Suaviloquent

Motortrend Comparison:A Taste of the Popular Midsize Luxury Crossover Offerings

3 posts in this topic

2016-Lexus-RX-350-F-Sport-Lincoln-MKX-AW

We gathered three likely 2016 midsize candidates: the redesigned Lexus RX 350 F Sport, the very originator of the segment itself and the first winner of MT’s SUV of the Year; the Lincoln MKX, a finalist in our 2016 SUV of the Year contest; and an all-new Mercedes-Benz GLC300 that replaces the boxy (and smaller) GLK-Class with handsome styling and a generous helping of the celebrated C-Class sedan’s hardware, interior treatment, and tech.

READ MORE AT:

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-lexus-rx-mercedes-benz-glc-lincoln-mkx-comparison/

This has been up for a while on their site. I'm sure many people have read it.

Interesting results. They also had a post script about the new XT5 and how it might have fared against these 3 cars, though one of them, the GLC seems out of place. The Lexus has poor interior packaging or form over function issues (gasp!), given the Lincoln has a good chunk more cargo space, but is shorter in length.

I did not expect the Lincoln to be an equal in ride sophistication to any Mercedes, given no air suspension, but it was. The interior comments are fair, but I disagree on the comfort of the seats, which again is preference more than anything. Also, the Sync 3 issue is rendered moot. The Lincoln MKX early build vehicles were Sync 2 (MFT), but later 2016 builds were quietly changed to Sync 3. Since the new setup has new hardware, the press vehicle could not be updated to Sync 3.

I think the Lincoln did well, the Mercedes has the edge in terms of interior quality in almost every price and size class. But the RX is pretty good still. I mean, there's a lot to like there, expect the mouse control setup.

We can speculate why the XT5 was not there, but it would've finished mid-pack.

An obvious result, as one of these companies builds the Best or Nothing, the other two dress up Camrys and Fusions.  

Similar price, but the GLC is a small vehicle, it is sized more like the NX250 and MKC.   I guess that would have been feeding the lambs to the the wolves, so they went with the MKX and RX350. 

What is amazing is the MKX Ecoboost with 380 lb-ft of torque could only manage 6.2 0-60 seconds while a 4-cylinder GLC could do it in 6.3 seconds.   I can't wait to see what the GLC43 does, with an extra 100 hp, it has to be in the low 5's.  Plus they have a V8 on the way, I'd like to see Lexus put a V8 in the RX, but they won't ever do that because they are S-A-W-F-T..... Saaaaaaaaaawft.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Toyota Motor North America Reports U.S. Sales for September, First Nine Months of 2017
      TMNA, Toyota and Lexus divisions set new September record for total volume TMNA, Toyota and Lexus divisions set September light truck sales record Toyota RAV4, Highlander post ninth consecutive monthly sales records Lexus NX, GX, and RX post best-ever September PLANO, Texas (October 3, 2017) – Toyota Motor North America (TMNA) Inc., today reported September 2017 sales of 226,632 units. With one more selling day in September 2017 compared to September 2016, sales were up 14.9 percent on a volume basis, and up 10.5 percent on a daily selling rate (DSR) basis. 

For the first nine months of the year, TMNA reported sales of 1,831,479 units. With one more selling day in 2017 compared to 2016, total sales were up 0.1 percent on a DSR basis, and sales were up 0.5 percent on an unadjusted raw-volume basis.

Toyota division posted September 2017 sales of 200,436 units, up 16.9 percent on a volume basis, and up 12.4 percent on a DSR basis.   

“The auto industry showed renewed strength in September, bringing optimism for a third consecutive year with sales topping 17 million new vehicles,” said Jack Hollis, group vice president and general manager, Toyota division. “This month marked our first full-month of sales of the all-new 2018 Camry, outselling last year’s total with a double-digit gain in volume – a testament to the positive reception we are receiving on its bold new styling and TNGA-based performance. Toyota division light trucks continue to lead sales, with September marking a string of eight consecutive monthly sales records, and nine consecutive monthly best-ever sales records for Highlander and RAV4. In fact, RAV4, with more than 42,000 sales this month, marks three consecutive months of more than 40,000 units – an amazing feat!”

