Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Olds Rocket Neon from a dealership

This is/was a local Olds dealer in my town. They just covered up the "Oldsmobile" and "Aurora" signs on their awnings, but still have this "Rocket" neon light in the window. This is the first time in years that I've actualy seen it lit up. They are turning the dealership into a used car/UG truck dealer and a repair shop is moving in. Right now inside there are older Vettes, a 1st gen Viper, old Falcon.

Posted Image

Just thought I'd take a pic of it thins morning to share...

Hey Walt, I wonder if they'll sell it? It would be quite the conversation piece if placed into someone's garage. The Olds dealer in the town I grew up in got rid of all of their Olds stuff (either gave it away, salespeople took it, or god-forbid, they threw it all away int he garbage). Thanks for this picture; it ranks up there with the Olds dealership sign Sixty8 posted a few weeks ago.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

About 10 years ago a local Chevy dealer closed down. I took the frosted plexiglas "CHEVROLET" inserts from the sign out front (about 3'x6'), and dug the individual boxed steel letters, 2 sets about 12" high), that spelled out "CHEVROLET" from the dumpster out back. Sold all of it for $250.

GM's Heritage Collection sells vintage repro neon dealership signs, tho initially they're limited to a production run of 100 each, it seems. Site won't allow pic linking:

http://www.gmphotostore.com/products.asp?dept=1280&display=0

Heh...interesting that they waited this long, Walt....

And, balthazar ... cool link ... thank you. Too bad they are sssoo pricey :(.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"The stars might lie, but the numbers never do" ... Mary Chapin-Carpenter ... 'I Feel Lucky'

That's cool!!!

There's a place close to where I go to school that was a Pontiac dealership. It STILL had the old verticle neon Pontiac sign with the OLD chief logo at the bottom (Nostalgia buffs will know what I'm talking about) When I found it, my girlfriend and I tried to see if we could buy the sign. But, luckily someone bought the building and turned it into a classy restaurant called Pontiac Point and used the sign.

Very cool!!!

Gotta love ebay... there's some cool GM-themed neon

lighting products on there, I bought the Firebird logo one.