William Maley

BMW News: Rumorpile: BMW Working On Model S Competitor

Tesla, the electric car startup in California has put the automotive industry on notice with the Model S. With impressive range and the model stealing sales from luxury makers, automakers are wondering how best to compete with the Model S. Car Magazine learned about what BMW has planned.

Known internally as F18, the new model will utilize a long-wheelbase version of the next-generation 5-Series sedan. The next-generation 5-Series will be one the first models to use a new modular platform known as Cluster Architecture (CLAR) which will underpin models from the 3 to 7-Series. The new architecture will allow F18 - or as Car calls it the i5/i7 - to share many components such as suspension, steering, and brakes from the 5-Series.

Power will come front two electric motors and a four-cylinder engine. Total output is expected to be around 400kw - about 536 horsepower. As for design, the report says it could be a mixture of 6-Series Gran Coupe and the next-generation 7-Series.

Now the model is expected to come out in 2018. This date makes sense as that will be the time when the U.S.' CAFE regulation that 4.5 percent of vehicles sold must be a zero emission vehicle goes into affect.

Source: Car Magazine

View full article

OK, but the motor is more a take on BMW realizing they need to sell against the VOLT than Tesla. Tesla is pure electric no motor as a generator.

I believe in my heart that politics aside, GM could easily build a superior Tesla type auto under the Cadillac logo.

So BMW already shares the platform between the 5 & 7 (stretched), not sure how a "stretched 5-series platform" ISN'T a "7", but OK….

… but now BMW is proposing using the same chassis under the 3, 4, 5, 6, AND 7?? Career General Motors bashers are going to be eating a TON of crow on THIS parts-binning of a (for some) hallowed brand!

Not to mention, but………. The current 7-series is the same stylistically as the last 3 or 4 generations, (also; a complete snoozefest), so the next gen is so very likely to be a continuation of the same old, same old.

This has 'dud' written all over it.

Makes ya wonder if they will use the I8 Ugly body on it or what.

Have only seen 2 i3's so far, but I see Teslas just about daily. An 'i3-ified 7-series' would be a real hoot.

Amazing the company (Tesla) still isn't close to turning a profit- maybe they should constrain their market to NJ. 

Have only seen 2 i3's so far, but I see Teslas just about daily. An 'i3-ified 7-series' would be a real hoot.

Amazing the company (Tesla) still isn't close to turning a profit- maybe they should constrain their market to NJ. 

Heck you see Teslas daily here in Seattle also. I actually am seeing less BMW but about the same MB and a clear increase in Tesla.

Another amazing car that I absolutely cannot wait to get my hands on! This car looks astounding and I think it'll be a true competitor once it comes out in 2018. Does anyone know the MSRP of this vehicle?

This would be interesting. But I think BMW it's rushing a bit with this rumored model, but I tink it remains to be seen. The i8 seems to e a great car but I heard that its owers complain about it's range even though BMW said something else when they promoted this car. I hope that with this model they will fix some of the problems of the i8, but I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed to read that the will use a 5-series to create a new car. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Last year, the final Dodge Viper rolled down the Conner Avenue assembly line. The vehicle would once again enter the history books as one of the maddest sports cars. But a new report says the Viper will be making a comeback, albeit with some major changes.
      Car and Driver has posted their '25 Cars Worth Waiting For: 2019–2022' piece and the Dodge Viper is on the list. The new model will retain its front-engine, rear-drive layout and spaceframe with independent suspensions front and rear. Extensive use of aluminum and carbon fiber will help keep weight down. 
      One disappointment for Viper fans is the new model not having a V10. Instead, FCA is developing a new aluminum-block V8. A 550 horsepower naturally-aspirated version will serve as the base, with a more potent 700 horsepower supercharged variant to follow. A manual transmission of some sort is expected.
      Car and Driver predict that Dodge will show off the Viper at next year's Detroit Auto Show - which marks the 30th anniversary of the introduction of the original Viper. Production is expected to begin in late 2020 beginning with the convertible. The coupe is expected to follow a few years later.
      Car and Driver is quite confident, going as far to say "trust us: A new Viper is happening." We need some more evidence and possibly some spy photos before we hop aboard this train.
      Source: Car and Driver

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Last year, the final Dodge Viper rolled down the Conner Avenue assembly line. The vehicle would once again enter the history books as one of the maddest sports cars. But a new report says the Viper will be making a comeback, albeit with some major changes.
      Car and Driver has posted their '25 Cars Worth Waiting For: 2019–2022' piece and the Dodge Viper is on the list. The new model will retain its front-engine, rear-drive layout and spaceframe with independent suspensions front and rear. Extensive use of aluminum and carbon fiber will help keep weight down. 
      One disappointment for Viper fans is the new model not having a V10. Instead, FCA is developing a new aluminum-block V8. A 550 horsepower naturally-aspirated version will serve as the base, with a more potent 700 horsepower supercharged variant to follow. A manual transmission of some sort is expected.
      Car and Driver predict that Dodge will show off the Viper at next year's Detroit Auto Show - which marks the 30th anniversary of the introduction of the original Viper. Production is expected to begin in late 2020 beginning with the convertible. The coupe is expected to follow a few years later.
      Car and Driver is quite confident, going as far to say "trust us: A new Viper is happening." We need some more evidence and possibly some spy photos before we hop aboard this train.
      Source: Car and Driver
    • By dfelt
      Hits Keep Coming for Tesla 3
      Edmunds two years ago put down a $1,000 deposit for the Tesla 3 and bought a $56,000 configured Tesla 3. This car to date has only been able to rack up 5,257 miles in 4 months due a very long list of problems and multiple service calls for what many call cutting edge EV.  The goal was to rack up at least 1,700 miles a month in the Tesla 3, so 6,800 miles in 4 months yet the EV is sidelined again awaiting a service call. Edmunds has confirmed that the Tesla 3 met and at other times surpassed the EPA rating for the car. The list of issues is so long that they have a google doc to just keep track of them all.
      Most common issues is the annoying and repeated uncontrollable increase in stereo volume even when your not in the car to maximum sound. This is just a small issue compared to the keycards not being recognized, touch screen freeze up and interior parts falling off the car such as the vanity mirror, which has been fixed and yet still seems to fall off when you open it.
      As the story continues, after the last service call where numerous issues were fixed, they then left to go on a drive and had the auto lock them out of being able to shift into drive or reverse until the auto rebooted and powered up. This along with a message that the car is in limited regenerative braking mode and the message that the car cannot maintain vehicle power and may stop or shutdown.
      There are a few highlights in regards to storage space and speed, but the pictures are funny. Currently this long term drive test auto is leaving anything but a positive experience for Edmunds.
      Edmonds Story
  • My Clubs