What would cause this?

Paolino

So, parents are away for an extended period of time.  I try to drive their 2013 LaCrosse once every week or two just to move it around.

Today something odd happened... started it up, and the first things I noticed is there was no gauge sweep and the animation for the LCD screen between the tach/speedometer was out of sync with the animation on the radio's screen.  I figured, no big deal.

I put the car in reverse, reverse camera comes on, sensors pick up that a girl is walking past the car on her way to the bus stop, everything is normal.  I back up, shift into drive, and start going along my way.  About a minute into the drive, the radio screen goes black, reboots, and now is showing the startup animation.

Car is driving perfectly fine.  I get to work, no problem.  I go to leave work, start up the car, same thing... animations are not in sync, no gauge sweep.  This time the radio stayed on without restarting.

I checked the numbers for the volt meter, and although it was SLIGHTLY higher than normal (it is usually mid 14's and today it was 15.2), it wasn't really showing anything alarming.  Again, car feels fine.

Just a fluke?  Anything to be concerned about?

Two possibilities -

1. The battery is toast, you just haven't hit totally dead yet, and the alternator is working overtime to try and keep it charged. Drive this way too long (a couple weeks to a month) and you'll toast the alternator too.

2. The voltage regulator is toast (this means you'll need a new alternator) and will eventually kill the battery too if driven for even just a week of normal usage.   You can potentially fry other electronics in the car as well.

Easiest step is to take the battery to be tested somewhere.  If it tests good, schedule an electrical system check somewhere and be prepared (or warn your parents in this case) for an alternator replacement that could be coming.

The graphics being wonky are probably just a symptom of abnormal electrical system operation.

• Agree 1

It's probably the battery--it's the original!  I'm going to leave it for them to cope with--they'll be home soon and I'm insanely busy.  Why this ended up in the Cadillac forum instead of the Lounge where I thought I posted it, I don't know.

Thanks for the response.