Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

VW News: As the Diesel Emits: Volkswagen's Managers Believe It Will Be Awhile Before A Fix Is Approved

Last month, the California Air Resources Board (CARB) rejected Volkswagen's plan to fix the 2.0L TDI because it was "incomplete, substantially deficient and fall far short of meeting the legal requirements to return these vehicles” to compliance. With this setback, many are concerned that it will be awhile before a fix is agreed on by Volkswagen and CARB/EPA.

German magazine Manager Magazin reports that top managers at the German automaker believe an agreement between the three parties might not happen until the end of March. The reason comes down to the EPA wanting to do a long-distance test of Volkswagen's proposed fix to make sure it actually fixes the problem of elevated emission levels.

The report also mentions that expected costs of doing the recall, possible buybacks, and customer compensation will be significantly higher than first thought.

Source: Manager Magazin

View full article

Hey dfelt, This is fairly random, at least for this thread, buuuuuut what's it cost, roughly, to have a 220v outlet installed in a garage? and would it cost twice as much for two or would the price for the second one not really double? 

I've been thinking about the plug-in and full EVs a lot lately and when I build a house or even just move into one I would seriously consider something like an e-Golf or Volt for the majority of my driving. Ideally, If I'm building the house I'd like to supplement some of the electricity with a few solar panels as well but I know I'm not making a ton of money as it is so.. yeah.. I'd have to look into the tax credits for stuff like that real hard. 

Hey dfelt, This is fairly random, at least for this thread, buuuuuut what's it cost, roughly, to have a 220v outlet installed in a garage? and would it cost twice as much for two or would the price for the second one not really double? 

I've been thinking about the plug-in and full EVs a lot lately and when I build a house or even just move into one I would seriously consider something like an e-Golf or Volt for the majority of my driving. Ideally, If I'm building the house I'd like to supplement some of the electricity with a few solar panels as well but I know I'm not making a ton of money as it is so.. yeah.. I'd have to look into the tax credits for stuff like that real hard. 

220V is the same outlet that is used by electric stoves or an electric dryer in your laundry room.

This is a single line from your breaker box to where ever you want this outlet.  Running the line and electrical plug is pretty cheap usually a $300-$500 and then you can use the auto 220V power cord to charge your auto. 

Course you have a wide range of options. You can start with just using the basic 110 outlet to do a slow charge and then look at dedicated with built in conditioner and filter 220V or 440V fast charger for your garage. Most of the fast chargers will run you from $500 to $3000 installed, certified and ready to go. Long term they pay for themselves.

Some places to check out for seeing the variety:

http://www.evsolutions.com/

If your willing to hire your own electrician, then Amazon has some great deals.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=ev+charger&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=3485810303&hvqmt=b&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3dhnnxnw4_b

Here is a good Read on using Solar charging to recharge your EV.

http://www.homepower.com/solar-charging-ev

The ChargePoint web site is awesome as it covers North America, give info on how to get charging at businesses or homes, products, etc.

http://www.chargepoint.com/

Best part is if you click the ChargePoint Home, it gives a great assortment of info on install, Tips for Electricians, datasheets, etc.

Enjoy the info. :)

Found a Level 2 charger from Lilypad EV for $650 for home use. Yes this is a commercial unit but would be a plus to have it at home so you recharge much faster than level 1 chargers.

http://www.lilypadev.com/shop/milbank-charging-station-wall-mount-single-port-208v240vj1772-commercial/

Man, deflt. You have me on an electric kick right now. I wish I was looking to build a home or had a really good way to get actual pricing figures on this stuff(because it can vary so much from house to house and location to location). I mean I can read national averages and stuff but because every city is different the numbers can sway quite a bit in any direction. 

I'd love an electric smaller car for everyday use with a range of 150-200 miles and then something else that burns the coal as either a toy or larger vehicle that doesn't get driven much.I wish the e-Golf had a longer range because that is actually very affordable but with a sub 100 mile range..no thanks yet. 

Man, deflt. You have me on an electric kick right now. I wish I was looking to build a home or had a really good way to get actual pricing figures on this stuff(because it can vary so much from house to house and location to location). I mean I can read national averages and stuff but because every city is different the numbers can sway quite a bit in any direction. 