Lexus posted June sales of 26,196 units, up 1.5 percent on a volume basis, and down 2.4 percent on a DSR basis. 

“Lexus sales traditionally shift into high gear as we head toward the end of the year, and we are buoyed by three consecutive months of sales momentum as well as our best-ever September,” said Lexus Group Vice President and General Manager Jeff Bracken. “Going forward we have a strong supply of luxury utility vehicles to satisfy customers’ needs through the remainder of 2017.”

September 2017 and First Nine Months Highlights:
      Camry sales of 34,732 units, up 13.1 percent in first full month of sales of all-new 2018 model year Total Toyota division SUV sales up 43.2 percent in September; pickup trucks up 15.8 percent RAV4 gains 44 percent with 42,395 units sold; nine straight monthly sales records Highlander posts sales of 20,359 units; first month to top 20,000 in 2017, and nine straight monthly sales records 4Runner sales of 11,333 units, up 25.1 percent Tacoma and Tundra September sales rise by 14.9 and 17.4 percent respectively Lexus sees fifth consecutive monthly best-ever for LUVs NX up 6.6 percent with September sales of 5,041, seventh consecutive best-ever monthly total GX rises 53 percent; records back-to-back best-ever monthly totals LX up 38.6 percent in September RX sees six percent gain, sets new best-ever monthly total for September *Note:  Unless otherwise stated, all figures reflect unadjusted raw sales volume

• By William Maley
      GM Leads Industry on Strength of Chevrolet and GMC
      Total, Retail, Commercial and Government sales rise on strong truck and crossover demand Best September U.S. retail performance since 2007 DETROIT — General Motors (NYSE: GM) today reported a 12 percent year-over-year increase in total sales in September to 279,397 units, driven by a 17 percent increase at Chevrolet and an 9 percent increase at GMC.
      Crossover deliveries were up 43 percent, trucks were up 10 percent and passenger cars were down 11 percent. Retail deliveries, which accounted for about 80 percent of sales, were up 8 percent for GM’s best September retail performance since 2007. GM’s U.S. retail share is estimated to be up 0.6 percentage points. Commercial and Government deliveries were up 25 percent and 38 percent, respectively. GM has gained U.S. Commercial market share for 14 consecutive months. “Our new crossovers from Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac have been very well-received and Chevrolet had an outstanding month with the Silverado and Colorado,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president of Sales Operations. “We are entering the fourth quarter with strong momentum, great products and a healthy economy.”
      GM Chief Economist Mustafa Mohatarem said all the key U.S. economic indicators point toward continued economic growth and stability. In addition, regions devastated by the recent hurricanes will continue to recover, helping spur new and used vehicle sales.
      “The overall strength of the U.S. economy is the main force driving the market,” he said. “With the U.S. economy strengthening, retail sales should remain strong for the foreseeable future.”
      September Retail Highlights (vs. September 2016 unless noted)
      Chevrolet
      Best September since 2004. Silverado was up 14 percent. Equinox and Traverse, Chevrolet’s newest crossovers, were up 69 percent and 104 percent, respectively, the best September ever for Equinox and the best month ever for Traverse.  Bolt EV had its best month ever with 2,505 retail deliveries and 2,632 total deliveries. Best month ever for Chevrolet electrified vehicles (Bolt EV and Volt), with 3,929 retail deliveries. Trax was up 8 percent for its best September ever. Impala was up 7 percent. Buick
      Enclave, Encore and Envision were up 41 percent, 12 percent and 44 percent, respectively. Encore had its best month ever. Highest ever SUV/crossover mix at 87 percent. LaCrosse ATP up 10 percent year to date. Buick maintained its retail focus with more than a 50 percent reduction in fleet deliveries year to date. GMC
      Terrain was up 66 percent for its best September ever. Overall Denali penetration was 33 percent, the highest monthly rate ever. Denali penetration on Sierra reached 38 percent in September. Year-to-date ATP is highest in GMC history at $43,210. Sierra had the highest ATP in its segment for 12th straight month. Cadillac
      XT5 was up 36 percent. Combined XT5 and SRX deliveries were up 12 percent year to date. Year-to-date ATP was up $260 to $53,748, higher than many German luxury brands Supplemental Data
      U.S. inventory levels are down about 160,000 vehicles in the third quarter. The company’s inventory target is unchanged, which is to end the year with stocks at or below last year’s level of about 850,000 vehicles, with fewer cars and more trucks, crossovers and utilities in the mix. According to JD Power PIN estimates, GM’s September incentive spending as a percent of ATP was 14.6 percent, which reflects special programs that support disaster relief. Year to date, GM’s incentive spend is below its domestic and many Asian competitors.  Year to date, GM has the lowest daily rental mix of any full-line automaker at 8.7 percent of total sales. GM remains committed to decrease daily rental sales by 50,000 units in 2017.
    • By William Maley
      Lexus might not be the first choice when it comes to a compact luxury coupe. But when I drove the RC 350 F-Sport back in 2015, we found it to be a very capable coupe. Aside from the creamsicle paint color, the RC impressed me with distinctive styling, punchy V6, and sharp handling. Two years later, I find myself revisiting the RC - this time with the base 2.0L turbo-four engine. As I would find out during our week, there is a lot to like about the standard RC. But there is one glaring issue that would make me look at a competitor.
      The standard RC’s design somehow balances a handsome shape with extroverted details. The front features the widest version of the spindle grille, slits in the front bumper, and LED lighting under the headlights. Bulging fenders and rounded roofline make the RC stand out from the crowd. There are only two things I would change about this RC. First is the color. The silver paint on our tester makes the RC a bit dull to look at. Something more vibrant such as a red would really help out. We would also swap the 5-spoke, 18-inch wheels for the wheels found on the F-Sport package. The interior hasn’t changed since we last drove the RC and that’s both a good and bad thing. The good is that the RC still has the IS’ dash design which makes the vehicle’s sporting intentions clear. It is easy to find a comfortable position in the front seats thanks to the power adjustments on offer. The bad? It begins with the infotainment system. A 7-inch screen is nestled far back in the dash, making it hard to read at a quick glance. I wished Lexus had upgraded the screen to the 10.2-inch version found in the refreshed IS. The optional Remote Touch system is a bit frustrating to use as you have be very precise when making your selection. One slip of the finger and you’ll end up with a different selection.  Don’t expect to carry passengers in the RC’s backseat as leg room is non-existent. It's better to use it as a place for cargo. What is that glaring issue I mentioned at the beginning? That would be the turbo 2.0L. It produces 241 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. Power delivery can best be described as the engine delivers enough oomph to move the vehicle from a stop, before falling off a cliff. There isn’t that rush of power throughout the rpm band that you would have in another model such as the Cadillac ATS 2.0T. On the upside, the 2.0L turbo in the RC didn’t have the horrendous turbo lag that I experienced in the IS 200t last year. The eight-speed automatic that comes standard on rear-drive models delivers smooth gear changes. I did find myself wishing the gear changes were somewhat quicker when the RC is put into the Sport mode via the drive selector. The standard RC fits the definition of a ‘Gran Tourer’. It may not handle as well as the RC 350 F-Sport in the bends - there is little bit more body roll and the steering isn’t as direct. But most people who drive it will be ok with that as it is ‘just right’. On rough roads, the RC 200t excels as bumps are smoothed over.  Wind noise is mostly nonexistent, while there is a fair amount of road noise coming inside. The 2017 RC 200t begins at $40,155. With a modest amount of options such as navigation, blind spot monitoring, and adaptive cruise control, the as-tested price came to $45,234. The RC 200t is mostly show and not much go. For some folks, that’s all they want. A coupe that stands out in and tells the world to look at me. For others, save up a bit more money and go for the 350. The added performance of the V6 gives the coupe the go it deserves. Disclaimer: Lexus Provided the RC 200t, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017
      Make: Lexus
      Model: RC
      Trim: 200t
      Engine: Turbo 2.0L DOHC 16-valve with Dual VVT-i
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, Rear-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 241 @ 5,800
      Torque @ RPM: 258 @ 1,650-4,400
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 22/32/26
      Curb Weight: 3,737 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Tahara, Aichi, Japan
      Base Price: $40,155
      As Tested Price: $45,234 (Includes $975.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Navigation System - $1,470.00
      Premium Package - $1,240.00
      Dynamic Radar Cruise Control w/Pre-Collison - $500.00
      Illuminated Door Sills - $449.00
      Windshield Deicer and Headlamp Cleaner - $220.00
      Door Edge Guards - $115.00
      All-Weather Floormats - $110.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Lexus might not be the first choice when it comes to a compact luxury coupe. But when I drove the RC 350 F-Sport back in 2015, we found it to be a very capable coupe. Aside from the creamsicle paint color, the RC impressed me with distinctive styling, punchy V6, and sharp handling. Two years later, I find myself revisiting the RC - this time with the base 2.0L turbo-four engine. As I would find out during our week, there is a lot to like about the standard RC. But there is one glaring issue that would make me look at a competitor.
      The standard RC’s design somehow balances a handsome shape with extroverted details. The front features the widest version of the spindle grille, slits in the front bumper, and LED lighting under the headlights. Bulging fenders and rounded roofline make the RC stand out from the crowd. There are only two things I would change about this RC. First is the color. The silver paint on our tester makes the RC a bit dull to look at. Something more vibrant such as a red would really help out. We would also swap the 5-spoke, 18-inch wheels for the wheels found on the F-Sport package. The interior hasn’t changed since we last drove the RC and that’s both a good and bad thing. The good is that the RC still has the IS’ dash design which makes the vehicle’s sporting intentions clear. It is easy to find a comfortable position in the front seats thanks to the power adjustments on offer. The bad? It begins with the infotainment system. A 7-inch screen is nestled far back in the dash, making it hard to read at a quick glance. I wished Lexus had upgraded the screen to the 10.2-inch version found in the refreshed IS. The optional Remote Touch system is a bit frustrating to use as you have be very precise when making your selection. One slip of the finger and you’ll end up with a different selection.  Don’t expect to carry passengers in the RC’s backseat as leg room is non-existent. It's better to use it as a place for cargo. What is that glaring issue I mentioned at the beginning? That would be the turbo 2.0L. It produces 241 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. Power delivery can best be described as the engine delivers enough oomph to move the vehicle from a stop, before falling off a cliff. There isn’t that rush of power throughout the rpm band that you would have in another model such as the Cadillac ATS 2.0T. On the upside, the 2.0L turbo in the RC didn’t have the horrendous turbo lag that I experienced in the IS 200t last year. The eight-speed automatic that comes standard on rear-drive models delivers smooth gear changes. I did find myself wishing the gear changes were somewhat quicker when the RC is put into the Sport mode via the drive selector. The standard RC fits the definition of a ‘Gran Tourer’. It may not handle as well as the RC 350 F-Sport in the bends - there is little bit more body roll and the steering isn’t as direct. But most people who drive it will be ok with that as it is ‘just right’. On rough roads, the RC 200t excels as bumps are smoothed over.  Wind noise is mostly nonexistent, while there is a fair amount of road noise coming inside. The 2017 RC 200t begins at $40,155. With a modest amount of options such as navigation, blind spot monitoring, and adaptive cruise control, the as-tested price came to $45,234. The RC 200t is mostly show and not much go. For some folks, that’s all they want. A coupe that stands out in and tells the world to look at me. For others, save up a bit more money and go for the 350. The added performance of the V6 gives the coupe the go it deserves. Disclaimer: Lexus Provided the RC 200t, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017
      Make: Lexus
      Model: RC
      Trim: 200t
      Engine: Turbo 2.0L DOHC 16-valve with Dual VVT-i
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, Rear-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 241 @ 5,800
      Torque @ RPM: 258 @ 1,650-4,400
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 22/32/26
      Curb Weight: 3,737 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Tahara, Aichi, Japan
      Base Price: $40,155
      As Tested Price: $45,234 (Includes $975.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Navigation System - $1,470.00
      Premium Package - $1,240.00
      Dynamic Radar Cruise Control w/Pre-Collison - $500.00
      Illuminated Door Sills - $449.00
      Windshield Deicer and Headlamp Cleaner - $220.00
      Door Edge Guards - $115.00
      All-Weather Floormats - $110.00
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)