Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Looky what I witnessed this morning

This morning, my friends and I were witness to one of the coolest things in my area for some time.

The local mothballed coal fired plant called Lakeview, a long-standing waterfront landmark in Toronto's west end, had its smoke stacks toppled!

It looked surreal in person. They fell in a semi-slow-motion way, with a loud thud and plumes of smoke.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Check out the videos shot by CTV News :thumbsup: :

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTV...hub=TorontoHome

Demos are cool in person so much different in real life. I saw the Hudson's building in Detroit go down. Its crazy how much dust is formed and how they get it to fall where they want. i would just strap millions of sticks of T~N~T to the building and let er rip but i guess thats why i dont do demolition.

Yeah, I heard about this from a few people that live out that way. Good thing it has been cool lately or else we'd be stocking up on candles again, like in '03.

With clean coal technology available in Europe and with 500 years supply of coal just across the border in Pennsylvania, I think it is a shame that Ontario isn't exploring the coal option a little more.

But McGuinty promised the coal plants will come down and come down they are!

I understand why they're applauding since no one got hurt but

at the same time it's kind of like applauding at an excecution

once the blade comes down through the person's neck. Kind of

weird. That's kind fo call how they were used by boats to

navigate and even had a cool nickname.

Balthazar:

Agreed, although there's a couple brands in this country now

who's factories I'd love to see torn down.