Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

DRIVEN: 2018 Volkswagen Atlas 2.0t S FWD

For comparison, see my previous review of the Atlas 3.6 SE here

DRIVEN: 2018 Volkswagen Atlas 2.0t S FWD, $32,030

HIGHS:

A conservative, butch, truckish shape that works well for the large 3 row crossover segment, on VW's first honest try.

A+ on vehicle packaging.  Considering the physical size, and usage of space; 3 spacious rows, usable cargo, great seating options (still applies).  Very easy to get in and out of.

Second row slides forward and backward.  Genius how it can tilt forward for good access to third row, which can have real leg room for adults when all three rows are set up well.  (still applies)

Seating height in second row and leg and foot space is fine even for large Murchan midwestern men.  Second row is wide, too.  7 out to lunch, no problem (still applies).  So much room inside and packaged well.  WIDE ARMREST!  ELBOW ROOM!

Large windows and great visibility coupled with a just right stance and driving position.  Center console is big and wide, despite wide seats, no loss of leg space due to console (CX-9 please take notes).  (STILL APPLIES).  So nice and airy inside.  Reminds me of the old Mitsubishi Endeavor but with a third row.

Interior in Titan Black cloth is quite plain, but at the same time, it is plain done ok, and functionally its simple and well laid out, when it's at this price point.  At higher trims and price points, yes, let's second guess it a bit.

Lots less bulk than the v6. And the steering is just a delight for this kind of vehicle.  Just about perfect quickness on the rack, and you can actually feel things through the wheel.  Plus, it feels light for it's size.  Still doesn't feel totally like a sedan, but the 2.0 is among the lighter feeling large SUV's.  It might be the only one in its class to actually be enjoyable to PILOT.  See what i did there?  Why does this seem to drive entirely different than the v6 version?

Nice brakes, great feel.

Autostop can be turned off.  This is becoming more common.  YAY

The 2.0 actually has some scoot.  And it can either be nice and smooth on the highway at cruising speed, or rather vocal and gnarly sounding if you lean on it.  Like your spouse, it's growly when you first wake it up, but if you back off and be nice to it, it settles in and is easy going and agreeable.  Transmission will kick down if you ask it too without much delay.  When it settles in at cruise speeds its not all that strained.  And it's fairly quiet inside.

LOWS:

Ride can be a bit bouncy sometimes.  Sort of antithetical to the sharp steering.

See gnarly powertrain comments above.  It does suck that for as basically decent as the powertrain is, if it wasn't growly and a bit smoother this package would really be a rock star.

S model does not have keyless access and start.  Having to stick a key in a lock and turn it, that is a bygone era.  For that reason alone, and the lack of blind spot monitors, i would need to go to the next trim.  And with that comes leatherette, too.  BOOYAH

SUMMARY:

While the four cylinder 2.0 S model is very different in character vs. the more trimmed up 3.6 v6 versions, it still does the main parts the same.  Functional, roomy, efficient, comfortable, easy to see out of, etc.  Some folks don't need or want the added weight and drag of AWD (ironic I say this as a new winter storm is dumping inches of the white stuff as we speak).  Having the less expensive, less trimmed front drive only version, done decently like it is here just allows some customers to move up easier from the compact SUV class for more room with less $$$, and have something enjoyable to drive for the price too.  While the powertrain performs better than expected, I knock it a bit for it's added growlyness.  If VW could retune that sound a bit to something enjoyable, and add keyless to the 'S' trim are the most notable flaws, that's not much to nitpick.  Rather strange, between this, and the new Tiguan, I am beginning to like some VW's again.  This was surprisingly delightful, for what it is.  A-

Edited by regfootball