William Maley

Dodge News: Rumorpile: Dodge Preparing A Refresh Of The Durango?

10 posts in this topic

William Maley    394

By William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

February 18, 2013

Mopar-enthusiast site Allpar reports Dodge is readying a refresh of the Durango that will begin production in May.

The refresh will include redesigned front and rear ends, a revised interior layout with new controls and a digital instrument panel, and a new eight-speed transmission across the engine lineup.

The refreshed Durango is expected to arrive at dealers in late June.

Source: Allpar

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Click here to view the article

William Maley    394

Interesting...I thought the Durango was getting phased out since Jeep was getting a Wagoneer.

It most likely will, but the Wagoneer is still a few years off. It was the right time to give the Durango a refresh to keep it competitive.

I do wonder what Jeep w/ do for a Wagoneer...since the current Durango and GC are very similar from the rear, they could just put the GC front clip on the Durango, give it a GC interior, and call it a day..

dfelt    1,777

Killing off the Durango is the wrong thing, they messed up when they went from Generation 1 of the Durango to Frankenstein Durango Generation 2 full size and went down with quality. My daughter is still driving her 99 Durango saving money to buy a new Durango once the new engine / Tranny line up comes out. This should help gas mileage and with a new refreshed exterior and interior make it even more desireable. I see this as a solid cash flow product line and do not see it being killed off even when the wagoneer comes out. Just another eveolutionary change. The Durango fills a very nice mid size SUV niche that people are paying good money for. Why kill a cash cow?

GMTruckGuy74    228

Killing off the Durango is the wrong thing, they messed up when they went from Generation 1 of the Durango to Frankenstein Durango Generation 2 full size and went down with quality. My daughter is still driving her 99 Durango saving money to buy a new Durango once the new engine / Tranny line up comes out. This should help gas mileage and with a new refreshed exterior and interior make it even more desireable. I see this as a solid cash flow product line and do not see it being killed off even when the wagoneer comes out. Just another eveolutionary change. The Durango fills a very nice mid size SUV niche that people are paying good money for. Why kill a cash cow?

Didn't Sergio state that he is doing away with duplicated models? I thought the biggest difference besides styling between the Durango and Grand Cherokee was the 3rd row in the Durango. If the Wagoneer will have a 3rd row, and potential more sales over a Dodge version, why would they keep the Durango (based on Sergio's comment)?

I will also say that I never understood why the Durango remained with "Dodge" and didn't get put into the "RAM" lineup? If I'm not mistaken, the current Explorer is linked more to the truck side of Ford than the car side, correct? Then it would have made more sense to keep Durango with the RAM side of business. Maybe killing it off focuses Dodge on the car end, RAM on the truck end, and Jeep on the SUV/Crossover end?

I will also say that I never understood why the Durango remained with "Dodge" and didn't get put into the "RAM" lineup? If I'm not mistaken, the current Explorer is linked more to the truck side of Ford than the car side, correct? Then it would have made more sense to keep Durango with the RAM side of business. Maybe killing it off focuses Dodge on the car end, RAM on the truck end, and Jeep on the SUV/Crossover end?

No, the current Explorer is a FWD/AWD CUV, nothing truck about it. Ram is strictly truck and (commercial) van, Jeep is SUV and CUV, and Dodge is car only sounds like the long term strategy that Fiat is pushing towards...

dfelt    1,777

No, the current Explorer is a FWD/AWD CUV, nothing truck about it. Ram is strictly truck and (commercial) van, Jeep is SUV and CUV, and Dodge is car only sounds like the long term strategy that Fiat is pushing towards...

Yet people like my daughter who loves the looks and design of the Dodge Durango yet find the Jeep DNA repulsive. So then they just kiss off the hundred of thousands who supported dodge? If the durango had stayed body on frame, I could see it going into the Ram family, but as a UniBody, this SUV/CUV is fine in the Dodge family.