I'd love an electric smaller car for everyday use with a range of 150-200 miles and then something else that burns the coal as either a toy or larger vehicle that doesn't get driven much.I wish the e-Golf had a longer range because that is actually very affordable but with a sub 100 mile range..no thanks yet. 

I think GM will hit the sweet spot with the BOLT. Here in washington state, all new Homes have to have a 220V 30amp charger in the garage now. Also all apartments have to offer the option for a renter to have access to a charger. It is very easy to go and find charging spots all over. The west coast has made huge strides in building out an electric highway system.

I did a whole story on the Electric Highway West Coast Style.

http://www.cheersandgears.com/topic/84688-electric-highway-west-coast-style/

You can see the maps and check out the updated info. It is expanding all over the US. I truly think it will grow much faster than it took to build gas stations all over.

I think GM will hit the sweet spot with the BOLT. Here in washington state, all new Homes have to have a 220V 30amp charger in the garage now. Also all apartments have to offer the option for a renter to have access to a charger. It is very easy to go and find charging spots all over. The west coast has made huge strides in building out an electric highway system.

You can see the maps and check out the updated info. It is expanding all over the US. I truly think it will grow much faster than it took to build gas stations all over.

Too bad there isn't an infrastructure like that around here. From my house to work(granted I rarely drive but if I had to) is 35 miles and there is no chargers at the parking garage, or a school(that I know of) and there are none other than my house where I live. There is none really on my side of the Mississippi to make it all that practical. It would basically be home or nowhere, for the most part. 

Check the STL area on a EV charging station map..and then look about an hour east and see how little there is in between there and STL.

I would definitely have 2 of the larger 220V chargers in my garage(one on each side - 2 car garage) installed. Not because I exactly plan on owning two electric cars but if I plan on living in the home for 20-30 years then..there will be a lot more electric cars or plug-ins by that time so best to be prepared to save money down the road. 

Too bad there isn't an infrastructure like that around here. From my house to work(granted I rarely drive but if I had to) is 35 miles and there is no chargers at the parking garage, or a school(that I know of) and there are none other than my house where I live. There is none really on my side of the Mississippi to make it all that practical. It would basically be home or nowhere, for the most part. 

Check the STL area on a EV charging station map..and then look about an hour east and see how little there is in between there and STL.

I would definitely have 2 of the larger 220V chargers in my garage(one on each side - 2 car garage) installed. Not because I exactly plan on owning two electric cars but if I plan on living in the home for 20-30 years then..there will be a lot more electric cars or plug-ins by that time so best to be prepared to save money down the road. 

So then check this out,

Here is the site that shows the incentives to install home or business chargers.

http://www.pluginamerica.org/incentives

Nissan has incentives on top of the federal for installing a home charger. It is amazing but you can pretty much get a home charger for free in many states.

http://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/leaf/owner-questions/ev-incentives

Check out the Spark EV, Mini-e, Fiat 500e, Focus E, seems many of the EV auto's have rebates / incentives on top of the federal ones.

So then check this out,

Here is the site that shows the incentives to install home or business chargers.

http://www.pluginamerica.org/incentives

Nissan has incentives on top of the federal for installing a home charger. It is amazing but you can pretty much get a home charger for free in many states.

http://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/leaf/owner-questions/ev-incentives

Check out the Spark EV, Mini-e, Fiat 500e, Focus E, seems many of the EV auto's have rebates / incentives on top of the federal ones.

Oh nice!

"Covers 80% of cost premium or conversion price, with maximum rebate of $4,000." - IL

That would be a HUGE help in setting up a garage. I wonder if that is "per year" or total? Like, if my theoretical garage would cost $10,000 total(completely theoretical numbers) and 80% is $8,000. Clearly above the $4,000 maximum. But if I did one side one year and one side a few years later(let's also say theoretically it splits evenly at 50/50). Could I get the $4,000 each time..? Because I would be converting twice. I would assume the answer is an easy "no".

Good Question, DNK but nothing to say that you could not install a charger 1 year and take $4K, then do the other side of the garage the next year and get another $4K. Would be worth looking into. :P