Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2018 Volkswagen Atlas SE 3.6 AWD w/ technology

DRIVEN: 2018 Volkswagen Atlas 3.6L V6 SE w/Technology A8 SUV   MSRP  $40,285

HIGHS:

FINALLY something to drive real traffic in a VW showroom!!!  Really, this (and the new Tiguan) will save Volkswagen and make them relevant again.

After a second consideration, this is a very crisp, conservative shape that will play well in its market.  Bland, sure, and a bit truckish perhaps, but that's what it wants to be.

A+ on vehicle packaging.  Considering the physical size, and usage of space; 3 spacious rows, usable cargo, great seating options.

Second row slides forward and backward.  Genius how it can tilt forward for good access to third row, which can have real leg room for adults when all three rows are set up well.

Seating height in second row and leg and foot space is fine even for large Murchan midwestern men.  Second row is wide, too.  7 out to lunch, no problem.

Large windows and great visibility coupled with a just right stance and driving position.  Center console is big and wide, despite wide seats, no loss of leg space due to console (CX-9 please take notes).

Cargo area trimmed out decently with material that looks like it will wear a bit longer than some others.  Third row seats easy to fold forward.

3.6 litre v6 and automatic transmission are smooth and seamless as a team.  No bad behavior.  Engine is not a crazy revver with a deep throat and lungs, but it does not fuss, and it dishes out torque nicely.  Really makes the Mazda CX-9 four-pot turbo seem crappy and silly.

Vehicle is very quiet inside, I mean VERY.  Many space vessel vehicles are loud inside just because of so much surface area exposed inside, but this thing will be a great road cruiser.

The available moonroof setup is really nice.  If you are looking at this vehicle and it has it, it is a nice big size and it doesn't cut into headroom.

Guess what.  YOU CAN TURN OFF THE AUTO STOP START!  (which by the way seemed to work ok when it did kick in).

The heft of the vehicle makes it feel SOLID.

Not maybe needed in this age of technology but it is nice to see CD drive and USB + SD card and other ports available in the glove box.  For those of us who still occassionally by a CD and want to listen to it on the way home, thank you.

LOWS:

Like a lot of the 10's era VW stablemates, we can say there is interior cheapness and bland interior design. Most of it is due to plastics that could stand to be nicer, and a bit of a simple and dull looking main dash layout.

Despite my compliments on the powertrain above, I do think it could display more reserves in top end power, willingness to rev, and a throatier sound.

Hate to say this since VW's are supposed to handle German well, but the steering is loose and mushy and the suspension seems a bit floppy when you start working the steering wheel other than pointed straight ahead into the interstate sunset.  In fact, overall, while trying to appeal to the trucklike wannabe crowd, VW fails by needing to inject more of a carlike ride, handling, and steering.

DIC readings for MPG were not very good!!!  But probably not worse than too many other competitors....

While feeling SOLID, the heft of the vehicle can be felt.  Maybe not necessarily bad, but it does feel like the vehicle if it were 2-300 pounds lighter would help with what i mentioned in the line right above.

The tan interior and leatherette saved this from the dour darkness of the standard black cloth interior.  If you can avoid the black interior in the Atlas, please do.

SUMMARY:

I was surprised.  VW has done their homework here and as a result, some other manufacturers who have made big $$$$ off the 3 row SUV segment should be worried that they will lose business to this newcomer.  It doesn't blow you away with any one feature or performance,; it simply makes good on the formula for success.  Good space and packaging, rugged looks and a tough stance, and comfort, quiet and amenities inside.  It is unusual for VW to acquiesce; or shall we say, surrender to the way it is being done outside of their own way.  I think the key here is the Atlas is tailored for North America, and the previous idiots at VW finally got a clue.  Well, watch them sell cars.

It's hard to say if this is the best in class, because it probably isn't....there is so much good competition.  But to be honest, this segment is really about all the choices and VW finally has a seat at the table.  A nice big comfortable recliner chair in fact.  With cupholders, USB ports and wide armrests.  So there will be plenty of folks that choose it.