I suspect the dodge dealers will not be too happy about loosing out to Ford and GM with only selling cars and no SUV's/CUV's.

GMTruckGuy74    228

I suspect the dodge dealers will not be too happy about loosing out to Ford and GM with only selling cars and no SUV's/CUV's.

Dodge/RAM/Chrysler/Jeep combo dealerships are all I see in NJ & PA. I'm assuming other states have the same set-up too?

Besides the Grand Caravan/Town & Country and Durango, what other SUVs/CUVs are sold in the Dodge/Chrysler brand? The funny thing about the Durango = Dodge comment, the Grand Caravan in commercial form (RAM C/V) is sold in the RAM brand, so I can see the Durango belonging there (RAM) more than Dodge. I don't care if it's unibody or body-on-frame, if it's trying to be a truck (SUV) then it should be sold with the truck brand (just my opinion).

I can see Dodge & Chrysler covering the car end, RAM covering the truck and commerical end, and Jeep handling all SUVs/CUVs. Doesn't mean it's right or best, but it at least sets the brands up for what they are. And it fits with Sergio's no more duplicated vehicles comment (though I don't know how Dodge & Chrysler are going to work that part out).

All I see here in AZ are combined Dodge/Ram/Chrysler/Jeep dealers...maybe in small towns there are standalone Dodge dealers, but my impression is they are consolidating. As far as other CUVs, Dodge had the Nitro and Journey, but I think those are OOP now..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Sometimes, you find yourself scratching your head as you struggle to think if any more can be said about a vehicle. The two vehicles seen here, the 2017 Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee have been reviewed by me numerous times - Durango has two, while the Grand Cherokee stands at three. Not much has changed on either vehicle since I last reviewed them. This puts me in a bit of quandary: What do I talk about? The answer was to delve into the trims themselves and figure out if they are worth the cash.
      The Grand Cherokee seen here is the top-line Summit. Jeep updated this trim last year with new front end treatment consisting of a new grille and LED fog lights. The exterior changes for the Summit do sharpen up the Grand Cherokee, a design which should be noted that has been around since 2011. One design touch we really like are the set optional 20-inch aluminum wheels as they dress up the Grand Cherokee quite nicely. The larger wheels don’t affect ride quality as the Grand Cherokee’s suspension turns bumps into light ripples. Road and wind noise are kept to very acceptable levels.
      The interior now has the option of the “Signature Leather-Wrapped Interior Package” that brings a leather covering for the dash and center console, and premium leather upholstery for the seats and door panels. My test vehicle came with this package and I am not sure its worth the $4,995. The key reason comes down to the leather used for the seats. I can’t tell the difference between the leather upholstery used for this package and the one used on lesser trims. Aside from this, the Summit retains many of the plus points found on other Grand Cherokees such as a roomy interior, simple infotainment system, and excellent build quality. 
      The Summit begins at $50,495 for two-wheel drive and $53,495 for four-wheel drive. Our test vehicle came to an as-tested price of $60,675 with the leather package, skid plates, and 20-inch wheels. The upside to the Summit is you get most everything as standard such as navigation, premium audio system, sunroof, heated and ventilated front seats, and a power liftgate. Personally, I would skip all of the options as fitted to our test vehicle and get a base Summit.
