• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

William Maley

BMW News: Rumorpile: BMW Working On Model S Competitor

Tesla, the electric car startup in California has put the automotive industry on notice with the Model S. With impressive range and the model stealing sales from luxury makers, automakers are wondering how best to compete with the Model S. Car Magazine learned about what BMW has planned.

Known internally as F18, the new model will utilize a long-wheelbase version of the next-generation 5-Series sedan. The next-generation 5-Series will be one the first models to use a new modular platform known as Cluster Architecture (CLAR) which will underpin models from the 3 to 7-Series. The new architecture will allow F18 - or as Car calls it the i5/i7 - to share many components such as suspension, steering, and brakes from the 5-Series.

Power will come front two electric motors and a four-cylinder engine. Total output is expected to be around 400kw - about 536 horsepower. As for design, the report says it could be a mixture of 6-Series Gran Coupe and the next-generation 7-Series.

Now the model is expected to come out in 2018. This date makes sense as that will be the time when the U.S.' CAFE regulation that 4.5 percent of vehicles sold must be a zero emission vehicle goes into affect.

Source: Car Magazine

View full article

OK, but the motor is more a take on BMW realizing they need to sell against the VOLT than Tesla. Tesla is pure electric no motor as a generator.

I believe in my heart that politics aside, GM could easily build a superior Tesla type auto under the Cadillac logo.

So BMW already shares the platform between the 5 & 7 (stretched), not sure how a "stretched 5-series platform" ISN'T a "7", but OK….

… but now BMW is proposing using the same chassis under the 3, 4, 5, 6, AND 7?? Career General Motors bashers are going to be eating a TON of crow on THIS parts-binning of a (for some) hallowed brand!

Not to mention, but………. The current 7-series is the same stylistically as the last 3 or 4 generations, (also; a complete snoozefest), so the next gen is so very likely to be a continuation of the same old, same old.

This has 'dud' written all over it.

Makes ya wonder if they will use the I8 Ugly body on it or what.

Have only seen 2 i3's so far, but I see Teslas just about daily. An 'i3-ified 7-series' would be a real hoot.

Amazing the company (Tesla) still isn't close to turning a profit- maybe they should constrain their market to NJ. 

Have only seen 2 i3's so far, but I see Teslas just about daily. An 'i3-ified 7-series' would be a real hoot.

Amazing the company (Tesla) still isn't close to turning a profit- maybe they should constrain their market to NJ. 

Heck you see Teslas daily here in Seattle also. I actually am seeing less BMW but about the same MB and a clear increase in Tesla.

Another amazing car that I absolutely cannot wait to get my hands on! This car looks astounding and I think it'll be a true competitor once it comes out in 2018. Does anyone know the MSRP of this vehicle?

This would be interesting. But I think BMW it's rushing a bit with this rumored model, but I tink it remains to be seen. The i8 seems to e a great car but I heard that its owers complain about it's range even though BMW said something else when they promoted this car. I hope that with this model they will fix some of the problems of the i8, but I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed to read that the will use a 5-series to create a new car. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      There have been some rumors floating around for the past couple of years that BMW was planning to offer a 3-Series with a fully electric powertrain. Some new spy shots reveal that may come to fruition.
      At first glance, this looks like a normal 3-Series sedan. But on the front doors, there is a label that reads "Electric Test Vehicle". BMW has also tried to disguise the fact this is an electric by attaching tailpipes, but the spy photographer says its a pure EV.
      Not much is known about the electric powertrain or batteries. This mule was seen testing with a Tesla Model 3, suggesting that BMW sees it a direct competitor to the 3-Series EV. To do that, the model would need a range of over 200 miles. But sources at BMW tell Motor Trend that the range could be as close to 300 miles.
      We do know the next 3-Series will transition the CLAR platform that uses a combination of steel, aluminum, and carbon fiber. It also looks like that the design will not change that much from the current model.
      The next 3-Series is expected to debut at the Paris Motor Show in October. Whether we see the EV version is unclear.
      Source: Motor Trend

