mileage and with a new refreshed exterior and interior make it even more desireable. I see this as a solid cash flow product line and do not see it being killed off even when the wagoneer comes out. Just another eveolutionary change. The Durango fills a very nice mid size SUV niche that people are paying good money for. Why kill a cash cow?

Killing off the Durango is the wrong thing, they messed up when they went from Generation 1 of the Durango to Frankenstein Durango Generation 2 full size and went down with quality. My daughter is still driving her 99 Durango saving money to buy a new Durango once the new engine / Tranny line up comes out. This should help gas mileage and with a new refreshed exterior and interior make it even more desireable. I see this as a solid cash flow product line and do not see it being killed off even when the wagoneer comes out. Just another eveolutionary change. The Durango fills a very nice mid size SUV niche that people are paying good money for. Why kill a cash cow?

Didn't Sergio state that he is doing away with duplicated models? I thought the biggest difference besides styling between the Durango and Grand Cherokee was the 3rd row in the Durango. If the Wagoneer will have a 3rd row, and potential more sales over a Dodge version, why would they keep the Durango (based on Sergio's comment)?

I will also say that I never understood why the Durango remained with "Dodge" and didn't get put into the "RAM" lineup? If I'm not mistaken, the current Explorer is linked more to the truck side of Ford than the car side, correct? Then it would have made more sense to keep Durango with the RAM side of business. Maybe killing it off focuses Dodge on the car end, RAM on the truck end, and Jeep on the SUV/Crossover end?

I will also say that I never understood why the Durango remained with "Dodge" and didn't get put into the "RAM" lineup? If I'm not mistaken, the current Explorer is linked more to the truck side of Ford than the car side, correct? Then it would have made more sense to keep Durango with the RAM side of business. Maybe killing it off focuses Dodge on the car end, RAM on the truck end, and Jeep on the SUV/Crossover end?

No, the current Explorer is a FWD/AWD CUV, nothing truck about it. Ram is strictly truck and (commercial) van, Jeep is SUV and CUV, and Dodge is car only sounds like the long term strategy that Fiat is pushing towards...

No, the current Explorer is a FWD/AWD CUV, nothing truck about it. Ram is strictly truck and (commercial) van, Jeep is SUV and CUV, and Dodge is car only sounds like the long term strategy that Fiat is pushing towards...

Yet people like my daughter who loves the looks and design of the Dodge Durango yet find the Jeep DNA repulsive. So then they just kiss off the hundred of thousands who supported dodge? If the durango had stayed body on frame, I could see it going into the Ram family, but as a UniBody, this SUV/CUV is fine in the Dodge family.

I suspect the dodge dealers will not be too happy about loosing out to Ford and GM with only selling cars and no SUV's/CUV's.

I suspect the dodge dealers will not be too happy about loosing out to Ford and GM with only selling cars and no SUV's/CUV's.

Dodge/RAM/Chrysler/Jeep combo dealerships are all I see in NJ & PA. I'm assuming other states have the same set-up too?

Besides the Grand Caravan/Town & Country and Durango, what other SUVs/CUVs are sold in the Dodge/Chrysler brand? The funny thing about the Durango = Dodge comment, the Grand Caravan in commercial form (RAM C/V) is sold in the RAM brand, so I can see the Durango belonging there (RAM) more than Dodge. I don't care if it's unibody or body-on-frame, if it's trying to be a truck (SUV) then it should be sold with the truck brand (just my opinion).

I can see Dodge & Chrysler covering the car end, RAM covering the truck and commerical end, and Jeep handling all SUVs/CUVs. Doesn't mean it's right or best, but it at least sets the brands up for what they are. And it fits with Sergio's no more duplicated vehicles comment (though I don't know how Dodge & Chrysler are going to work that part out).

All I see here in AZ are combined Dodge/Ram/Chrysler/Jeep dealers...maybe in small towns there are standalone Dodge dealers, but my impression is they are consolidating. As far as other CUVs, Dodge had the Nitro and Journey, but I think those are OOP now..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Today's Birthdays

1. rawenerg
      rawenerg
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Last night, a member of the Corvette Forum posted CAD images of what is purported to be the mid-engine Corvette. Those images would disappear later in the night, but not before someone saved them and uploaded them to imgur. 
      Judging by the quality of images, we're guessing someone used their smartphone to take pictures of a computer screen. The images show off the engine and what looks like to be the sub structure. One of the members on the site, firebirdfan has an excellent breakdown of the images. Here are some of the more interesting details.
      No more transverse leaf spring, replaced by coils. Fancy shocks (can't really tell if they are magnetorheological or spool-valve) Engine appears to be an LT1 (no forced induction) A beefy transaxle (firebirdfan believes it could be for the automatic) The question arises of whether these images are the real deal or not. We're somewhat doubtful they could be fake considering how much effort would need to put in to create drawings like this. But they could be an old design and Corvette engineers made some changes for the production model.
      We'll keep you posted.
      Source: Corvette Forum, 2
      Image Credit: ZERV on Corvette Fourm via etbaumga on imgur

