Update on my 2012 Charger R/T

2QuickZ's

Well, I'm not going to give a full write up or anything but I thought I'd throw a few thoughts/comments out there on my first ever new Chrysler product. I really wanted a V6/8-speed car due to my daily commute but got too good of a deal on the R/T to pass it up. Now that I have it, I'm glad I got the Hemi. :) Here are my thoughts:

1) It gets much better gas mileage than I expected. When I bought it, I was hoping for steady 17+ mpg since my 50 mile per day round trip commute is 44 miles of surface streets with traffic lights (albeit fairly well timed). For the 8k miles I have put on it, I'd say it has averaged closer to 19 mpg and since I just got it in October, that means most of that was in cold weather. It should only get better in the warmer months.

2) My wife HATES the passenger seat lumbar support. She thinks it is way too aggressive. For those I have given rides in it, I'd say it is roughly a 50/50 proposition on the comfort of that seat. If you get cloth seats (no adjustable lumbar on passenger side) and you are frequently going to have a passenger, you may want to have them check that seat out first to see if they like it. It may make you decide to upgrade to the leather since it includes an adjustable lumbar support for the passenger.

3) It did WAY better than expected in the crappy, snowy Michigan weather. I actually am amazed at how well this thing did in the snow, especially since mine has the 20" wheels. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the Firestone Firehawk GT tires that came with the wheel package. I definitely recommend those tires to anybody considering. The traction and stability control both do their job quite well, though.

4) The 8.4" touchscreen is very intuitive and easy to use. I am hooked now and this is coming from someone that still uses a "dumb" phone. It responds immediately and the voice recognition works MUCH better than the Sync in my wife's Flex. It is rare that I ever have to repeat a command. I also love being able to set favorite songs/artists with the sat radio. This feature may be standard these days but my 2007 Saab 9-5 did not have that feature or if it did, I didn't know it.

5) I really wish I had gotten the rear backup camera and blind spot alert. It is a big car, with big blind spots and a high rear deck. The blind spots are more of a problem than the backing up. I wanted both of those features but I leased mine after the '13's had come out so I had to get what I could find on the lot. If I had to do it again, I'd definitely get those features.

6) If they ever get the 8 speed tranny mated up to the Hemi, it is going to be friggin sweet!

If anybody has any questions, feel free to ask.