Not that technical but related to exterior car care

Hi folks:

My LaCrosse has the highly "chromed" and bling laden grille common to the '08 and '09.  It is not chromed at all, but plastic.  I was almost going to buy chrome cleaner but did a little homework by reading the instructions on the can of chrome cleaner and as well as getting the opinion of the guy working at O'Reilly's ... and nixed that idea real quick.  One is not supposed to use chrome cleaner on these areas, let alone on this car, probably, since there is little to no chrome.

I've just washed the car and then dried this area off.  I'd like to know if there are specific ways to care for these areas:

1)  the plastic chrome effect on the grille

2)  the blacked out areas on around the windows on the door frames, which are in very good shape but have some dull spots

I sure wish they had blacked out the grille, or at least more of it.

Any ideas on products for these specific components and/or how you should take care of them?

Thanks.

@trinacriabob Howdly, long time no post by ya, glad to see ya back.

Chrome is chrome be it plated on Steel or Plastic so you can use just fine chrome cleaner. Also as stated by many wax companies if you are worried about a thin chrome plating, then just use your standard wax cleaner for the paint job and the chromed plastic bits.

Meguiar's makes both a good wax cleaner and chrome cleaner. More important is to make sure you do not get the cleaner on your rubber parts as it usually does not come off and you have marks on the rubber then.

Your grill is a plastic grill, but it is chrome plated and so chrome cleaner will work on it just fine.

33 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Chrome is not chrome. They don't use the same procedures on steel as plastic and plastic vacuum-metalized chrome isn't remotely as durable. U can use 0000 or 000 steel wool on chromed steel but don't dare try that on plastic.

Agreed, you are right in regards to using steel wool on chromed plastic and I would not do that but the question of using a cleaning product such as a wax cleaner or liquid chrome cleaner is not a problem for Chromed plastics. In regards to using today's multiple liquid options of cleaning chrome grills that are chrome plated plastic, you can do this without a problem.

• Agree 1

Ok, thanks for that info, gents.  I will buy that product before the weather turns sour and apply it and wipe it off with a cloth.

What about the black plastic surrounds on the window frames which are typical on most new cars for the last decade or so?  I detect some minor spots which indicate some fading.

9 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Ok, thanks for that info, gents.  I will buy that product before the weather turns sour and apply it and wipe it off with a cloth.

What about the black plastic surrounds on the window frames which are typical on most new cars for the last decade or so?  I detect some minor spots which indicate some fading.

I usually use on the plastic bits Meguiar's black plastic restorer. Works pretty good and usually can find it online pretty cheap. You can also use Armor All Trim and Plastic restorer. Both work great at giving you a black black trim. Very clean.