Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

The Sunday Column - March 29, 2015

Sometimes, it's good to put things into perspective.

Case in point: Last week I had the good fortune of riding in my friend Craig's 36 Ford sedan. This is a project that he has been working for the past few years and for the most part it's finish - just some slight paintwork and a few other odds and ends. Sitting in this car was a throwback. An example was the seats - they felt springy and cushy, not firm and supportive like modern cars. The dash is just painted metal with a set of dials and knobs. Your only source of ventilation? Opening the windows or lifting a latch behind the hood. If you want the access the trunk? Lift up the back seat.

As for the ride itself, it felt like a normal car - somewhat at least. Power came from a flathead V8 and was able to keep up with traffic. A three-speed manual helped get the power to the road. But you had to careful with shifting as one wrong move and you'll end up with a crunch. (gear synchros were non-existent). Ride-wise? It was pretty comfortable, but you'll end up in another area code as body roll is very evident. Stabilizer bars were not a thing till the 40's.

So why do I tell this story? Well for the reason as I stated above. Cars have improved so much since the 36 Ford. They are safer, have more equipment, and are better on fuel. But also some things haven't changes. Vehicles then and now still boast a engine that run on some form of fossil fuel, pack engines as large as eight-cylinders, have four tires, and much more. Its interesting to see how far we have come, but also how much has stayed the same.

Other items from the week:

• This week saw Jeremy Clarkson get booted from the BBC from his kerfuffle. This was the right idea considering Clarkson's past incidents and what BBC learned in a investigation.
    • Not surprisingly, Richard Hammond and James May are expected to leave as well.
    • Rumors have begun flying of a number of networks and even Netflix about hiring Clarkson. (Oh boy..)
    • The BBC itself announced that it would continue with Top Gear. However I think this will end being a flop for one reason. Top Gear = Jeremy Clarkson. Clarkson = Top Gear.
    • I'll leave the whole Jeremy Clarkson mess with this. Check out John Krewson's piece on Road & Track about Clarkson. Sums up my feelings in a way that is brilliant.

[*]General Motors could be in huge trouble if a Bankruptcy judge reverses a decision on the clause of that no one could file lawsuit on vehicles built before 2009 due to the company's bankruptcy.

• This could open GM to $10 billion in potential liability over this ignition switch mess.
    • Many are waiting for the judge to make a decision of whether or not a number lawsuits can be filled for lost value.

[*]This week is the New York Auto Show, and the end of auto show season for another year.

• The lineup of debuts appears to be very solid with the likes of Cadillac, Chevrolet, Honda, and Scion showing off some important vehicles.

View full article

Good Sunday column, particularly the part of the 1936 Ford vs. new cars.

I know I'm crazy, but ... I still prefer older cars.  *shrugs*

As for Jeremy & Top Gear ... I'll bite my tongue.

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"It's just a matter of time" __ TG Sheppard __ 'Somewhere Down The Line'

Top Gear was fun in the early years but have not watched it the last 3+ years as it was just not that entertaining any longer.

If the courts overturn what has been pretty standard in Bankruptcy and allows the new GM to have lawsuits filed against it over the ignition switch issue, then GM needs to go back to all the Executives and recover all the money they paid out to every executive down to mgmt that had a hand in this and take all bonuses and salary. They failed and do not deserve to keep their money if GM has to deal with this since it was on their watch that these idiots including the bean counters made these decisions.

Excited for the NY Auto show. :)

Good Sunday column, particularly the part of the 1936 Ford vs. new cars.

I know I'm crazy, but ... I still prefer older cars.  *shrugs*

As for Jeremy & Top Gear ... I'll bite my tongue.

"It's just a matter of time" __ TG Sheppard __ 'Somewhere Down The Line'

I don't think you're crazy Cort. Just have different tastes, that's all.

I don't think you're crazy Cort. Just have different tastes, that's all.

Ha ... thank you for that, WM!  Different tastes, indeed.

But, as for being crazy, I think the last 3 years, particularly the last year or so, really has made me FEEL crazy ... & not in a good way.  Irony rocks. ;)

"Things have changed since you've been gone" __ Pam Tillis __ 'Land Of The Living'
  • Agree 1

If the judge reverses that bankruptcy thing, there are other issues out there brewing aside from the ignition switch recall that could hurt GM.

This also could set a HUGE precedent for lawyers going after other auto companies also. This is just bad and wrong in so many ways. I cannot believe the idiots are willing to consider this.

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings