Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Major Oil leak on '00 ALero

BuddyP

No it's not the oil filter or drain plug. 2000 Alero 2.4L twin cam motor. Just started leaking BAD. From underneath the car looking up, it looks like the oil is coming from somewhere around the manafold area (cam cover, head gasket???) and running down the backside of the motor. Underside of car is covered pretty good. Just went down 1 qt of oil on a 120 mile drive. Seems that if it were the head gasket I'd have coolant issues too? The back side of the cam cover just above the manifold looks a little oily but not like it does below the manifold. Whole back side of motor under manifold is covered with oil. Any thoughts before I tear into this thing? Thanks Buddy P [email protected] Edited by BuddyP

Ahh the LD9. . . I would hate to say it's your head gasket, but I think it is. I havent had any oil leaks on mine but from what I hear the main leak could be from the head gasket. . . prepare to bend over if you have to take it to a shop. . twin cams are no fun to work on.

MGZ06, the same thought was in the back of my head. The area just below the cam cover was too dry and just under the manifold is soaked. The coolant is clean which made me think that it maybe wasn't a head gasket, but it's not to say it's only bad where the oil jackets are. It's actually my g/f's car, luckily her step bro-in-law is a head mechanic at a GM dealer and is doing a lot of side work out of his shop at home.... soooo labor should be pretty reasonable. I may go over some night to lend a hand. Car is there now.