      Now on to the Durango. This one is the GT which can be best described as the R/T minus the V8. This means you get similar exterior tweaks such as a body color grille surround, black mesh inserts, LED daytime running lights, and 20-inch wheels finished in black. Our model came with the Brass Monkey appearance package which adds brushed bronze wheels and blacked-out badges. This makes for a mean looking crossover that doesn’t break the bank - the Brass Monkey package will only set you back $595. The GT is also quite confident in the bends with minimal body roll and nicely weighted steering. 
      Downsides? The Durango is starting to show its age inside. Various materials and the plain design put the Durango towards the back of the pack of the current crossover crop. Also, the value equation for the Durango can go downward with the number of options you add. The test Durango seen here comes with an as-tested of $49,660 with most the option boxes ticked. Not an absurd amount for a three-row crossover, but the Durango is missing out on features that many models feature such as adaptive cruise control, automatic braking, and compatibility for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
      You may have noticed that I haven’t mentioned the powertrain. That’s because both models feature the same 3.6L Pentastar V6 producing 295 horsepower and paired with an eight-speed automatic. I have written a lot about this powertrain on both models before and my opinion hasn’t changed. The engine offers strong low-end power and minimal NVH levels. The automatic transmission, for the most part, does a decent job of being in the right gear at the right time. Though we found the transmission to be somewhat slow to respond whenever heavy throttle was suddenly applied. Fuel economy for both models landed around 20 mpg.
      Both the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango are still competitive in their respective classes, despite getting up there in age. Just be careful with your option selection as it can make both models very poor values.
      Disclaimer: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Provided the Vehicles, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017
      Make: Dodge
      Model: Durango
      Trim: GT
      Engine: 3.6L 24-Valve VVT with ESS
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 295 @ 6,400
      Torque @ RPM: 260 @ 4,000
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 18/25/21
      Curb Weight: 4,987 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Detroit, Michigan
      Base Price: $40,095
      As Tested Price: $49,660 (Includes $1,095 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Premium Group - $2,395
      Rear Entertainment System- $1,995
      Safety/Security and Convenience Group - $1,195
      Second-Row Captain Chairs - $995
      Trailer Tow Group IV - $995
      Brass Monkey Appearance Group - $595
      Second-Row Console - $300
      Make: Jeep
      Model: Grand Cherokee
      Trim: Summit
      Engine: 3.6L 24-Valve VVT with ESS
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 295 @ 6,400
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 18/25/21
      Curb Weight: 4,952 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Detroit, Michigan
      Base Price: $53,995
      As Tested Price: $60,675 (Includes $995 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Signature Leather-Wrapped Interior Package - $4,995
      Summit California Edition - $995
      Skid Plate Group - $295

