Suggestions on Sway Bar and Links

One of the stabilizer links on my Malibu is going bad. There's an intermittent rattle/knocking noise from the front right suspension that sounds very much like my girlfriend's Cobalt when her link needed to be replaced (it's actually the same damn GM part), except mine's behind 5x more sound deadening so it was hard to pinpoint.

Anyway, I'm going to replace the sway bar links as a pair, along with the bushings, and I found Moog replacements (part K80252) that are extremely highly rated that also appear to be an improvement over the factory design.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QR12NG/ref=s9_simh_gw_p263_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0NTTYKQDN1DN0G70SD6Q&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

At the same time, since I was going to have the suspension work being done anyway, I was curious about upgrading the sway bar itself. There isn't an aftermarket performance part, however there's a solid forged steel OE replacement by Dorman, which in other models (like the W-body cars) has shown to be a serious upgrade over the hollow GM factory piece.

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-927-111-Sway-Bar-Kit/dp/B00HFLA1N8/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0XFK8ECC9HYTMMJN2048

I can't find diddly squat as far as specifications or even pics of the GM part, but the part no. is GM 20841711 and it's supposedly 22 mm thick.

Yay or nay on the Moog links?

Is Dorman a decent brand, or should I shut up and keep the stock sway bar? Any input is appreciated. I'm not particularly worried about price, but I'm not trying to just throw money away. It would be awesome to improve my car's handling and reduce body roll.

Edited by cp-the-nerd

Moog or nothing.

Dorman is just your basic OEM replacement of which the quality will be roughly the same as the OEM.  The Moogs are better.

edit: Doh! I just re-read your post.

Get the moog links.  Get a moog swaybar if you can. 

the dorman being solid is an upgrade, but their stuff hasn't impressed me beyond that.

Moog or nothing.

Dorman is just your basic OEM replacement of which the quality will be roughly the same as the OEM.  The Moogs are better.

Just to specify: Dorman was just for the actual sway bar itself. The Moogs are the link replacements and I'm pretty much sold on them already. Not comparing the two brands against each other.

Edited by cp-the-nerd

Moog is probably the best affordable choice for sway bar links. I've gone the really, really, really cheap route before only to have those fail spectacularly. Upgraded to Moogs afterwards... never an issue. As for the sway bar itself, is it bigger in diameter than the stock set-up? Otherwise, if its just OE-spec and unless it truly needs replaced, it's probably not worth the effort.

Moog is probably the best affordable choice for sway bar links. I've gone the really, really, really cheap route before only to have those fail spectacularly. Upgraded to Moogs afterwards... never an issue. As for the sway bar itself, is it bigger in diameter than the stock set-up? Otherwise, if its just OE-spec and unless it truly needs replaced, it's probably not worth the effort.

Doesn't going from hollow to solid make a difference even if diameter doesn't increase?

Doesn't going from hollow to solid make a difference even if diameter doesn't increase?

That's the impression I was getting from reviews. Can't seem to find anyone with an epsilon sedan that switched to a Dorman sway bar for a direct comparison, though.

That's the impression I was getting from reviews. Can't seem to find anyone with an epsilon sedan that switched to a Dorman sway bar for a direct comparison, though.

Depends in the thickness of the rod. Most of the times the difference is negligible. You really can't find any upgraded sway bars whatsoever? 

Depends in the thickness of the rod. Most of the times the difference is negligible. You really can't find any upgraded sway bars whatsoever? 

None. Hell the Dorman is the only readily available replacement AT ALL. I eventually dug up the GM part on a warehouse website, but it's not easy to find by any means, and it was only listed under the Malibu, not the Pontiac or Saturn cousins.

None. Hell the Dorman is the only readily available replacement AT ALL. I eventually dug up the GM part on a warehouse website, but it's not easy to find by any means, and it was only listed under the Malibu, not the Pontiac or Saturn cousins.

Pontiac did make the G6 Coupe with a 3.8L and a 6-spd, did you look for parts fro that model? That would probably be the only thing I could think of. 

• 4 weeks later...

I wound up skipping the Dorman sway bar. The moog stabilizer links are very nice products, though, about twice as thick and much more sturdy looking than the stock parts. Car is driving silently once again. Feels smoother, but I'm pretty sure it's the placebo effect of not hearing the knocking/rattle noise.