Well, here is my first post, an introduction.  I have an avid interest in cars, thanks to my husband of 27 years.  I picked up a lot of first-hand knowledge by being his right-hand helper.  We currently own a 1957 Cadillac.  It has been quite the experience to restore this vehicle, while maintaining the integrity of the original features.  Our latest project involves the restoration of the interior by Fleetwood.  Unfortunately, we could not save the front seat backrest.  On a good note, we saved all of the backseat and the door-skins looks great. I look forward to "meeting" other antique car owners.  At the same time, I find it fascinating to learn about the new vehicles coming on the market.  Thanks for reading my intro and have a great day!

Welcome 57caddy, this is a great place as most of us have our projects and love to learn and debate the new auto industry changes. Will look forward to reading and discussing with you on the threads.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!  I will gather some pictures to share.  I love the contrast of the before and after, but wished we had taken more.  Oh well, live and learn.

I must say, I really like the fins on the 59 Buick Invicta.

I look forward to getting into some of the discussions on all of our projects (current and past), along with debating what is coming out in the market.

I got to say being a native of Michigan, Detroit and its roots in the automotive business is dear to my heart.

My grandfather and father were both in the auto repair and painting biz for years, and my great grandfather was an automotive upholstery guy in Detroit, until the depression hit.  Then moved to Kalamazoo and worked for Yellow Cab until retirement.

What manufacturer did your G-GF work for (or was he in an upholstery shop)?

You know, I often wondered if he worked on his own or for a manufacturer.  I even went back and looked up old census records, but only listed his profession for those years, not a name of a company.  Too bad, I could never find out.  My grandmother (now deceased) did not like to talk about those times back in Pontiac, MI too much, due to the hardship of the depression.  I think she saw to much tragedy, she would say people lost it all, and those stories about people jumping out of the window were true.  I do know the family (huge!) was proud of his upholstery skills.  They talked more about these skills when he worked for Yellow Cab.  Do you have a connection to this area, a particular manufacturer, or  and profession?

I don't; no. Spent a year in school in Detroit, and am a chronic vintage nut/ car researcher… but no direct connection.

Many city library systems archive old city directories. Even without phone numbers, these were 'people directories'; I've looked at a few from 1900-1915 and they had the person's employer's names in them (these were from WI, not MI). Worth a shot.

• Agree 1