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Sometimes, you find yourself scratching your head as you struggle to think if any more can be said about a vehicle. The two vehicles seen here, the 2017 Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee have been reviewed by me numerous times - Durango has two, while the Grand Cherokee stands at three. Not much has changed on either vehicle since I last reviewed them. This puts me in a bit of quandary: What do I talk about? The answer was to delve into the trims themselves and figure out if they are worth the cash.
      The Grand Cherokee seen here is the top-line Summit. Jeep updated this trim last year with new front end treatment consisting of a new grille and LED fog lights. The exterior changes for the Summit do sharpen up the Grand Cherokee, a design which should be noted that has been around since 2011. One design touch we really like are the set optional 20-inch aluminum wheels as they dress up the Grand Cherokee quite nicely. The larger wheels don’t affect ride quality as the Grand Cherokee’s suspension turns bumps into light ripples. Road and wind noise are kept to very acceptable levels.
      The interior now has the option of the “Signature Leather-Wrapped Interior Package” that brings a leather covering for the dash and center console, and premium leather upholstery for the seats and door panels. My test vehicle came with this package and I am not sure its worth the $4,995. The key reason comes down to the leather used for the seats. I can’t tell the difference between the leather upholstery used for this package and the one used on lesser trims. Aside from this, the Summit retains many of the plus points found on other Grand Cherokees such as a roomy interior, simple infotainment system, and excellent build quality. 
      The Summit begins at $50,495 for two-wheel drive and $53,495 for four-wheel drive. Our test vehicle came to an as-tested price of $60,675 with the leather package, skid plates, and 20-inch wheels. The upside to the Summit is you get most everything as standard such as navigation, premium audio system, sunroof, heated and ventilated front seats, and a power liftgate. Personally, I would skip all of the options as fitted to our test vehicle and get a base Summit.
      Now on to the Durango. This one is the GT which can be best described as the R/T minus the V8. This means you get similar exterior tweaks such as a body color grille surround, black mesh inserts, LED daytime running lights, and 20-inch wheels finished in black. Our model came with the Brass Monkey appearance package which adds brushed bronze wheels and blacked-out badges. This makes for a mean looking crossover that doesn’t break the bank - the Brass Monkey package will only set you back $595. The GT is also quite confident in the bends with minimal body roll and nicely weighted steering. 
      Downsides? The Durango is starting to show its age inside. Various materials and the plain design put the Durango towards the back of the pack of the current crossover crop. Also, the value equation for the Durango can go downward with the number of options you add. The test Durango seen here comes with an as-tested of $49,660 with most the option boxes ticked. Not an absurd amount for a three-row crossover, but the Durango is missing out on features that many models feature such as adaptive cruise control, automatic braking, and compatibility for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
      You may have noticed that I haven’t mentioned the powertrain. That’s because both models feature the same 3.6L Pentastar V6 producing 295 horsepower and paired with an eight-speed automatic. I have written a lot about this powertrain on both models before and my opinion hasn’t changed. The engine offers strong low-end power and minimal NVH levels. The automatic transmission, for the most part, does a decent job of being in the right gear at the right time. Though we found the transmission to be somewhat slow to respond whenever heavy throttle was suddenly applied. Fuel economy for both models landed around 20 mpg.
      Both the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango are still competitive in their respective classes, despite getting up there in age. Just be careful with your option selection as it can make both models very poor values.
      Disclaimer: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Provided the Vehicles, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Make: Dodge
      Model: Durango
      Trim: GT
      Engine: 3.6L 24-Valve VVT with ESS
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 295 @ 6,400
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 18/25/21
      Curb Weight: 4,987 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Detroit, Michigan
      Base Price: $40,095
      As Tested Price: $49,660 (Includes $1,095 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Premium Group - $2,395
      Rear Entertainment System- $1,995
      Safety/Security and Convenience Group - $1,195
      Second-Row Captain Chairs - $995
      Trailer Tow Group IV - $995
      Brass Monkey Appearance Group - $595
      Second-Row Console - $300
      Make: Jeep
      Model: Grand Cherokee
      Trim: Summit
      Engine: 3.6L 24-Valve VVT with ESS
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 295 @ 6,400
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 18/25/21
      Curb Weight: 4,952 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Detroit, Michigan
      Base Price: $53,995
      As Tested Price: $60,675 (Includes $995 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Signature Leather-Wrapped Interior Package - $4,995
      Summit California Edition - $995
      Skid Plate Group - $295
    • By William Maley
      Volkswagen has shown three different I.D. concepts - I.D. hatchback, I.D. Buzz, and the I.D. Crozz. We know that Volkswagen is working on making the hatchback production ready by 2020 and the Buzz has been given the green light. What about the Crozz? According to a report from Autoblog, the Crozz will follow the hatchback in production - arriving in either late 2020 or 2021 - and will be the first I.D. model to arrive on our shores.
      The I.D. Crozz which made its debut earlier this year at the Shanghai Motor Show is Volkswagen's vision of an electric crossover. Using Volkswagen's MEB platform, the I.D. Crozz produces 302 horsepower from two electric motors. On-demand all-wheel drive is done through single-speed, fixed-ratio gearboxes fitted between each electric motor and its respective axle.
      Volkswagen's decision on sending the I.D. Crozz to the U.S. first makes a lot of sense as buyers are crossover hungry.
      The two sources also dropped some information on the I.D. Buzz which conflicts with earlier reports. First, the sources said the Buzz been confirmed for production - the opposite of what reported back in June where Volkswagen's Herbert Diess slyly dropped that it would go into production. If approved, the model would likely go into production in 2025.
      We recommend checking out Autoblog's report as there are more details on what to possibly expect with the Crozz.
      Source: Autoblog

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)