View full article
    • By William Maley
      There have been some rumors floating around for the past couple of years that BMW was planning to offer a 3-Series with a fully electric powertrain. Some new spy shots reveal that may come to fruition.
      At first glance, this looks like a normal 3-Series sedan. But on the front doors, there is a label that reads "Electric Test Vehicle". BMW has also tried to disguise the fact this is an electric by attaching tailpipes, but the spy photographer says its a pure EV.
      Not much is known about the electric powertrain or batteries. This mule was seen testing with a Tesla Model 3, suggesting that BMW sees it a direct competitor to the 3-Series EV. To do that, the model would need a range of over 200 miles. But sources at BMW tell Motor Trend that the range could be as close to 300 miles.
      We do know the next 3-Series will transition the CLAR platform that uses a combination of steel, aluminum, and carbon fiber. It also looks like that the design will not change that much from the current model.
      The next 3-Series is expected to debut at the Paris Motor Show in October. Whether we see the EV version is unclear.
      Source: Motor Trend
    • By William Maley
      Last Tuesday, Tesla CEO Elon Musk tweeted out that he was considering taking the automaker private and had "secured" funding. Since then, the question of who is providing the funding has been left unanswered. Today, Musk wrote up a blog post that provides some insight.
      The post reveals that Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund is responsible for the possible funding of Tesla's move to private. In the last two years, representatives of the fund have met with Musk and discussed possibly taking the company off the market. The most recent meeting was on July 31st, after the fund bought an almost 5 percent stake.
      "During the meeting, the Managing Director of the fund expressed regret that I had not moved forward previously on a going private transaction with them, and he strongly expressed his support for funding a going private transaction for Tesla at this time. I understood from him that no other decision makers were needed and that they were eager to proceed," Musk wrote.
      "I left the July 31st meeting with no question that a deal with the Saudi sovereign fund could be closed, and that it was just a matter of getting the process moving. This is why I referred to “funding secured” in the August 7th announcement."
      The board was notified about Musk's intentions to take Tesla private on August 2nd. From there, the board held a meeting (minus Musk and his brother Kimbal, who is also a board member) to discuss this possibility. Musk also planned to speak to the company's largest shareholders about the possible move.
      Towards the end of the post, Musk said he is continuing "to communicate with the Managing Director of the Saudi fund," and that "he has expressed support for proceeding subject to financial and other due diligence and their internal review process for obtaining approvals."
      But there is one big question that is unanswered; did Musk secure the funding when he made that tweet or not? As we reported last week, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) is looking into whether or not Musk was lying about the funding. 
      If Musk was able to get the funding, it will be quite awhile before Tesla can become private. Per the blog post, the board needs to put together a plan that it can agree upon. From there, shareholders will vote on the plan. If approved, Tesla can start on the next steps.
      Source: Tesla

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Last Tuesday, Tesla CEO Elon Musk tweeted out that he was considering taking the automaker private and had "secured" funding. Since then, the question of who is providing the funding has been left unanswered. Today, Musk wrote up a blog post that provides some insight.
      The post reveals that Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund is responsible for the possible funding of Tesla's move to private. In the last two years, representatives of the fund have met with Musk and discussed possibly taking the company off the market. The most recent meeting was on July 31st, after the fund bought an almost 5 percent stake.
      "During the meeting, the Managing Director of the fund expressed regret that I had not moved forward previously on a going private transaction with them, and he strongly expressed his support for funding a going private transaction for Tesla at this time. I understood from him that no other decision makers were needed and that they were eager to proceed," Musk wrote.
      "I left the July 31st meeting with no question that a deal with the Saudi sovereign fund could be closed, and that it was just a matter of getting the process moving. This is why I referred to “funding secured” in the August 7th announcement."
      The board was notified about Musk's intentions to take Tesla private on August 2nd. From there, the board held a meeting (minus Musk and his brother Kimbal, who is also a board member) to discuss this possibility. Musk also planned to speak to the company's largest shareholders about the possible move.
      Towards the end of the post, Musk said he is continuing "to communicate with the Managing Director of the Saudi fund," and that "he has expressed support for proceeding subject to financial and other due diligence and their internal review process for obtaining approvals."
      But there is one big question that is unanswered; did Musk secure the funding when he made that tweet or not? As we reported last week, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) is looking into whether or not Musk was lying about the funding. 
      If Musk was able to get the funding, it will be quite awhile before Tesla can become private. Per the blog post, the board needs to put together a plan that it can agree upon. From there, shareholders will vote on the plan. If approved, Tesla can start on the next steps.
      Source: Tesla
    • By William Maley
      Everyone seemed to lose their mind when Tesla CEO Elon Musk tweeted out Tuesday that he was considering taking the company private. For a time, the NASDAQ had to halt trading of Tesla stock because of massive fluctuations in the share price. The reasoning behind this move made sense as it would allow the company to focus on the long-term. But this tweet has also brought some unattended problems.
      Reuters has learned from sources at Tesla that the board of directors is seeking more information from him as to how the buyout will be financed. As we reported yesterday, the board has talked about this idea for some time. But a source reveals that it hasn't gotten either a detailed plan from Musk, nor any information as to who will provide the funding.
      Both Reuters and CNBC are reporting that the board will make a decision on whether or not to do a formal review of Musk's proposal in the coming days. It also plans to speak with financial advisers about explore this proposal.
      Sources tell CNBC that the board will ask Musk to recuse himself from the review process of his proposal. He'll need to hire his own advisers for a review.
      There is another twist in this story. Musk has talked to Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund about a take-private deal, according to a source. This is likely due to the Saudi's Public Investment Fund buying between a 3 to 5 percent stake in the automaker, worth about $2 billion that was brought to light this week.
      Tesla's board isn't the only group interested in Musk's plan. Last night, the Wall Street Journal reported that the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) is inquiring whether or not Musk was telling the truth when said that he had secured funding for the buyout. Under U.S. law, companies and officials cannot give misleading information about events to shareholders.
      It is unclear whether or not this will cause an investigation be opened or not. A SEC spokesman declined to comment.
      Musk could also be in trouble if the SEC find evidence that his tweet was aimed at increasing the company's share price.
      We'll keep you posted if anything new breaks.
      Source: Wall Street Journal (Subscription Required), Reuters, CNBC

View full article
  • My Clubs