A- or B+?  OK, because they did get basics right, A-.  Slight knock below a straight A due to the interior blandness and cheapness.

------

Side note, the new Acadia just doesn't impress ME when compared to the Atlas.  Mostly due to styling and packaging, but the new Acadia's powertrain isn't better.  In fact it may not be as good either.  GM really needs to figure out what the eff it is doing with that vehicle.  And lets HOPE the new Traverse isn't a dud like the Acadia.  For me, if it is, the Atlas will fight with a minivan for the spot in the garage in a few months.

Edited by regfootball

I agree with most of your assessment. 

We have had all trim levels of the new Atlas by now, and I've even taken one home for a few days for my wife to see if she likes it.

I disagree with your handling thoughts. The steering is a little lighter and overboosted for my tastes, but I think the vehicle handles well and overall, it feels and drives smaller than it is.

The interior materials are definitely one of it's weaker points, but it can't nail everything.

As for where it stands in the class, it's easily right among the top players. Drives better than most of them, has better packaging than ALL of them, and is priced competitively. It's been a hit so far at our store.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

We have had all trim levels of the new Atlas by now, and I've even taken one home for a few days for my wife to see if she likes it.

I disagree with your handling thoughts. The steering is a little lighter and overboosted for my tastes, but I think the vehicle handles well and overall, it feels and drives smaller than it is.

The interior materials are definitely one of it's weaker points, but it can't nail everything.

As for where it stands in the class, it's easily right among the top players. Drives better than most of them, has better packaging than ALL of them, and is priced competitively. It's been a hit so far at our store.

Excellent, I am liking these more as time goes on.  I agree with the OP for the most part.

23 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

curious if there is only one suspension tune or more than one.  Hey, maybe the tires on my ride were uber underinflated too.  Just far too much slop and bobbing, at least the one i drove.

12 hours ago, regfootball said:

curious if there is only one suspension tune or more than one.  Hey, maybe the tires on my ride were uber underinflated too.  Just far too much slop and bobbing, at least the one i drove.

Not sure.

I drove an SEL Premium for the first time a few days ago, and it DID seem to be a little more competent. Could have just been the road, though.

I think I am going to buy either an SE w/ Tech or SEL Premium. In Tourmaline Blue and w/ AWD. Not sure yet. I'm not going to pull the trigger until I drive the new Tiguan.

10 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Not sure.

I drove an SEL Premium for the first time a few days ago, and it DID seem to be a little more competent. Could have just been the road, though.

I think I am going to buy either an SE w/ Tech or SEL Premium. In Tourmaline Blue and w/ AWD. Not sure yet. I'm not going to pull the trigger until I drive the new Tiguan.

Looking forward to the Tiguan.  I think it will be a GINORMOUS improvement and will probably sell like no other VW.

• Agree 1

On 6/10/2017 at 7:36 PM, regfootball said:

Looking forward to the Tiguan.  I think it will be a GINORMOUS improvement and will probably sell like no other VW.

Yeah, I think the Tiguan is going to be a big hit. It pretty much has to, but still.

I'm thinking Orange or White Silver on a Tiguan, and if I buy one of those, it's definitely going to be fully loaded.

58 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Yeah, I think the Tiguan is going to be a big hit. It pretty much has to, but still.

I'm thinking Orange or White Silver on a Tiguan, and if I buy one of those, it's definitely going to be fully loaded.

That would be a good choice also.

29 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Plus, I can just imagine how fun it'd be with a JB4 93 tune. 250-260hp and 300tq in that thing would be a riot. And keep the warranty. 

Ohhh absolutely!

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-volkswagen-atlas-v-6-4motion-test-review?src=socialflowFB&mag=cdb&dom=tw

"The trade-off for that ride quality, not surprisingly, is a considerable amount of body roll; even when pushed, though, the Atlas remains predictable and secure, turning in 0.84 g around the skidpad and stopping from 70 mph in a competitive 174 feet."

I kind of feel like they got a lot of the same impressions I did