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Last night, a member of the Corvette Forum posted CAD images of what is purported to be the mid-engine Corvette. Those images would disappear later in the night, but not before someone saved them and uploaded them to imgur. 
      Judging by the quality of images, we're guessing someone used their smartphone to take pictures of a computer screen. The images show off the engine and what looks like to be the sub structure. One of the members on the site, firebirdfan has an excellent breakdown of the images. Here are some of the more interesting details.
      No more transverse leaf spring, replaced by coils. Fancy shocks (can't really tell if they are magnetorheological or spool-valve) Engine appears to be an LT1 (no forced induction) A beefy transaxle (firebirdfan believes it could be for the automatic) The question arises of whether these images are the real deal or not. We're somewhat doubtful they could be fake considering how much effort would need to put in to create drawings like this. But they could be an old design and Corvette engineers made some changes for the production model.
      We'll keep you posted.
      Source: Corvette Forum, 2
      Image Credit: ZERV on Corvette Fourm via etbaumga on imgur
    • By William Maley
      A new report from Automotive News says that Ford is planning to end North American production of the Fusion sedan at the end of this decades. According to sources, the automaker has begun to notify suppliers that it will not produce the next-generation Fusion at their Hermosillo, Mexico plant. Suppliers have also been told that Ford will stop producing the Mondeo (Fusion in other markets) at their Valencia, Spain plant.
      This is further complicated by a report from Reuters saying the company is consolidating production to a plant in China. Ford has since denied this report.
      “We have no plans to export the next-generation Fusion/Mondeo from China to North America and Europe. Fusion/Mondeo are an important part of the Ford car lineup. We will have more information to share about the next Fusion/Mondeo at a later date,” the company said in a statement.
      A spokesman declined to comment when asked if Ford would stop selling Fusion in the U.S., replace it with another vehicle, or build it elsewhere.
      Previously, Ford executives have said that the shift from cars to crossovers/SUVs will be permanent. Back in October, the company announced that it would be cutting back on the number of car nameplate it offers, but wouldn't go into details. Ford has already ended production of the C-Max Energi and plans on ending the C-Max Hybrid sometime next year. The Fiesta and Taurus are reportedly on the chopping block as well.
      What does the future hold for the Fusion? At the moment, it is tough to say.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Reuters
    • By William Maley
      A new report from Automotive News says that Ford is planning to end North American production of the Fusion sedan at the end of this decades. According to sources, the automaker has begun to notify suppliers that it will not produce the next-generation Fusion at their Hermosillo, Mexico plant. Suppliers have also been told that Ford will stop producing the Mondeo (Fusion in other markets) at their Valencia, Spain plant.
      This is further complicated by a report from Reuters saying the company is consolidating production to a plant in China. Ford has since denied this report.
      “We have no plans to export the next-generation Fusion/Mondeo from China to North America and Europe. Fusion/Mondeo are an important part of the Ford car lineup. We will have more information to share about the next Fusion/Mondeo at a later date,” the company said in a statement.
      A spokesman declined to comment when asked if Ford would stop selling Fusion in the U.S., replace it with another vehicle, or build it elsewhere.
      Previously, Ford executives have said that the shift from cars to crossovers/SUVs will be permanent. Back in October, the company announced that it would be cutting back on the number of car nameplate it offers, but wouldn't go into details. Ford has already ended production of the C-Max Energi and plans on ending the C-Max Hybrid sometime next year. The Fiesta and Taurus are reportedly on the chopping block as well.
      What does the future hold for the Fusion? At the moment, it is tough to say.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Reuters

View full article
    • By William Maley
      General Motors had a field day when Ford switched from metal to aluminum for their truck beds. The company ran a series of ads showing how their metal beds could stand up to the rigors of a pickup truck's life compared to the Ford's. So it seems slightly ironic that GM is planning to use a lightweight material for their next-generation truck beds.
      The Wall Street Journal and Automotive News have learned from sources that GM is planning to use carbon fiber in their full-size pickup beds. According to one source, carbon fiber will be part of a mix of different materials, including aluminum. The move makes sense as stricter fuel economy regulations come into effect. Finding ways to cut down on weight is a good way to boost fuel economy.
      There is a big issue with carbon fiber, price. The material is very expensive to produce due to the long, labor-intensive process. The Journal reports that at first, the beds would be used on the premium versions of the trucks (High Country and Denali). It would trickle down to lower trims as "more efficient production processes" come online.
      The new beds are expected to debut within the next two years.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Wall Street Journal (Subscription Required)
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook