William Maley

Jaguar News: The Jaguar XF Sportbrake Lives and Its Coming To The U.S.

It was back in April of this year that we reported Jaguar was getting out of wagon game citing shrinking sale. But fast forward to the Paris Motor Show and Jaguar has revealed an image of the next XF Sportbrake under some camouflage. Plus, news has come out that the Sportbrake is coming to the U.S. What happened?

Let us go back to our story back in April. Those comments about Jaguar not doing another wagon came from the chief designer, Ian Callum. But Callum tweeted that he was misquoted, saying that they wouldn't do an XE wagon. In May, Auto Express reported that the second-generation XF Sportbrake had been given the green light. Now the picture Jaguar showed off of the new XF Sportbrake doesn't really tell us anything new. It looks like your standard XF with a longer roof. The XF Sportbrake is expected to debut sometime next year.

Now for the U.S. bit. Motor Trend has learned from Joe Eberhardt, president and CEO of Jaguar Land Rover North America that the XF Sportbrake will be coming to the U.S. Unlike other wagons (aside from the new E-Class Wagon) that are lifted up and feature body cladding, Eberhardt said it would be a bonified wagon and share powertrains with the XF sedan.

Source: Auto Express, Motor Trend

View full article

It's not a wagon, it is a low roof sport crossover.  If they call it a crossover they will sell 1 million units.

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

It's not a wagon, it is a low roof sport crossover.  If they call it a crossover they will sell 1 million units.

So this would explain MB low selling of wagons, if they call it a Low Roof Sports Crossover, they would sell more of them? Just asking....

Mercedes has some wagon loyalists, this why the E-class wagon remains, and that is an affluent buyer group.

If the Sales person tells a buyer this is the new XF crossover sport, some dopes will buy it just because they think it is a crossover.  Call anything a crossover and give it awd and the sheep will line up to buy it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Today's Birthdays

1. bmerriman
      bmerriman
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Last week, Ford unveiled the Raptor Ranger. The bad news as we reported was the model wasn't going to come here, but a tweet from Ford's North America Product Communications manager gave some hope that possibly, a smaller Raptor could come.
      More fuel has been added to this fire via some comments made by the chief engineer for Ford Performance, Jamal Hameedi. Speaking with Australian outlet Drive, Hameedi said the truck "would do really well in the states."
      “I think it’s certainly like it’s a baby Raptor, it depends what you’re looking for. There are a lot of people that just want that size in a pickup truck and they don’t want anything larger,” said Hameedi. 
      Hameedi went on to say that the diesel engine found in the Ranger Raptor would likely be swapped for a gas engine.
      “I think most American off-roaders would actually prefer a petrol gas engine, but a diesel is the absolute way to go for the rest of the world.”
      We think a version of Ford's 2.3 EcoBoost could be the engine of choice for a U.S. variant. 
      But it will likely be a while before a final decision is made on the Ranger Raptor coming to the U.S.
      “We haven’t said anything about availability in the US, our first priority is to get a Raptor available to everyone on the planet earth. So Americans already have an F-150 Raptor, we’ve got to spread Raptors to the rest of the planet,” said Hameedi.
      Source: Drive

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Last week, Ford unveiled the Raptor Ranger. The bad news as we reported was the model wasn't going to come here, but a tweet from Ford's North America Product Communications manager gave some hope that possibly, a smaller Raptor could come.
      More fuel has been added to this fire via some comments made by the chief engineer for Ford Performance, Jamal Hameedi. Speaking with Australian outlet Drive, Hameedi said the truck "would do really well in the states."
      “I think it’s certainly like it’s a baby Raptor, it depends what you’re looking for. There are a lot of people that just want that size in a pickup truck and they don’t want anything larger,” said Hameedi. 
      Hameedi went on to say that the diesel engine found in the Ranger Raptor would likely be swapped for a gas engine.
      “I think most American off-roaders would actually prefer a petrol gas engine, but a diesel is the absolute way to go for the rest of the world.”
      We think a version of Ford's 2.3 EcoBoost could be the engine of choice for a U.S. variant. 
      But it will likely be a while before a final decision is made on the Ranger Raptor coming to the U.S.
      “We haven’t said anything about availability in the US, our first priority is to get a Raptor available to everyone on the planet earth. So Americans already have an F-150 Raptor, we’ve got to spread Raptors to the rest of the planet,” said Hameedi.
      Source: Drive
    • By William Maley
      Subaru will be launching their first plug-in hybrid for the U.S. later this year and plans on offering a full electric vehicle in 2021. But to pull both of these off, Subaru is enlisting various automakers to help.
      Takeshi Tachimori, Subaru's chief technical officer said they are drawing heavily on partnerships with Daihatsu, Hino, Mazda, Suzuki, and Toyota to help with the upcoming plug-in hybrid and EV. The reason for using the expertise of other automakers is Subaru's r&d budget doesn't stretch to include in-house development of these models.
      "We can't engage in a large-scale development," he told Automotive News.
      As more stringent emission regulations come into effect around the world, Subaru is counting on this plan to meet them.
      Tachimori also talked about the upcoming plug-in hybrid. While he wouldn't reveal what model it will be based on, he did say the model would use the powertrain from the Toyota Prius Prime with a twist: the gas engine will be one of Subaru's boxer engines.
      "For our plug-in hybrid to be introduced this year, we have used Toyota's technologies as much as possible," said Tachimori.
      The plug-in hybrid will be sold initially in states that have adopted California's zero-emission vehicle regulations.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Subaru will be launching their first plug-in hybrid for the U.S. later this year and plans on offering a full electric vehicle in 2021. But to pull both of these off, Subaru is enlisting various automakers to help.
      Takeshi Tachimori, Subaru's chief technical officer said they are drawing heavily on partnerships with Daihatsu, Hino, Mazda, Suzuki, and Toyota to help with the upcoming plug-in hybrid and EV. The reason for using the expertise of other automakers is Subaru's r&d budget doesn't stretch to include in-house development of these models.
      "We can't engage in a large-scale development," he told Automotive News.
      As more stringent emission regulations come into effect around the world, Subaru is counting on this plan to meet them.
      Tachimori also talked about the upcoming plug-in hybrid. While he wouldn't reveal what model it will be based on, he did say the model would use the powertrain from the Toyota Prius Prime with a twist: the gas engine will be one of Subaru's boxer engines.
      "For our plug-in hybrid to be introduced this year, we have used Toyota's technologies as much as possible," said Tachimori.
      The plug-in hybrid will be sold initially in states that have adopted California's zero-emission vehicle regulations.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
    • By William Maley
      Jaguar has been busy teasing their first electric vehicle, the I-Pace since it made its debut at the 2016 LA Auto Show. Now we have a date when Jaguar will reveal the production model. 
      On March 1st, Jaguar will do a livestream debuting the production I-Pace - only a few days before the start of the Geneva Motor Show. Jaguar will also open up the order books for the EV.
      But there is also an interesting tidbit that the British automaker dropped. The I-Pace is able to get an 80 percent charge of the battery within 45 minutes when plugged into 100-kW DC fast-charging station.
      Source: Jaguar
      Press Release is on Page 2

JAGUAR I-PACE CONCEPT UNDERGOES COLD WEATHER TESTING IN ARJEPLOG, SWEDEN
      The all-electric Jaguar I-PACE will support rapid charging and offer exceptional performance when it goes on sale later this year.
      All-wheel drive performance tested in Artic conditions at -40°F Jaguar confirms the I-PACE will support DC Fast Charging from zero to 80 percent in approximately 45 minutes (1) Jaguar I-PACE to be revealed via live broadcast on March 1, 2018 at 1:00PM ET ahead of Motor Show Debut at Geneva on March 6 WATCH: Scandinavian customer tests I-PACE in extreme conditions https://youtu.be/VOnPjpFa3DU (MAHWAH, N.J) – January 30, 2018 – The all-electric Jaguar I-PACE will support rapid charging and offer exceptional performance when it goes on sale later this year.  Capable of a DC fast charge from zero to 80 percent in approximately 45 minutes1 with a 100kW charger and with sports car performance and SUV practicality, the I-PACE will be well equipped for everyday use – whether on the school run, daily commute or even coping with sub-zero temperatures.
      The Jaguar I-PACE has been rigorously tested across extremes of terrain and temperature at the Jaguar Land Rover cold weather test facility in Arjeplog, Sweden, at temperatures as low as -40°F.
      Tony Westerlund, a potential customer from Sweden, had some interesting questions on living with I-PACE in Arctic conditions, particularly regarding stability and traction on the ice and snow. To answer his questions, Jaguar engineers invited him to Arjeplog to drive the car for the first time and see how it’s been tested to ensure performance in extreme conditions: https://youtu.be/VOnPjpFa3DU.
      “Not only will the I-PACE charge quickly enough for our customers to carry out their everyday lives, it will offer powerful and precise performance in a variety of conditions and climactic extremes. Allied with the versatile credentials of our celebrated PACE family, this will be an electric performance SUV like no other,” said Ian Hoban, Jaguar Vehicle Line Director.
      While plugged into power, customers will be able to prepare the car’s battery and cabin temperature ahead of a journey without tapping into the battery’s range. Pre-conditioning the car ensures maximum range, performance and comfort whether temperatures are freezing cold or extremely hot.  Setting up preferred charging times and pre-conditioning schedules can be done from either the on-board Jaguar InControl® system2, or the Jaguar InControl® Remote™ smartphone app.
      The Jaguar I-PACE will be revealed in a live global broadcast on March 1, 2018 at 1:00PM ET/19:00 CET and will go on to make its public debut at the Geneva Motor Show on March 6, 2018. To find out more about the all-electric performance SUV ahead of its reveal, or to be one of the first to own one, click the ‘I want one’ button at: www.jaguarusa.com

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook